No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
    Sixteen hundred already, huh?. I'm waiting til at least Sunday night though. I can't live with knowing that I could have done this or that.
    I think on that day-- at 6:55 pm -- Venus aligns with Mars, if that helps.

Comment

ya i for one entered early. i dont think i can compete with 1600 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
        I think on that day-- at 6:55 pm -- Venus aligns with Mars, if that helps.
        If it does help, and I win, I'll take you out to dinner in Bev Hills.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
          If it does help, and I win, I'll take you out to dinner in Bev Hills.
          Break a leg, darlin'. We'll have champagne.

Comment

What the hell, I just entered a script. Good luck everyone!

EDITED: Just realized I misspelled a word in my synopsis... I'm toast.
            Last edited by Telly; 04-25-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Telly entered? I guess that's one slot filled. Four more to go.
              Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post

I may be wacked, but I might remember reading somewhere that one script entered got up there fairly high, and it was hand-written.

Now, I'm not recommending that for anyone, so please don't ask if it's okay or Greg will be reaching for his Alka-Seltzer again.

If it did happen, it was probably quite awhile ago.

In any case, did you know that whenever a Tibetan Monk submits a script to a contest, he deliberately misspells a word in the synopsis to encourage good karma? So, you're in good company!

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post

I entered today (errr yesterday) too. Good luck folks.

And I wouldn't sweat the synopsis Telly, this is all about the script.
                  http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
                    I may be wacked, but I might remember reading somewhere that one script entered got up there fairly high, and it was hand-written.

Now, I'm not recommending that for anyone, so please don't ask if it's okay or Greg will be reaching for his Alka-Seltzer again.

If it did happen, it was probably quite awhile ago.

In any case, did you know that whenever a Tibetan Monk submits a script to a contest, he deliberately misspells a word in the synopsis to encourage good karma? So, you're in good company!
                    Yes, you're wacked. Of the dozen or so handwritten scripts (or handwritten somethings) entered in the Nicholl competition over the years, none has ever received a second read.

On the other hand, a typo in your synopsis doesn't matter. No reader ever sees your synopsis, so tough to affect them in any way.

Far worse than a typo is a synopsis that reads like this:

Daybreak. The desert. A man, a woman, a long day. A trip that must be made. Silence. Death. A longer night.

I made that up, but we receive "log lines" in much the same vein. A similar synopsis, though with a little more story detail, was written by one of last year's winners. In other words, the synopsis has no effect upon scoring or placement.
                    Last edited by gregbeal; 04-26-2009, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                      Of the dozen or so handwritten scripts (or handwritten somethings) entered in the Nicholl competition over the years, none has ever received a second read.
                      I guess I'm pretty well screwed then.

Just kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by Leech View Post
                        Telly entered? I guess that's one slot filled. Four more to go.
                        Ha! But what it really means is I haven't made more than five thousand bucks after 5 years of writing. That's all I could think about the entire time I was submitting. I used to be a "half full" kinda guy...

I miss that guy.

Comment

Daybreak. The desert. A man, a woman, a long day. A trip that must be made. Silence. Death. A longer night.
                          Hey Greg,

I may be wrong, but isn't that the logline for "Zabriskie Point?"

Late Night Writer

Comment

Just finished entering my two scripts.

I know this may be a little corny, but this is the first screenplay competition I have ever entered. It feels like another step on a LONG journey toward something I think everyone who comes to these boards dreams of: writing creatively for a living.

Being in this competition is like the first time I typed FADE IN and the first time I typed FADE OUT or like the first time a management company said, "Sure, download our release and send in your script." Or the first time an Agency sent me a certified letter telling me to never, ever, ever send another piece of unsolicited material. (tear)

The point is this is a moment, right here, where it all seems possible and the long hours of lonliness at the keyboard seem worthwhile. Some of you have Managers or Agents, have been optioned or made outright sales...but a lot of us haven't. We can only imagine the feeling that comes from those moments, and I think it is what keeps us all coming back to another blank page.

Good luck everyone!
                            www.agentbait.com

Comment

I entered yesterday too. Good luck everyone!

Glad to hear the synopsis doesn't matter too much. I wasn't sure what to put in the synopsis (320 character length right?). I just put the logline. Figured that was close enough.

Looking forward to seeing the DoneDealers do well in the contest.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
                                Hey Greg,

I may be wrong, but isn't that the logline for "Zabriskie Point?"

Late Night Writer
                                Sweet, deft, LateNightWriter!

Comment

Working...
                                X