Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl 2009

Does anyone know when they typically open the competition for entries? Greg? May 1 will be fast upon us..

btw, nice pic Greg! Try not to get buried in there..
    pay for soup
    build a fort
    set that on fire

jmb

Re: Nicholl 2009

Usually the application is up from from late January / early February.

M.

Comment

Hey Greg Beal:

I was wondering if you could answer this question for me. I was noticing that "Butter" by Jason A Mecallef won in 2007 and 2008. Does this mean that every winner can put their winning scripts back into the competition if they have already won? I didn't realize that you could.

Tig

Comment

BUTTER didn't win in 2007.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl...6-present.html
        "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Even if you're a finalist, you can re-submit that particular Finalist script in subsequent years. Of course, if you actually win a Fellowship, the chase is over. You no longer need (or be allowed to) submit a screenplay.

Comment

Application update:

We're closing in on making the 2009 Nicholl application available.

Fingers crossing for final testing, but it appears as if online PDF script submissinons will be in the mix for this year. That will make submissions easier for many entrants.

We're shooting for February 16, but it could be after that date.

Fingers crossed again, as it appears that the Nicholl online application process will be stable this year (as in no crashing every 30 minutes on April 30 and May 1).

One major rules change (that probably only affects several dozen entrants): applicants may only submit up to three scripts (previously there was no limit).

It's already been pointed out that Jason Micallef became a Nicholl Fellow only in 2008. In fact, that was the only time he ever entered the competition.

As Acqua pointed out, Nicholl Fellows are not allowed to resubmit to the competition.

Comment

i wonder if its better to submit early.

Comment

Pdf submissions? Awesomeness. Thanks Greg (and staffers)

I do remember Greg answering a question about the best time for submissions. Idealistically, and based on the way Greg coordinates the fellowship program, anytime is a good time to submit.

However, since the scripts are judged by humans, there are some things (biases) you may want to consider, if it matters to you:

Scripts reviewed during the early portion of the timeframe may face strict critiques since it's just beginning, and the number of scripts is too few for the reader to get a feel of how they'll be distributing their grades. They may not want to be so quick to judge a "very good" script as "very good," believing better scripts are to come, so they might grade it "good."

I know the Nicholl uses a number system, I'm just being general about their descriptions.

Scripts reviewed in the middle segment of the timeframe are judged by readers who have grown accustomed to the material submitted, and to their own reasoning for the grades they give.

And for those scripts reviewed during the final portion are being judged by the numerous that have come before them (tough acts to follow).

If my memory serves me well, I remember Greg saying sometime in March would be good.

However, Greg is really good in fighting biases that plague contests.
                Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                  Fingers crossing for final testing, but it appears as if online PDF script submissinons will be in the mix for this year.
                  I want to kiss you right now.

But I won't. Unless you want me to.

Comment

Sorry, I should have gone back and double checked that.

And thanks for the convience of making the contest where you can upload. I really appreciate that.

Tig

Comment

i wonder if its better to submit early.
                      if you beat the mad rush of last minute submissions then i'll bet it's more likely your script will get a better read. but it must be your best. don't submit and then rewrite wishing you could submit your better pages.

Comment

I've got a question regarding the Nicholl.

I'm entering two scripts this year, my first ever entry to this contest. Actually my first entry to any contest so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyways. Kind of new at this.

One script is a thriller, and the other is an Apatow-type comedy.

Knowing that comedy is sooo subjective, I've often wondered if I'd be wasting my time/money entering the latter.

The humor in Apatow comedies rely a lot on dialogue, and dialogue is what I feel I'm best at, and my script's comedy relies a lot on it, along with a few set pieces. It's not high concept, like most Apatow, but I do feel it delivers a good story. Much, much better than where I was with it six months ago.

But anyways, I'm just scared that the good readers in the Nicholl wouldn't be up for this type of comedy.

Is that accurate?

Another question is that with comedies in contests, what criteria is judged to get you through to the next round? Is it overall humor, story, or everything rolled into one?

Thanks guys(and gals)!

Comment

spyder23 -

Don't worry, it's not a stupid question. The question has been raised before, and the answer is that a script wholly, or partially identified as a comedy has just as much as chance to succeed and earn its writer(s) a fellowship, as any other genre.

The way Greg coordinates the event is that for the first round, he'll hand over comedy scripts to readers who can give a fair critique to the genre, and he'll do the same for horror, thriller, and so forth.

I don't have the numbers, and I'm kind of lazy to search for them, but roughly, the percentage of scripts submitted that are identified wholly, or partially as "comedy" is the same percentage as those that move on to the next round., and I believe, also roughly the same percentage as those that have earned the writer(s) a fellowship.

Best of luck to you!
                          Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Unless you're hurting financially, what's the worst that can happen?

WORST-CASE
                            You submit both scripts and the comedy that you assumed "might- not be well-suited to Nicholl (a debatable premise if ever there was one) actually doesn't advance. And the thriller script bombs, too. Oh well.

ON THE OTHER HAND
                            You submit both scripts and the thriller bombs out. But maybe that comedy script is this great, well-written script and the sort of thing that every Nicholl hopes they'll read when they first pick something up. It advances to the latter rounds, you garner some buzz and attention, establish some new connections and relationships, which lead to other opportunities . . . and before you know it, you're in such demand, you barely have time to work on your next great spec script.

Hmm . . . yeah, you're right. Nicholl probably doesn't like comedies so you oughta just keep it under wraps.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be cheeky or glib, but you see my point. I'm basically saying, "So what? Go for it.-

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
                              Unless you're hurting financially, what's the worst that can happen?
                              You could get a papercut while printing the script, develop gangrene, and die.

Comment

Working...
                              X