Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2009

Removing your name from the title page (wether FD, CeltX, Word of anything) is NOT rocket science. And its a requirement...
    http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's also very easy to print a copy of your title page without the contact information on it and sending a paper copy of the screenplay in. Which is one of the options Nicholl has provided and the one I took.

I'm sure Nicholl will sort out those who didn't do it right and correct the errors. When they ask for only PDF files, or whe it appears that there is a difference in the way the two are reviewed, than I will send in a PDF file.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
        When dealing with such a large number of individuals, the idea is to make it "dummy proof."
        I'm not sure it's possible to dummy-proof anything. All you have to do is read product warning labels to be dazzled by the ingenuity of dummies in their ability to misunderstand or misinterpret the simplest of procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
          I'm not sure it's possible to dummy-proof anything. All you have to do is read product warning labels to be dazzled by the ingenuity of dummies in their ability to misunderstand or misinterpret the simplest of procedures.
          Amen sister. I suppose the idea is the try to "minimize" the opportunity for error.

Comment

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck and I look forward to seeing many success stories from DD'er's and hopefully a couple winners, if not all the winners, .
            The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
              We try to be as clear as possible, but have found that you can't reach everyone, no matter how hard you try.

And there's no accounting for misreading when people do manage to see all the information you would like them to read. For instance, earlier in this thread, I mentioned that we might re-think our policy if 1500 PDF scripts arrived with names at the deadline. At least one person seems to have read that as 1500 have already arrived with names on them.

Actually, names might be running at about 15-20% of PDF entries, which would be around 200-250 thus far.

BTW, I did send an e-mail to 23 recent name on PDF entrants this morning inviting them to upload again. We'll see whether that's smoother than simply blacking out names.

Unfortunately, that method won't work after the deadline, as uploads will no longer be possible by entrants.

FYI, entries are over 1600 now.

Comment

Just entered two of my scripts, and it was very easy to do, thank you Nicholl. First time I have done electronic submissions - much better than having to run to the post office. And, great picture of you on the site, Greg!

Also, thanks for the tip about removing the name with Acrobat Pro. I was successful in doing this, which is why I didn't have to mail a hard copy this year.
                sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Greg,

I am ghostwriting a non-fiction book for more then $5,000 this summer. A straight fee for services. Can I still enter the Nicholl Competition?

Thanks for all your feedback around here. We appreciate it!
                  www.agentbait.com

Comment

Greg, are your readers required to read a whole script, and if not, how many pages are they required to read. I know some contests you can throw them away after ten pages, but I think this presents a nasty ethical line, maybe something isn't to someone's taste and they just want to get on to the next one. I thought long and hard about which of these emoctions to use and and believe they are all required.
                    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                      FYI, entries are over 1600 now.
                      Isn't that kind of low? Past years have been much higher in number from what I understand.

Comment

Hi Greg,
                        I saw somewhere on this thread that readers tend to mark early script entries a bit harder. Now I'm worried because I entered my script in the last couple of days of March instead of around April 24 - 27ist when you suggested would be the best time to enter.

Do you think early script entries are at a disadvantage as readers are still trying to get a feel for the level and may forget a really great script?

Thanks for any feedback.
                        Worried.

Comment

Originally posted by taso36 View Post
                          Hi Greg,
                          I saw somewhere on this thread that readers tend to mark early script entries a bit harder. Now I'm worried because I entered my script in the last couple of days of March instead of around April 24 - 27ist when you suggested would be the best time to enter.

Do you think early script entries are at a disadvantage as readers are still trying to get a feel for the level and may forget a really great script?

Thanks for any feedback.
                          Worried.
                          Depends on how much cash you taped in between the pages.

Seriously, you could also worry about sending it late when the readers are all tired and jaded... lol

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                            Isn't that kind of low? Past years have been much higher in number from what I understand.
                            I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident that number will increase DRAMATICALLY in the last week to last few days before deadline. Most writers will wait as long as possible to give themself more time to update a draft or heaven forbid, finish the 1st draft...

I'm surprised the number is that high before we even hit the last week of submissions.
                            http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                              BTW, I did send an e-mail to 23 recent name on PDF entrants this morning inviting them to upload again. We'll see whether that's smoother than simply blacking out names.
                              This turned out not to be efficient - too many e-mails back and forth and only about half have been updated.

We'll probably return to the black-out method.

Please, oh, please, take your names and contact information off a copy of your script prior to converting it to PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Z View Post
                                I am ghostwriting a non-fiction book for more then $5,000 this summer. A straight fee for services. Can I still enter the Nicholl Competition?

Thanks for all your feedback around here. We appreciate it!
                                I don't mean to be obnoxious, but is the answer to this question not clear in the rules?

Could you take a look and let me know? Perhaps we need to be even clearer.

Comment

Working...
                                X