• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
    She had a short stint as a writer on CSI: New York, then realized she just didn't want to be a screenwriter, and swtiched over to writing novels. I met her at the University of Rhode Island, she's one of my professor's best friends, and when came in to speak to our class.
    I'm guessing we're speaking of two different people. Michele Hackman was the only female finalist (the other two female finalists became fellows) in 2003. If the visiting writer wasn't Michele, perhaps she was a semi or quarterfinalist in 2003, or she was a finalist in another year.

On the other hand, when you read Michele's finalist script, you knew she could be a novelist. It was exceedingly rich in detail, sprawled over generations and featured a multitude of characters.

Leave a comment:

• 12916studios
    replied

She had a short stint as a writer on CSI: New York, then realized she just didn't want to be a screenwriter, and swtiched over to writing novels. I met her at the University of Rhode Island, she's one of my professor's best friends, and when came in to speak to our class.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
    Yeah, my screenwriting professor entered the fellowships years ago, got to the quarterfinals, and then had to drop out because he sold a script. The money was too good to pass up; more than the payment would have been, so he had to take it. Given the interest in his script (he sold the one he entered), he's pretty certain it would have won.

I also met a finalist from the 2003 competition yesterday. It was pretty cool hearing her talk about the fellowships.
    I always greet drop outs due to sales with mixed feelings. I am truly happy and excited for the writer, but I wonder what might have been, especially if it's a script that I have read and liked.

Where did you happen to meet the 2003 finalist? She lives far from Hollywood.

Leave a comment:

• briking
    replied

Originally posted by jsay View Post
    who's in? who's waiting till later... waiting here...
    I'm waiting until around the date Greg gave in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• jsay
    replied

who's in? who's waiting till later... waiting here...

Leave a comment:

• 12916studios
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    For professional earnings to affect one's eligibility, the key date would be in late October when we announce winners. When a writer earns over $5,000, he becomes ineligible when he (or his agent/manager) receives the payment.
    Yeah, my screenwriting professor entered the fellowships years ago, got to the quarterfinals, and then had to drop out because he sold a script. The money was too good to pass up; more than the payment would have been, so he had to take it. Given the interest in his script (he sold the one he entered), he's pretty certain it would have won.

I also met a finalist from the 2003 competition yesterday. It was pretty cool hearing her talk about the fellowships.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Rathmon View Post
    Here's a question for Greg, or anybody else who may know.

I know there's a $5000 earning limit to enter the contest, but what happens if an entrant wins a contest that ends after the May 1st deadline but before Nicholl's concludes, and that contest win is over $5000?
    Most contests do not render a writer ineligible for the Nicholl competition. So long as the money is considered a prize and there is no attachment by the competition or a company connected to the competition to your script. For instance, winning $5,001 from Austin or Final Draft Big Break would not affect eligibility at all. Winning Disney would cause the writer to be ineligible.

If an option or first look or development deal is part of the award and the money is greater than $5,000, then the writer would be ineligible.

For professional earnings to affect one's eligibility, the key date would be in late October when we announce winners. When a writer earns over $5,000, he becomes ineligible when he (or his agent/manager) receives the payment.

Leave a comment:

• Leech
    replied

I'm sure that would disqualify you. I know Greg will provide the official answer, but I think it's dependent on when financial compensation is received by the entrant.

For example, if you sell a script in August, I believe you're eligible, so long as you don't receive payment for the sale until after the contest is over.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Greg.

Leave a comment:

• Rathmon
    replied

Here's a question for Greg, or anybody else who may know.

I know there's a $5000 earning limit to enter the contest, but what happens if an entrant wins a contest that ends after the May 1st deadline but before Nicholl's concludes, and that contest win is over $5000?

Leave a comment:

• Se7en082
    replied

Thanks for the help and replies, all! I have only entered two contests and they were this one and the Final Draft contest. So, I probably confused the Final Draft one with this one.

Going to enter Nicholl's contest the old fashioned way... Sending a hard copy.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    "Also possible would be selling a script and then returning to complete the fellowship at a later time. Several fellows have had that experience."

Could you please elaborate? I thought that once someone sold a script (for more than $5000, anyway) one was ineligible ineligible to collect any balance of the Fellowship payments...

Does one somehow regain one's "Nicholl virginity" after a period of time following a script sale, and become eligible to collect the balance of the Fellowship payment?

LauriD
    Eligibility doesn't come into play after the Fellowship has been awarded. It only affects entrants.

If a writer were to work steadily after winning a la Mike Rich, it is quite possible that he would only collect the initial payment.

A number of writers have started the fellowship year, worked on assignment for a number of months, then returned to complete the fellowship year.

We do have a time limit: the fellowship year must begin within two years of winning the fellowship.

Leave a comment:

• LauriD
    replied

"Also possible would be selling a script and then returning to complete the fellowship at a later time. Several fellows have had that experience."

Could you please elaborate? I thought that once someone sold a script (for more than $5000, anyway) one was ineligible ineligible to collect any balance of the Fellowship payments...

Does one somehow regain one's "Nicholl virginity" after a period of time following a script sale, and become eligible to collect the balance of the Fellowship payment?

LauriD

Leave a comment:

• nancyb
    replied

Moviemagic software has some irritating things about it. But it does the conversion to PDF very well.

Leave a comment:

• Robot17
    replied

Originally posted by Se7en082 View Post
    I entered this this contest either last year or a couple of years ago. I was able to enter the contest oninle via Final Draft format. Now it only states PDF. Can you still enter a final draft file?

I have an older version of Final Draft and when I try to convert it to PDF it messes the entire script up and there is no way to edit it once it is in pdf format. I do not know if it is the older version of Final Draft clashing with Windows Vista or something else...
    FD 5 had a few problems doing conversions to pdf. Go their website and download the updates (I think they're still available) and fix the install.

You can also try using PDF Creator (PC) which you can find here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Bot

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Se7en082 View Post
    I entered this this contest either last year or a couple of years ago. I was able to enter the contest oninle via Final Draft format. Now it only states PDF. Can you still enter a final draft file?

I have an older version of Final Draft and when I try to convert it to PDF it messes the entire script up and there is no way to edit it once it is in pdf format. I do not know if it is the older version of Final Draft clashing with Windows Vista or something else...
    Since Nicholl competition accepted electronic submissions for the first time last year and then only on a limited basis (almost exclusively to foreign entrants) and only with PDF submissions, you must be thinking of a different competition that allowed Final Draft submissons. It was not the Nicholl competition.

Perhaps you could post your conversion problem/question in the Services, Software & Supplies sub-Forum. One of the moderators seems to know quite a bit about PDF conversions.

Sorry you are having trouble with converting from your older version of FD. Have you asked them for advice?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X