• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    visvivalaw
    User

• visvivalaw
    replied
    Re: Disney

I emailed and asked: "When will applicants be notified? I've heard that the first step is a phone interview. Have those already started?"

I got an auto reply but a day later an actual person wrote back:

"We are currently getting those organized.
    We should have answers by mid December."

Leave a comment:

• acquaformosa
    Regular

• acquaformosa
    replied

And the experience I related (above) was from 2004-05 (can barely remember now).

I was so naive and ill-informed that when I got the call, I thought of it more as a casual conversation and it never occurred to me until later that it was an "interview" (of sorts) and that the fly-down part of the process was yet to be determined. So I wasn't "on" (in interview terms) and sometimes wonder if that had any sort of adverse effect. Would have liked the experience of flying down.

The part that always confuses me -- I'm not a minority and somewhere in their Web site writeup I seem to recall some sort of mission statement about minority writers. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Too lazy to go check.

Leave a comment:

• glantern2814
    User

• glantern2814
    replied

I was a finalist in features in 2002, and you didn't have to worry about a second script. I did the phone interview a couple of days after Thanksgiving. That lasted about 20-30 minutes and included questions on why I wanted to write, what my background was, and how the script I submitted came about.

A few days later (I forget how long), I was told I was a finalist and flown to LA for about a 10-minute meeting. They scheduled all of us (11 in all going for five slots) in one afternoon.

You go into a big board room and there are about 15 executives there, firing questions pretty much at the same time. You just try to answer them the best you can. It's not particularly well-organized, but I felt I performed OK, all things considered. It's a great experience, even if you aren't picked, and it's neat to walk around the Disney campus.

One of the people who interviewed a couple of slots after me was picked for a fellowship. She later sold both the script that she had submitted and the one she developed during her Fellowship year. One of her scripts is slated for 2011 on IMDB, but I can't get the details since I'm not on IMDBpro.

My script was an historical drama, very un-Disney-like, so I didn't expect to get as far as I did. But even being a finalist opened some doors for me.

Leave a comment:

• morecaffeineplease
    New User

• morecaffeineplease
    replied

Thanks for the input.

Maybe it's a different process with features (that was the part I was interested in mainly)?

I've seen on several board archives, people talking about having to send an extra script when they become semifinalists. Usually you have two or three days to send it. I was wondering when that is -- before or after the phone interview? (I've heard you get a call telling you that they will be calling to interview...is that right, that they phone to set up an appointment for a phone interview that takes place several days later?)

Again, I'm confused by all the steps, here, and very curious....

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks

• JoeBanks
    replied

he's referring to the fact that some applicants in the past who have been "on the bubble" for acceptance have been asked to provide a second script -- usually an original pilot -- for further consideration

Leave a comment:

• acquaformosa
    Regular

• acquaformosa
    replied

Second script? If you're referring to the script that's part of winning the Fellowship, that happens after the selecting/interviewing is all finished (part of the agreement for winning -- writing a script within 2009).

I can't speak for the entire process since I didn't make it past the phone call, but I believe:

- phone screen/interview (of some sort)
    - shortlist of people selected to fly down for face-to-face interview
    - final decisions rendered

For the purposes of placement or terminology, I suppose the phone call stage is being a "semi-finalist" and making the face-to-face is being a "finalist", etc.

Leave a comment:

• morecaffeineplease
    New User

• morecaffeineplease
    replied

Bono, or someone who's been a semifinalist, can you explain the steps here?
    Do they ask for the second script first, and then set up a phone interview if they like the second script? Or do they do the phone interview first, and ask for a second script if you make it to the next step? I tried finding this out in the archives but it isn't clear. What happens in the semi round, and the final round? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• scavenge
    replied

I was waiting for somebody to start this up, I'm on tenderhooks waiting...

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks

• JoeBanks
    replied

Remember that the deadline was about a month later than usual this year due to the writers' strike. They may be shifting other fellowship-related activities up accordingly

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Who knows when they will do it this year... Probably next week, Oct 29th, Wednesday because Nov 1st is a Saturday....

I assume before the election, but just a guess.

Leave a comment:

• meemee2000
    Regular

• meemee2000
    replied

I'll clear my calendar for Nov 1st so I'll have plenty of time for the call.

Leave a comment:

• Colt45
    replied

I've never entered, but I did this year...here's hoping.

EDIT: How does it work exactly? Semi finals, quarter finals? How many finalists are there usually?

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    started a topic Disney

Disney

I think when I made the Semi they called me Nov 1.... my point is... that time of year again.

Excited to see what happens this year!
Working...
X