Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAGE Feedback...

Did anyone else actually pay to get feedback from the PAGE contest?

My bro/writing partner had a few bucks laying around and said "why not?"

We got some great feedback. Guy completely got our work, even said it reminded him of Penn's THE INDIAN RUNNER (huge props to us, considering that type of film is right up our alley, and Springsteen's NEBRASKA album is a huge influence).

This is what the feedback preface said about our judge:

*** (initials) started his professional life as a journalist and television producer in New York City. He moved to Los Angeles six years ago and began reading and developing scripts for Showtime, both for television and for their feature production arm. He also reads for Spike TV, who purchased a series pitch from him last year, and for Fox Studios. He joined the PAGE Awards team of judges in 2006.

So, this guy seemed to really like our script, gave it not a "consider," but a "recommend."

Now, by the time we got bounced from the contest (made the top 25 drama scripts), a few months had passed since this judge read it. Obviously our script didn't make as big an impression as we'd hoped, since he never contacted us after the contest.

What I'm wondering is - have any of you that paid for feedback from the PAGE been contacted by the judge that gave the feedback, or have any of you had success in tracking these people down based of the short bio's provided? (which sounds kind of creepy)
    Last edited by ihavebiglips; 11-19-2008, 12:05 AM.

Re: PAGE Feedback...

THE INDIAN RUNNER rules.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
      gave it not only a "consider," but a "recommend."
      Congrats on the solid read. Quick question, how does a reader give you both a consider and a recommend? From my experience I've gotten one or the other. Just curious, bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
        Congrats on the solid read. Quick question, how does a reader give you both a consider and a recommend? From my experience I've gotten one or the other. Just curious, bravo!
        I proofread my scripts better than my DD posts, apparently. I also said "write up our alley." Meh!

How about: not a "consider," but a "recommend."

Yeah, just trying to illustrate that the dude seemed to be digging it, but never followed up and now all we have is his initials, bio, and a creepy feeling as we consider ways to remind him how much he liked our ****.

Comment

I made finals...even found out that my script just BARELY missed out on placing...but apparently that's not high enough to get any producers interested. It's understandable though. I heard that some of the actual WINNERS haven't heard anything...so it's nothing to worry about.

I still plan on entering a new script in PAGE next year. It's a great contest.

Comment

Ask for it! Definitely!

I had my notes about one month ago, and now I'm trimming my script cross-checking the notes two judges gave me.

[Yes, I asked for two judges' responses].

And the notes, though different, both helped a lot.

You can ask for In-Depth Script Notes [9 pages at least] and have your notes back before the 2009 competition begins.

Deadline is saturday 6 December. Or you have to wait until the competition is over.

Go for it!

M.

[I'm not paid to advertise this]

:]

[[More the Contest Coordinators are really wonderful and helpful people]]
            Last edited by marcoguarda; 11-20-2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
              I made finals...even found out that my script just BARELY missed out on placing...but apparently that's not high enough to get any producers interested. It's understandable though. I heard that some of the actual WINNERS haven't heard anything...so it's nothing to worry about.

I still plan on entering a new script in PAGE next year. It's a great contest.
              it sounds like the contest doesnt have enough juice in the industry if even a finalist cant get requests. dont you think entering to win out of the thousand that enter is like wishing for the lotto? not criticizing just wondering.

Comment

I was a bronze drama winner and have had six or seven requests. A couple have passed so far but are open to seeing future scripts.

Comment

it's weird. I was under the impression PAGE was a HUGE contest or..that it had gotten MUCH more prominent the last few years.

I didn't pay for feedback...I didn't want to jinx myself. I figured...hell...I might be lucky enough to make the finals...why mess with what might be a sure thing. Now in hidsight...perhaps if I HAD I might have placed a tad higher.

Oh well. It's all a matter of luck anyway. Lots of good scripts get passed by.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoose View Post
                    I was a bronze drama winner and have had six or seven requests. A couple have passed so far but are open to seeing future scripts.
                    Hi Blue, what kind of companies requested your script?

Comment

Mostly indie producers. But also Industry Arts and a few managers.

Comment

Startin' to think these contests are a complete waste of time and money. Not because I didn't win but...because it just illustrates how good scripts get passed over by a hollywood system more focused on marketing than filmmaking.

I could be wrong though.

Comment

On the other hand what good does it do to spend time and money making a movie from a script if you can't market the completed movie to anyone? It's a pain in the neck to make a movie-- why not have a decent idea you're gonna be able to get some money back before you go sweating and bleeding to make it?

Comment

Yeah, but the thing you have to remember about PAGE is that they name 100 finalists. That's more than most contests quarter-finalists. Nicholl only names, what? Ten finalists? So it's really no surprise that most Page finalists don't get many requests. I mean, personally I actually like that they name a lot of finalists, but obviously they're not going to be able to promote all those scripts.

Hey, Lips, was your judge's initials NS by any chance? I recognize the Spike credit. A guy I know won one of the TV pilot categories last year, and that judge (NS) contacted him and they're now developing a new pilot together. So I know he does contact people.

Comment

Originally posted by wildswan View Post
                              Yeah, but the thing you have to remember about PAGE is that they name 100 finalists. That's more than most contests quarter-finalists. Nicholl only names, what? Ten finalists? So it's really no surprise that most Page finalists don't get many requests. I mean, personally I actually like that they name a lot of finalists, but obviously they're not going to be able to promote all those scripts.

Hey, Lips, was your judge's initials NS by any chance? I recognize the Spike credit. A guy I know won one of the TV pilot categories last year, and that judge (NS) contacted him and they're now developing a new pilot together. So I know he does contact people.
                              thats why PAGE is not a strong contest. too many finalists dilutes the worth of actually being a finalist. even the cs expo only had twenty finalists. and i think this is why nicholl's is held in such high esteem because its all about quality versus quantity. sure they can make more money (PAGE) by handing out more finalists but if there are that many floating around, i believe folks in the industry will balk at that number.

Comment

Working...
                              X