No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    I continue to be amused at what people post as facts on message boards.
    For my end, I often tell people that you were a finalist in the Mr. Universe contest.

Comment

There are no "development personnel associated with the contest." Other than the distribution of contact information lists (containing the writer's name, script title, genre and phone and/or e-mail) for quarter/semi/finalists, Nicholl data is not shared with anyone.
      Greg, I've often wondered if Nicholl will ever expand it's operations to provide this type of interface with the industry. Certainly as time moves on, and Nicholl does expand its database, the amount of talented writers there will no doubt be of use to development minded companies in the future.

If half of all quarterfinalists are "repeat offenders" than I suppose that this is an indication of talent? And this might be very useful to those looking for talent?

Just wondering if Nicholl has given any thought to opening up this chanel to the industry.

Comment

Other than the distribution of contact information lists (containing the writer's name, script title, genre and phone and/or e-mail) for quarter/semi/finalists, Nicholl data is not shared with anyone.
        That would look great if it was posted on the contest website FAQs.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
          Certainly as time moves on, and Nicholl does expand its database, the amount of talented writers there will no doubt be of use to development minded companies in the future.
          Im not Greg, but Nicholl doesn't keep a database. They delete all electronic files after it ends and dismantle and recycle all paper entries.

Originally posted by Allniter
          That would look great if it was posted on the contest website FAQs.
          Something to this effect is already on the FAQ if I'm not mistaken. Just not with the exact verbiage.
          http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm in!

Best of luck to all DDers, let's lock up the top ten spots, people. Come on.

Comment

Originally posted by lucidimage View Post
              Im not Greg, but Nicholl doesn't keep a database. They delete all electronic files after it ends and dismantle and recycle all paper entries.

Something to this effect is already on the FAQ if I'm not mistaken. Just not with the exact verbiage.

I'm not saying they keep screenplays in a database. But they keep records as to who has quarter-finalled, semi-finalled, finalled and so on. And how many times they have done this.

Certainly that information can be quantified for the purpose of evaluating talent. In other words, "here is a list of writers who quarterfinalled ten times. Here is a list of those who semi-finalled ten times." And so on.

The possibility exists. The information is there. Information that can be packaged very easily. Why not interface with the industry in this fashion in order to identify talent? Even beyond what they are already doing?

I was just wondering if Nicholl might have considered moving in that direction.
              Last edited by ; 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Sorry, TheKeenGuy, I couldn't find Greg's post, but I know he said it. Maybe Greg can officially announce in this thread that it's okay to list as many applicable genres for the script as the writer sees fit. Greg, can you please?
                Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

From the Nicholl Rules:

"10. Nicholl Fellows agree to furnish the Academy with a copy of the screenplay(s) written during the Fellowship year. The Academy acquires no rights to the work (or to the entry script) and will not participate in its marketing or in any other aspects of its commercial future."

No, there are no plans to share any information beyond the contact lists with folks in the industry.

As to what should be in the FAQs: sorry we don't address every issue that can be invented by people out of thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by Leech View Post
                    Sorry, TheKeenGuy, I couldn't find Greg's post, but I know he said it. Maybe Greg can officially announce in this thread that it's okay to list as many applicable genres for the script as the writer sees fit. Greg, can you please?
                    As to genres: sure, enter as many as seem appropriate. We may edit the genre entry if we find it confusing or inaccurate (based initially on our reading of the log line and then on a reader's notes).

For instance, when "drama" is the sole entry and the log line mentions a serial killer, a cop and multiple brutal murders, we may add the word "crime." Or if "comedy" is entered and the log line mentions a character dying, going to heaven and returning to earth as an angel to help his teenage son figure out life, we may add the word "fantasy."

Comment

Originally posted by Allniter View Post
                      We know there's a database containing the applicant data for all 5000+ enytries, and that data is already available to dozens of development personnel associated with the contest. Is it too much of a stretch to assume that data is also available to hundreds of H'woods top movers?
                      I heard from a Rosicrucian that if you add up the zip codes of all the past Nicholl entrants and divide by pi, you will get the numerical name of God, and if you read it out loud, you'll trigger the Rapture. Is no one else worried about this??? Think of the children! Think of the children!

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                        Certainly that information can be quantified for the purpose of evaluating talent. In other words, "here is a list of writers who quarterfinalled ten times. Here is a list of those who semi-finalled ten times." And so on.
                        Ken, if someone made the semifinals ten times I sure hope it would occur to that writer to mention it in a query letter.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
                          Ken, if someone made the semifinals ten times I sure hope it would occur to that writer to mention it in a query letter.
                          Yes, I imagine they would.

But on the other hand, we all know how successful query letters are. The thing is, we as writers need ALL the help we can get. And if an organization as prestigious as Nicholl were to increase their activities in the above regard, that might provide a great service to both writers, and those who are looking for writers.

Comment

Honestly, I think that would add a huge amount of work to the huge amount of work they already do. And it would likely be of marginal (if any) interest to agents and producers, who generally assume that if a writer's been around a while they'd have been snapped up by now if they were any good.
                            Last edited by cyberian exile; 04-29-2009, 03:07 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I've looked repeatedly, and didn't see this on any of the FAQs, or any Googling, or any searching on this site so I thought I'd ask:

I've just finished my 203-page script, and I've carefully laminated each page, highlighting my name that's on every page, being extra-careful to write it all in invisible ink so no one can steal my ideas (don't worry; I'm including grape juice so when I make finalist the judges can read it--I don't trust those other so-called "readers"), and though I've used other sources from other cultures' mythologies, the work is all my own--except for the ending, and the middle, and some of the beginning, but the rest of it is all me; I've also ensured that any money I've received from working in film is divvied up between 100 aliases, each making $4999, and I've gotten feedback from my grandmother's knitting circle, AND, I think it's finally ready...but my question is this:

What color are Greg's eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
                                Honestly, I think that would add a huge amount of work to the huge amount of work they already do. And it would likely be of marginal (if any) interest to agents and producers, who generally assume that if a writer's been around a while they'd have been snapped up by now if they were any good.

You sound like you believe Hollywood has an efficient talent search or integration apparatus? What was that saying, "it's not what you know, but who you know?"

My own opinion is that because Hollywood has been so overwhelmed for over fifty years with hundreds of thousands of screenplays, the doors are pretty much closed (with occasional exceptions) to outsiders. They just can't keep up and evaluate all those scripts, so they just ignore them. And you're left with the "blind squirrel finding an acorn" now and then and that's what is called in Hollywood the "discovering" of new talent.

In the meantime, some very talented writers give up, while some hack writers with connections continue getting their screenplays made into movies and being paid.

No one said it was fair, and it isn't. But it's the world we live in, so we as writers need to just keep cracking.

But that is why I think Nicholl, and a few others are great for evaluating talent. When Nicholl readers read your screenplay, it's the screenplay they are evaluating. They don't know your connections. All they know is the screenplay. If only the rest of Hollywood was like that.
                                Last edited by ; 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X