Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney

I know we all know things have taken longer then expected. I just wanted to pass along the email I received from Disney last night.

"Hey, David. We put our selection process on hold for the 2009 season,
    however we're back up and running now and we should be notifying people
    shortly. Thank you."

Hopefully we will all know soon.

Good Luck,

David Byrne

Comment

I got a response to my email to Disney:

We're looking at mid-February for the final selection. Everyone should be notified at the same time.

I sent an email asking if the phone interviews have started yet and to my surprise got a quick response:

Phone interviews have not started yet.

Comment

http://www.wga.org/writtenby/writtenbysub.aspx?id=842
        i'm not really a new user...

Comment

The Written By article was interesting, but kind of a tease. I'm curious to know what the day-to-day experience of this Fellowship is like. What do they do? How often do they go to the Studio, or to an event of some kind? What kind of events/speakers do they attend? How many scripts are they expected to write? Is it a demanding, planned schedule, or does Disney basically leave you alone to work? Do Fellows spend a lot of time with one another as a group? Do the Feature and TV Fellows ever mix together, or are they completely separate programs?

Is there anyone on Done Deal who's participated in this program who'd like to give us a peek inside the program? Or does anyone know of any blogs which detail the experience of the Disney Fellowship?

So many questions. I'm intrigued by this program, mainly because I know almost nothing about it.
          Last edited by cyberian exile; 01-15-2009, 12:14 AM. Reason: Because spelling and grammar errors are the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard....

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
            The Written By article was interesting, but kind of a tease. I'm curious to know what the day-to-day experience of this Fellowship is like. What do they do? How often do they go to the Studio, or to an event of some kind? What kind of events/speakers do they attend? How many scripts are they expected to write? Is it a demanding, planned schedule, or does Disney basically leave you alone to work? Do Fellows spend a lot of time with one another as a group? Do the Feature and TV Fellows ever mix together, or are they completely separate programs?

Is there anyone on Done Deal who's participated in this program who'd like to give us a peek inside the program? Or does anyone know of any blogs which detail the experience of the Disney Fellowship?

So many questions. I'm intrigued by this program, mainly because I know almost nothing about it.
            I don't know if things have changed since I was there, but I can tell you how it was for me (I was on the TV side).

What do they do?
            Write. Pure and simple. On the TV side you were required to go in to the studio every day. Sometimes for the full day, sometimes for part of the day. Still, you were expected to be writing. For the TV people it was working on your specs, on the feature side you were working on your feature.

How often do they go to an event? What kind of events/speakers do they attend?
            In the beginning it seemed like there was something planned every day for the entire group (TV and feature at the same time). It usually consisted of meeting studio and network executives, producers, directors, agents, managers, writers. There were no real events, just meeting in a conference room. Still, they were very intimate and informative.

How many scripts are they expected to write?
            On the feature side you write only one script. It's almost as if you are on assignment. You pitch ideas until they hear one that you like. After that, you're off to the races. You have a year to complete.

Is it a demanding, planned schedule, or does Disney basically leave you alone to work?
            It's as demanding as you make it. They expect you to turn in work but they are not hovering over you shoulder. You get treated like an adult. I wrote four specs in my year and a pilot on my own time. It helps to have a sense of urgency.

Do Fellows spend a lot of time with one another as a group?
            Yes. We did at the beginning. And when you come in to the office you see them around. You definitely get to know people.

Do the Feature and TV Fellows ever mix together, or are they completely separate programs?
            The programs are separate, but you get together for the meetings with the special guests.

Comment

Great insight. Thanks for sharing the experience...

Comment

Yes, thanks a lot!

Comment

Thanks for the scoop, Artisone. Now I can understand why I've never seen a Fellow blog about the experience. Who would have time?

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
                    Thanks for the scoop, Artisone. Now I can understand why I've never seen a Fellow blog about the experience. Who would have time?
                    I actually had a blog called "Let Me In" I started it when I applied to the fellowship and continued it all throughout. When I started going out for general meetings after the fellowship was over, my agent asked me to take it down. Apparently, executives google your name when you go in to meet with them. They get nervous when they find out you have a blog.

Comment

Based on that do you think those of us aspiring to be in your position shouldn't have blogs, or do you think a blog is ok until you get into your position?

The big reason is so we don't talk about people, goings-on and some hush-hush ideas, right?

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                        Based on that do you think those of us aspiring to be in your position shouldn't have blogs, or do you think a blog is ok until you get into your position?

The big reason is so we don't talk about people, goings-on and some hush-hush ideas, right?
                        No. Go ahead an write your blog. Just don't mention the names and places of people who you meet. My agent told me that before you get in the door, go ahead and write about the struggle, but once you're in - shut up.

Comment

thanks, artisone. that was more than i've ever heard.
                          i'm not really a new user...

Comment

Website response....

2009 DISNEY FEATURE WRITING FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
                            January 08, 2009

Due to the overwhelming response and increased submissions, we hope to make our final decisions by early February, 2009

This website will be updated as more information becomes available.

Comment

I guess people should be hearing something this week or next.

Comment

I emailed a few days ago asking for an update. I got this today:

"Looks like by mid February should be our final decisions. Though my office doesn't handle the phone interviews, I believe they have already begun."

Comment

Working...
                                X