Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PAGE Feedback...

But do other contests get the same number of entries as PAGE? Last I checked it gets about 5,000 entries from all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
      But do other contests get the same number of entries as PAGE? Last I checked it gets about 5,000 entries from all over the world.
      okay, we can do the math. numbers are from the web sites:

Page 4,000 entries and 70 finalists (no tv or short films counted)
      Nicholl 5,000 entries and 10 finalists
      Expo 3000 entries and 20 finalists

page has 3x as much finalists as the expo even though it has only roughly a third more entrants. they name 10 finalists per genre = 70 where as nicholl and expo finalists are calculated from all entrants.

Comment

But the criteria for entry is different - I can't enter Nicholl because my script has been optioned and funded for development. But I can enter Page because I haven't had a film produced. (Or that's how it stood back when I entered my script.) So there might be (though no guarantee of this) a different quality of script, or at least a different calibre of experience behind the scripts entered in Nicholl versus Page.

Having said that, I was top 10 finalist for the pilot category (different script to the one I optioned) for Page and received no calls or inquiries at all. Not directly from the contest. But I got further with my reads and earning funding etc. because it Page was the highest success I'd achieved at the time. (It helped me get funding for sure, and I had several execs comment on the various successes - although this wasn't the only one, as I said, it was the highest level at the time.)

Now I doubt it counts for much - I have an agent and have a script in development - but I still put it there because it's in TV not film. I also think if you can list several different comps, for different genres and scripts, then that can help a bit in pushing your script a little higher in the slush pile.

I think.
        Or no one gives a rat's arse.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

[quote=nic.h;479049]But the criteria for entry is different - I can't enter Nicholl because my script has been optioned and funded for development. But I can enter Page because I haven't had a film produced. (Or that's how it stood back when I entered my script.) So there might be (though no guarantee of this) a different quality of script, or at least a different calibre of experience behind the scripts entered in Nicholl versus Page.

= this is one of the biggest challenges that I faced. I have worked in local television in my home country (Malaysia) and have earned in excess of what is permitted by the rules in Nicholls or Expo (which are arguably some of the contests with the biggest exposure).

But, telling someone I have over 30 hours of TV credits in a country that most people have never even heard off, much less can find on a map (for those who are curious, it's the bit between Thailand and Singapore) is hardly something that a manager/agent is going to be excited about (and the foreign sounding country makes them wonder if you can even write English). Contests like PAGE remain probably one of the view avenues I have for getting noticed and is reasonably respectable, plus, actually has categories to ensure you are at least up against scripts of a similar nature. Also, I just got an email from Energy Management saying that they read the top 5 in PAGE.

The contest organisers are very prompt, send out a nice newsletter periodically, and I never had to keep checking the website to see if the results were coming out (like Filmmakers - although that's one i would still enter because it also has categories).

Comment

I was a silver prize winner last year and got requests. This year I was a finalist and only got one. I think this may be probably down to how PAGE spends more of their time publicizing their winners. But I don't see why finalists can't lead their own query letters with their PAGE placements.

I think PAGE do a good job building and expanding their reputation. I do consider PAGE to be an extremely well ran contest with excellent communications and organizers that have been very encouraging. Jen has always been awesome.

Comment

Working...
            X