• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgialover
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2009

100 scripts?!

I wonder how many A-listers can lay claim to 100 completed scripts, good or bad?

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    During one of the years in which we had the $20 early entry fee, one entrant submitted over 100 scripts..

I'm curious - did any of the entrant's 100 scripts place high or win?

Leave a comment:

• jciswhatis
    replied

I think the 3 script max is a great idea and makes writers think about which of their scripts are the better of their bunch. Plus, it ensures that someone won't go crazy spending thousands of dollars on entry fees and getting nothing in return. That would hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

During one of the years in which we had the $20 early entry fee, one entrant submitted over 100 scripts.
    Damn. Hope that guy/gal actually got somewhere in his/her efforts.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    Curious as to why the new 3-script limit?
    For a number of years, some writers have entered from four to ten (or even more) scripts every year. During one of the years in which we had the $20 early entry fee, one entrant submitted over 100 scripts.

Originally, our policy was not to have readers read any writer they had read before. Over time, we had to reduce that to not to read any script they had read previously. The multiple entries over many years makes this policy increasingly difficult to follow. Reducing the repeat entries should allow this policy to continue.

With their multiple entries, some writers seemed to be attempting to game the process to give themselves an advantage over other writers. This is not fair to the vast majority of entrants.

Time and resources are limited, and the three-script limit will help. While adding the limit will probably only reduce our total entries by a hundred or so scripts, any reduction is helpful, given the amount of time it takes to handle and judge thousands of scripts.

We think having a three script limit will not affect the Nicholl Fellowships' goal of identifing and encouraging talented writers.

To answer the other question, three scripts is three scripts, whether submitted by a solo entrant, a team or any combination.

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji
    replied

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    Also, how does the "3 scripts" rule apply to joint authors?

For example, if Smith wrote one and Jones wrote one and then Smith and Jones wrote 3 together, can they enter the three joint ones AND one solo one each? Or would they be limited to 3 scripts total, whether solo or joint?

L.
    hehe i think the former is wishful thinking. otherwise itd be unfair for the rest of us non joint authors and whats to stop us from suddenly having a joint author in order to submit more scripts?

Leave a comment:

• LauriD
    replied

Also, how does the "3 scripts" rule apply to joint authors?

For example, if Smith wrote one and Jones wrote one and then Smith and Jones wrote 3 together, can they enter the three joint ones AND one solo one each? Or would they be limited to 3 scripts total, whether solo or joint?

L.

Leave a comment:

• LauriD
    replied

Curious as to why the new 3-script limit?

LauriD

Leave a comment:

• EJ Pennypacker
    replied

Actually, the Nicholl online process will allow uploads of PDF scripts in 2009.

And the online application code has been rewritten so we're fairly confident that entrants won't face the crashing problems that they encountered over the past three years.

We're in the midst of proofing the site pages and our Web folks have a little more tweaking to go. We had hoped to have it up this week but obviously missed that goal. If all goes smoothly, we're anticipating having it up late next week.
    This is great news. I was at the site and it didn't mention this but this is great 'green' news.

EJ

Leave a comment:

• briking
    replied

And the online application code has been rewritten so we're fairly confident that entrants won't face the crashing problems that they encountered over the past three years.

We're in the midst of proofing the site pages and our Web folks have a little more tweaking to go. We had hoped to have it up this week but obviously missed that goal. If all goes smoothly, we're anticipating having it up late next week.
    Awesome Greg. Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
    It appears that since last years trial run of pdf submissions for outside the US enteries, they have still not gone over to a paperless comp.

EJ

Leave a comment:

• spyder23
    replied

Leech and Acqua,

Thanks guys! You both made my decision a lot easier.

I'll give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• EJ Pennypacker
    replied

It appears that since last years trial run of pdf submissions for outside the US enteries, they have still not gone over to a paperless comp.

EJ

Leave a comment:

• ihavebiglips
    replied

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
    You could get a papercut while printing the script, develop gangrene, and die.
    That's why I'm not entering this year. Last year I got a papercut, developed gangrene, and died.

Leave a comment:

• Sinnycal
    replied

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
    Unless you're hurting financially, what's the worst that can happen?
    You could get a papercut while printing the script, develop gangrene, and die.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X