X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lordmanji
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2009

wow 5750. that's a huge uptick from the past three years - 2006 – 4,899 entries, 2007 – 5,050 entries, 2008 – 5,224 entries and almost equalling 2005 (so far) where there were 5,879 entries.

Leave a comment:

• Sinnycal
    replied

10% of the finalists were just entered.

Leave a comment:

• ShariMacD
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Sorry about the error message. Those have popped up for a few people, and every time I checked for someone the script was fine. That's what Paid - Script Uploaded means. It's in.
    Wonderful. Thanks, Greg! Now I can stop worrying. Have a great weekend!

Leave a comment:

• cvolante
    replied

That's a LOT of screenplays. Wow. Good luck, everyone!

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by ShariMacD View Post
    I took the extra day and read through my screenplay one more time. Just sent it in to the Nicholl competition. While it was loading, I got a "timed out" message. But the Nicholl website says "script loaded, not processed." Should I be concerned about the "timed out" message and try to submit a hard copy as back up? Or should I assume that since the site says "script loaded" it did indeed load, and let things be? Any advice?
    Sorry about the error message. Those have popped up for a few people, and every time I checked for someone the script was fine. That's what Paid - Script Uploaded means. It's in.

Paid - Script Uploaded Not Processed is as good as it gets this weekend. Those 2650 scripts I mentioned a few posts ago are waiting to be confirmed. Confirming means someone at a computer "handles" each and every script. We're not doing any confirming this weekend, so it will be a while.

Closing in on 5750.

Leave a comment:

• Why One
    replied

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
    My own opinion is that because Hollywood has been so overwhelmed for over fifty years with hundreds of thousands of screenplays, the doors are pretty much closed (with occasional exceptions) to outsiders. They just can't keep up and evaluate all those scripts, so they just ignore them. And you're left with the "blind squirrel finding an acorn" now and then and that's what is called in Hollywood the "discovering" of new talent.

In the meantime, some very talented writers give up, while some hack writers with connections continue getting their screenplays made into movies and being paid.
    I'm not so sure. In my experience, I've had pretty decent reads from decent reps based on cold query -- the same reps that have broken in first time writers -- writers that obtained such rep using the same cold query technqiue. For me, getting read isn't the issue, it's getting decision-makers to like your script and say, "yes".

I also don't believe connections mean anything without talent. Having connections just means you have better chances of getting read.

I think that Nicholl is great for getting your script into the hands of major players. But you have to do well it in. And you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. Like people have said: There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Leave a comment:

• lucidimage
    replied

Originally posted by ShariMacD View Post
    I took the extra day and read through my screenplay one more time. Just sent it in to the Nicholl competition. While it was loading, I got a "timed out" message. But the Nicholl website says "script loaded, not processed." Should I be concerned about the "timed out" message and try to submit a hard copy as back up? Or should I assume that since the site says "script loaded" it did indeed load, and let things be? Any advice?
    You will probably get clarification from Greg but you should be good to go. Give it some time and see if your script status changes to "Confirmed".

Leave a comment:

• ShariMacD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darthpaul
    replied

Just got mine in with 6 and a half hours to spare. First contest; helluva experience! Exhausted but the sense of achievement is definitely satisfying. Good luck everyone and thanks to Greg for being very, very cool.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

With 6.5 hours to go on uploads and then the properly postmarked paper copies that will arrive next week, we're around 5675.

I assume the previous record of 6073 falls unofficially on Monday or Tuesday. It would become official when all the scripts are processed.

About 2650 in wait at the moment.

Over 1200 scripts were uploaded yesterday and another 140 arrived in the mail. Today is peaceful in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• joe78
    replied

Hi Greg,

I'm sure you're swamped dealing with last minute apps right now, but whenever you get the chance, we'd all love to hear how many screenplays were submitted this year.

If you don't mind sharing that with us!

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• lucidimage
    replied

Originally posted by baraka View Post
    I am pulling my hair out just reading this thread.
    Seriously. Greg has been great stopping by here so often to answer so many questions. Unless some of you are deliberately trying to scare him away from ever coming back here:

-Consult the FAQ first

-If you can't find an answer there, try this thread.

-Then if you can't find it here, ask away.

Spending a few minutes reading the FAQ or a few minutes browsing this thread will save both you and Greg time. Its really not that much work to do either.

And to those interested:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/faqs.html
    Last edited by lucidimage; 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KenRichards
    Guest replied

With 25 pages to this thread, you might want to be specific as to who you are calling out from your soap box (high horse?).

Leave a comment:

• baraka
    replied

I am pulling my hair out just reading this thread. My professor would have kicked me out of class if:

1. I asked the same question over and over again.
    2. Told him I will not follow the directions.
    3. And choose not to read any literature on the topic that could help my career.
    4. Then accuse my professor of not doing enough to help me be successful.

The Nicholl's Fellowship is not your mother it is a competition. Stop suckling at the nip and get on solid food. If the sandel fits wear it and for everyone else good luck and never give up. I have now stepped off my soapbox.

Leave a comment:

• KenRichards
    Guest replied

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
    Honestly, I think that would add a huge amount of work to the huge amount of work they already do. And it would likely be of marginal (if any) interest to agents and producers, who generally assume that if a writer's been around a while they'd have been snapped up by now if they were any good.

You sound like you believe Hollywood has an efficient talent search or integration apparatus? What was that saying, "it's not what you know, but who you know?"

My own opinion is that because Hollywood has been so overwhelmed for over fifty years with hundreds of thousands of screenplays, the doors are pretty much closed (with occasional exceptions) to outsiders. They just can't keep up and evaluate all those scripts, so they just ignore them. And you're left with the "blind squirrel finding an acorn" now and then and that's what is called in Hollywood the "discovering" of new talent.

In the meantime, some very talented writers give up, while some hack writers with connections continue getting their screenplays made into movies and being paid.

No one said it was fair, and it isn't. But it's the world we live in, so we as writers need to just keep cracking.

But that is why I think Nicholl, and a few others are great for evaluating talent. When Nicholl readers read your screenplay, it's the screenplay they are evaluating. They don't know your connections. All they know is the screenplay. If only the rest of Hollywood was like that.
    Last edited by ; 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X