• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
    if people would look at the genre breakdown and the loglines of the winners then they would see that dramas win far and above any other genre which is quite the opposite of what a new writer is told can sell. and one can notice that "tentpole" is not a genre.
    I think the mix of genres among Nicholl winners is actually quite similar to the number of scripts entered in each genre. Here's the breakdown over the past six years:

adventure - 2
    animated - 1
    comedy - 3
    comedy drama - 1
    dark comedy - 1
    romantic comedy - 1
    drama - 5
    coming of age/ family drama - 3
    horror - 2
    science fiction - 2
    thriller/crime/mystery - 5
    war/terrorist - 4

Here's the breakdown since we opened the competition beyond students:

A: Genres of Nicholl Fellows’ Entry Scripts (1989–2008)
    action-adventure – 7
    animated comedy – 1
    comedy – 7
    romantic comedy – 4
    comedy-drama – 9
    coming-of-age drama – 8
    drama – 25
    romantic drama-fantasy – 2
    horror – 3
    science fiction – 2
    thriller / crime / caper – 17
    war / terrorism – 10
    Western – 3

It's simply not true that dramas comprise the majority of Nicholl winning scripts. It's even less true over recent years.

Since the Nicholl Fellowship program's goal is to identify and encourage talented writers, it is true that judges are not necessarily considering the exact same factors as a producer when looking at submissions solely for production. The Nicholl process seems similar to what producers and executives do when looking at writing samples when considering writers for an assignment.

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji
    replied

where did i say anything about one script being inferior to another?

i talking strictly about competitions and their motivations not what producers want. i was answering a specific question, not a general one.
    as you said, you were talking about their motivations. and when "writers are clueless as to what producers want," then you can safely assume that that script will be awful as a result and thus inferior to the original, unconsulted version.

Leave a comment:

• Sinnycal
    replied

i talking strictly about competitions and their motivations not what producers want. i was answering a specific question, not a general one.
    I think there's a simpler answer.

Duplicate entries = multiple reads = theoretically improved chances that the script will be read by someone who likes it

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

just cuz a script is developed and changed with a producer does not make it bad or inferior to the original version. could be better or equally as good in a different way.
    where did i say anything about one script being inferior to another?

and producers especially have a keen eye for material so chances are if they like it someone else (not you) will like it, too

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji
    replied

aside from the fact that it is a rule breaker... i can answer that for you. it's because so many writers are completely clueless as to what any particular producer wants. they assume that if they write it one way it may get a pass but if they write it another way then it could get passed on up the line to tptb.

what they don't realize is that this competition (and i'm sure many others will say the same thing) is looking for superior writing as opposed to what is commercially viable or what will greenlight a sale/production deal.

if people would look at the genre breakdown and the loglines of the winners then they would see that dramas win far and above any other genre which is quite the opposite of what a new writer is told can sell. and one can notice that "tentpole" is not a genre.

also why i'm at it... there are a few contests that are sponsored by a production company looking for material. there is a different motivation generating their contest. but many new to the contest game may not have picked that up yet.
    gotta disagree with you. just cuz a script is developed and changed with a producer does not make it bad or inferior to the original version. could be better or equally as good in a different way. and producers especially have a keen eye for material so chances are if they like it someone else (not you) will like it, too.

Leave a comment:

• Se7en082
    replied

I entered this this contest either last year or a couple of years ago. I was able to enter the contest oninle via Final Draft format. Now it only states PDF. Can you still enter a final draft file?

I have an older version of Final Draft and when I try to convert it to PDF it messes the entire script up and there is no way to edit it once it is in pdf format. I do not know if it is the older version of Final Draft clashing with Windows Vista or something else...

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

Why would any entrant want to risk the disqualification of a good script?
    aside from the fact that it is a rule breaker... i can answer that for you. it's because so many writers are completely clueless as to what any particular producer wants. they assume that if they write it one way it may get a pass but if they write it another way then it could get passed on up the line to tptb.

what they don't realize is that this competition (and i'm sure many others will say the same thing) is looking for superior writing as opposed to what is commercially viable or what will greenlight a sale/production deal.

also why i'm at it... there are a few contests that are sponsored by a production company looking for material. there is a different motivation generating their contest. but many new to the contest game may not have picked that up yet.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Mark Twain Weck View Post
    I was thinkin'... What if you made 2 (more) copies of a script, changed the titles, character names and locations but left the story exactly the same...

Sorry. I'll stop thinkin' now.

Just my luck I'd get the same reader for all 3.
    I realize that both of you are joking but let me use the jokes as a jumping off point.

First, if an entrant submitted various versions of a script, the entrant would be breaking the rules, which means that, if we discovered the multiple versions, all entries would be disqualified.

While it's possible that we would discover the multiple entries after the first read, as the reads continued, it would become even more likely that we would discover the versions. In other words, the better the scripts the more likely it would be that we would uncover the versions.

Why would any entrant want to risk the disqualification of a good script?

Leave a comment:

• Mark Twain Weck
    replied

what about three versions of the same script? is that allowed?
    I was thinkin'... What if you made 2 (more) copies of a script, changed the titles, character names and locations but left the story exactly the same...

Sorry. I'll stop thinkin' now.

Just my luck I'd get the same reader for all 3.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

just kidding. but the bad "blond" joke was nagging at me so i had to do it.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

So, no, you can't submit two versions of the same script.
    what about three versions of the same script? is that allowed?

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
    got a question: got a script that has two very different versions. one with a manager's notes and one without. can they both be submitted (of course as separate entries)?
    Per the rules:

Only one copy, draft or version of any screenplay may be submitted by an entrant or entrants. Under no circumstances will substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entry screenplays be allowed. An entrant may submit a MAXIMUM of three screenplays in the current competition.

So, no, you can't submit two versions of the same script.

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji
    replied

got a question: got a script that has two very different versions. one with a manager's notes and one without. can they both be submitted (of course as separate entries)?

Leave a comment:

• 12916studios
    replied

Thank you for your answers. I'd been through the FAQs and knew of the answer for Seniors, but didn't know if there was, perhaps, a difference when one is in an earlier year. It was just something I was unclear on.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

FYI - the Nicholl online application capable of accepting PDF uploads is now live.

Just over 20 scripts have been entered as PDFs thus far.

Thanks for your patience.

Some quick pointers if you do plan to enter online with a PDF.

You need a Visa or Mastercard.
    You should have your script's log line worked out prior to starting the application.
    If you are part of a collaborative team, you should have all the contact information for both members of the team.
    You should prepare a PDF script file without your name, address, phone, e-mail or other identifying information. Only the Script Title should be on the title page. WGA registration number is also permitted on the title page.
    Your PDF file needs to be under 2.0 MB. If your PDF file was converted through Final Draft or Movie Magic or another script processor, it will be probably be closer to 250K. Scanned files can get large and the system will not allow any large files to be uploaded.
    You should know the location of your PDF so you can find it quickly (the online application allows you to browse your files to upload it).

Best of luck to all who decide to enter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X