No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    Greg, are your readers required to read a whole script, and if not, how many pages are they required to read. I know some contests you can throw them away after ten pages, but I think this presents a nasty ethical line, maybe something isn't to someone's taste and they just want to get on to the next one. I thought long and hard about which of these emoctions to use and and believe they are all required.
    My instructions to all readers are to read the scripts.

Is it possible that not all scripts are read cover to cover? Sure, it's possible. I'm not sitting on the couch with the readers watching them while they read.

Are there some scripts so bad that anyone who has read a few scripts will recognize the lack of quality after reading several pages? Yes, there are.

Given the last truth, some readers still tell me that they read every script all the way through. They feel they owe it to the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
      Isn't that kind of low? Past years have been much higher in number from what I understand.
      No, not low at all. It's actually higher by date than every year except for the three when we had an April 1 $20 early deadline.

I think the record for the ten day period on both sides of the postmarked deadline is just over 4100 scripts.

That 10-day period begins next Monday, though the PDFs make comparisons somewhat dicey (i.e., PDFs arrive immediately; paper copies take 2-4 days on average). The lowest number of scripts arriving during the ten days this decade was 3200.

Comment

Originally posted by taso36 View Post
        Hi Greg,
        I saw somewhere on this thread that readers tend to mark early script entries a bit harder. Now I'm worried because I entered my script in the last couple of days of March instead of around April 24 - 27ist when you suggested would be the best time to enter.

Do you think early script entries are at a disadvantage as readers are still trying to get a feel for the level and may forget a really great script?

Thanks for any feedback.
        Worried.
        I guess you didn't read the part where I said we try to balance out early and late (and middle) scoring. Early scripts, late scripts, middle scripts - all have performed quite well in the competition over the years.

Worry about writing good scripts, not about how some competition is going to judge them.

Comment

Greg,

You're not being obnoxious. Here is where I am coming from: most screenplay competitions disqualify you from entering if you have earned a sum from any work of FICTION. Here are the rules on the Nicholl page...

"An applicant's total earnings for motion picture and television writing may not exceed US$5,000 before the end of the competition. This limit applies to compensation for motion picture and television writing services as well as for the sale of (or sale of an option to) screenplays, teleplays, stage plays, books, treatments, stories, premises and any other source material."

It does not specify fiction vs. non-fiction works. I was hoping against hope that Nicholl had the same interpretation as so many others and that I could help write a non-fiction book AND enter the contest.
          www.agentbait.com

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Z View Post
            Greg,

You're not being obnoxious. Here is where I am coming from: most screenplay competitions disqualify you from entering if you have earned a sum from any work of FICTION. Here are the rules on the Nicholl page...

"An applicant's total earnings for motion picture and television writing may not exceed US$5,000 before the end of the competition. This limit applies to compensation for motion picture and television writing services as well as for the sale of (or sale of an option to) screenplays, teleplays, stage plays, books, treatments, stories, premises and any other source material."

It does not specify fiction vs. non-fiction works. I was hoping against hope that Nicholl had the same interpretation as so many others and that I could help write a non-fiction book AND enter the contest.
            Should I beat my head against the wall?

The rule regards writing for film and television. Not for other writing. You could be a best selling novelist and still be eligible, so long as the movie/tv rights had not been sold for more than $5,000.

You're eligible. You can write all the books you want. You just can't earn over $5000 writing for (or selling to) film and television.

Comment

Greg wrote:

"Should I beat my head against the wall?"

Haven't you already?

Comment

Originally posted by lucidimage View Post
                I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident that number will increase DRAMATICALLY in the last week to last few days before deadline. Most writers will wait as long as possible to give themself more time to update a draft or heaven forbid, finish the 1st draft...
                Last year I finished my first draft with some eight hours to spare.

I should probably get started on a new script for this year.

Comment

Maybe I'm blind, but I'm trying to upload a script and I didn't see that option.

Are we supposed to e-mail it, or what?
                  Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                    Should I beat my head against the wall?
                    I wouldn't recommend it. I've done it before, and it has this odd habit of being really painful. No clue why...

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Nevermind, I just found out my mistake.

I didn't select the "Credit Card (submit script online)" option.

Now to get the account reset.

Comment

It appears the coversheet is a major problem in the processing of these screenplays. I can't remember which contest it was, but there was a contest I entered a few years ago where they had it so that when you registered through their website, they had a "print coversheet" button you had to push in order to enter. And the only thing that appeard on the coversheet was the title of the screenplay, and a tracking number for their purposes. As I recall, I thought that to be a very efficient way of doing it.

Comment

Thanks Greg. Sorry about your head. I should use mine correctly so you don't have to injure yours I really appreciate all your time and effort regarding the competition as well as your participation here on the board.

I'll shut up now and enter the contest.
                          www.agentbait.com

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                            It appears the coversheet is a major problem in the processing of these screenplays. I can't remember which contest it was, but there was a contest I entered a few years ago where they had it so that when you registered through their website, they had a "print coversheet" button you had to push in order to enter. And the only thing that appeard on the coversheet was the title of the screenplay, and a tracking number for their purposes. As I recall, I thought that to be a very efficient way of doing it.
                            i vaguely recall slamdance having something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                              i vaguely recall slamdance having something like that?
                              I think you are right, it was Slamdance.

Comment

My script has been submitted. Good luck to the rest of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X