X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jsay
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2009

we'll be here all week for your amusement, Greg...

Leave a comment:

• Jenny
    replied

That paranoia post was hysterical. I long for the day I have nothing to worry about except being one of the 4,997 people who didn't win the Nicholl. Oh, the shame!

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

I continue to be amused at what people post as facts on message boards.

The Nicholl competition does not share its data base with anyone.

There are no "development personnel associated with the contest." Other than the distribution of contact information lists (containing the writer's name, script title, genre and phone and/or e-mail) for quarter/semi/finalists, Nicholl data is not shared with anyone.

So far as I know, people working in the industry pay no attention whatsoever to a writer's not advancing in a screenwriting competition. As pertains to the Nicholl competition, the only way those working in the industry would learn of an individual who didn't advance would be from the individual.

Leave a comment:

• Leech
    replied

KeenGuy -

I remember a post of Greg's where he said you don't have to worry about boiling it down to one genre. You can use multiple ones, like Supernatural Romantic Comedy Thriller.

I'll try to find it and post a link.

Leave a comment:

• KenRichards
    Guest replied

The writer above has that "young writers" syndrom in which he is paranoid. It's a stage we all have been through. The fear of being stolen from, or blacklisted.

Believe me, Hollywood has no time to sift through the losers of a competition for any reason at all. In fact, they don't look very hard at the lists of quarterfinalist, semifinalists and finalists as well.

Send the screenplay in and see how it goes. There really is not much to lose but a few notches off of our inflated egos.

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji
    replied

Originally posted by Allniter View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible this prestigious contest could mean the end of your career.

I checked the site and while they are eager to point out that the advancing script titles are made available to the H'wood development community, they don't say anything about maintaining confidentiality about the "losing" scripts.

We know there's a database containing the applicant data for all 5000+ enytries, and that data is already available to dozens of development personnel associated with the contest. Is it too much of a stretch to assume that data is also available to hundreds of H'woods top movers? If so, 5000 screenwriters are paying 30 bucks for the priviledge of being added to a virtual blacklist.

The worst possible scenario is having your target read your equery, then pull up the Niccholl DB and see your title was passed on there. That's marketing death ... forever!
    wow what is your problem? we all know nicholl's is the best in the screenplay competition world. i hope you didnt enter then because basically all it looks like you're doing by playing "devil's advocate" is trying to scare others away or at the least creating unfounded anxiety in entrants. ive never heard of any "losing" script mined for ideas. very abhorrent behavior and not helpful at all.

Leave a comment:

• Allniter
    replied

Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible this prestigious contest could mean the end of your career.

I checked the site and while they are eager to point out that the advancing script titles are made available to the H'wood development community, they don't say anything about maintaining confidentiality about the "losing" scripts.

We know there's a database containing the applicant data for all 5000+ enytries, and that data is already available to dozens of development personnel associated with the contest. Is it too much of a stretch to assume that data is also available to hundreds of H'woods top movers? If so, 5000 screenwriters are paying 30 bucks for the priviledge of being added to a virtual blacklist.

The worst possible scenario is having your target read your equery, then pull up the Niccholl DB and see your title was passed on there. That's marketing death ... forever!

Leave a comment:

• -XL-
    replied

Seriously, anyone who's looking to start a career and yet isn't entering this is crazy.

Only a few days left. Polish them there scripts up and send them on their way.

Leave a comment:

• TheKeenGuy
    replied

Just submitted mine!

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ regarding Genre. Someone let me know if I overlooked it. I had no idea whether it'd be more helpful to list multiple genres that apply or if it's better to boil it down to one.

I also would have loved to submit a comedy that revolves around a Shakespeare play in the way that ROSENCRANTZ & GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD riffs on HAMLET, but it sounds like the "no adaptation" rules is too far-reaching to allow that.

Leave a comment:

• grant
    replied

Originally posted by joe78 View Post
    Just to be clear--we have until May 1st 11:59:59 pm to upload our screenplay, correct?

We don't need to submit BEFORE May 1st, right?

Thanks in advance.
    The website says "Scripts submitted online must be uploaded no later than 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1, 2009."

If I were you though, I'd target about 3pm. Just in case three-thousand people submitting at the last minute causes the server to explode into flames and you need to make a mad dash to the post office.

Leave a comment:

• Erehwon
    replied

I've entered, more than one, lol.

Now, to forget out it!

Best of luck to everyone who took the dive.

Leave a comment:

• joe78
    replied

Just to be clear--we have until May 1st 11:59:59 pm to upload our screenplay, correct?

We don't need to submit BEFORE May 1st, right?

Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Why One
    replied

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
    Literally just entered about 2 minutes ago. I noticed one last typo in my script JUST before I sent it in. Fixed it. Then said screw it. I am afraid to read it once more, for fear of finding another typo.
    I know that feeling exactly.

Leave a comment:

• 12916studios
    replied

Literally just entered about 2 minutes ago. I noticed one last typo in my script JUST before I sent it in. Fixed it. Then said screw it. I am afraid to read it once more, for fear of finding another typo.

Hopefully that was the final one.

Now I should sleep. I have class in 4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Cockeyed
    replied

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
    Hey Greg,

I may be wrong, but isn't that the logline for "Zabriskie Point?"

Late Night Writer
    Sweet, deft, LateNightWriter!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X