Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrackingB Contest

Allow me to preface this post with an apology. Even though I'm on the site daily, I rarely contribute, as I usually do not feel like an authority on the majority of topics being discussed. Nevertheless, I do commend and appreciate the posters who continue to share their advice and experiences for the rest of us looking to crack into the industry. After all, that is the end game here for most of us.

Well, I finally feel like an authority on a topic and I want to make sure that a golden opportunity isn't missed.

In short, the TrackingB Contest rocks!

I was one of the three finalists in their inaugural contest and I still can't believe what that has translated into. My script was requested by nearly every agency, many managers, and a host of production companies. I received multiple offers for representation and ended up signing with a great boutique lit agent (only because I've been with the big agencies in a different medium and have suffered being the small fish/big pond). And I do not regret that decision for a second.

A huge prodco responsible for some of the biggest script sales this year attached themselves almost immediately and we then commenced on four months of development. The script is now at a place that everyone is happy with and it just started going out to A-list talent. Yes, this is the super-condensed version of events. I will hopefully get into more detail soon.

My point is that I was 1 out of only 500 submissions in little known TrackingB and got exposed to everyone a Nicholl's finalist hopes to get exposed to. And they have to beat out 5,000 other hopefuls.

And I highly doubt that the vast majority of the non-Nicholls contests that get touted on these boards have anywhere near the same reach as TrackingB. How much money gets spent by Done Dealers on rinky dink contests that don't even get you read if you WIN!

I'll be honest...I had no idea what I was getting into when I sent in my TrackingB application last year. But now I can personally vouch that it is a game changer and a must for anyone looking for good odds to break in.

The industry panel that votes on the winner is even larger than last years. Check out the list below.

Please pardon what may sound like a sales pitch. I just felt a responsibility to share my experience and thoughts just as I benefited from the insights of others.

Good Luck!

THE INDUSTRY PANEL:
    Adam Marshall - manager/producer - Energy Entertainment
    Elena Brooks - creative executive - CBS Films
    David Karp - agent - Endeavor
    Janet Jeffries - development executive - Lawrence Bender Productions
    Lucas Carter - director of development - The Weinstein Company
    Erik Andreasen - VP of development - DiNovi Pictures
    Justin Killion - manager/producer - Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment
    Jennifer Hilton - director of development - Liddell Entertainment
    Caren Bohrman - agent/owner - The Bohrman Agency
    Norm Todd - creative executive - Infinitum Nihil
    Jessica L. Jordan - manager - Mad Hatter Entertainment
    Chris Charambulous - creative executive - Irish Dreamtime
    Charisse Nesbitt - creative executive - Lionsgate Films
    Anil Kurian - VP of development - Intrepid Pictures
    Russ Cundiff - partner/producer - DiVide Pictures

Re: TrackingB Contest

This is a very unique and worthwhile contest and everybody knows that I give extra scrutiny to pretty much everything related to new writers. Trackingb.com and its contest has my full throated endorsement.

My crime drama DOYLESTOWN was an honorable mention last year and I really believe placing in the trackingb contest was the impetus of the successes that followed...

1) Signing with manager Rhonda Bloom
    2) Signing with UTA
    3) Attaching a top level producer to one of my specs

Every step of the way The Insider has been there to offer counsel, support and give the occasional endorsement when necessary and appropriate. I feel like he is a true supporter of my career and has been a supporter even before any of the above happened.

I also think very highly of Abstract Entertainment and have had very positive interactions with Mike Goldberg over there. He's a class act and a great, emerging manager. The Abstract prize along with the other high level industry exposure the trackingb.com contest offers make this definitely a worthwhile (and relatively minimal) investment for new writers.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Is there a list of this year's winners somewhere? I'd like to see what kind of scripts rose to the top.

I'm a member of the site, but didn't see a link to that anywhere.

Comment

http://www.trackingb.com/?p=1281
        twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

500 last year... wonder how many they'll get this year... thinking odds will still be pretty good...

Comment

I'm convinced. I'll give TrackingB a whirl.

Comment

bump... early deadline coming up (Nov.1st)... In general, any thoughts on whether it's better to enter contests early or closer to final deadline? Think readers hold back the great scores until the end??

Comment

Better to enter earlier because it's usually cheaper.

Other than that I don't think it matter if you enter late or early as far as the consideration your script is given.
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Just a reminder to everyone that the TrackingB contest deadline is less than two weeks away.

Last year's contest successfully launched several DD'ers and this year's contest will likely prove to be even bigger and better with more industry judges and the involvement of Abstract Entertainment.

Adam the Insider is a class act and personally vested in the success of his members. If you're looking to break in, this contest is a no-brainer.

Good luck!

Comment

i'm in... i'm in!

just sent a second...

Jsay

Comment

Final deadline is December 1st on this one folks. Get in while you still can. Just heard there are only about 500 or so entries in this so far...so everybody should have a pretty good shot.

Comment

However, it appears that you can enter only if you have a digital script.

Also, I saw no guidelines or rules.

Comment

Well you do have a your script in pdf file i'd hope.

Rules/Entry Guidelines are here...

http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=861

Comment

I've already entered a script but intend to get another one in before the final deadline.

Entered last year but wasn't a selected 8 out of the 500. Fingers and toes crossed for this year.

Comment

Joe9:

I've seen that page, of course, but it's not really a rules and guidlines page.

I guess that we just submit as is.

Comment

Working...
                              X