X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
    i wonder if its better to submit early.
    Advantages for an early entry: no burn out by readers, more likely not to react negatively at the reading of an overly familiar premise. The reread scoring line tends to be lower (i.e., it's easier to receive a second read).

Disadvantages for an early entry: some readers tend to be a little tougher early on as they get a feel for how good the overall quality is going to be. Less time to polish the script.

Advantages for a late entry: more time to polish the script. Readers tend to have a better sense of where all scripts fit into the overall scheme of things and scores tend to be a little higher overall.

Disadvantages for a late entry: As we stack up an ever increasing number of higher scoring scripts, the scoring line for rereads tends to be higher (i.e., it's harder to receive a second read).

My recommendation: enter near April 25-27. If you do so, you will be among the first 50% of all entries. Your script probably won't be among the first scripts read by any reader, but it will be read early enough that burn-out and familiarity with premises and genres probably won't be a factor.

Entering online late on May 1 or mailing media mail or from a foreign country on May 1 probably will place your script among the last few hundred read. Although we try to keep things as even as possible throughout the reading period, I would try to avoid being read at the end when there is a possibility of a crunch.

Of course, with this being the first year in which we probably will have 2000 PDF entries, it may alter all of the above slightly.

Comment

Thanks for the insights, Greg! This is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
        Advantages for an early entry: no burn out by readers, more likely not to react negatively at the reading of an overly familiar premise. The reread scoring line tends to be lower (i.e., it's easier to receive a second read).

Disadvantages for an early entry: some readers tend to be a little tougher early on as they get a feel for how good the overall quality is going to be. Less time to polish the script.

Advantages for a late entry: more time to polish the script. Readers tend to have a better sense of where all scripts fit into the overall scheme of things and scores tend to be a little higher overall.

Disadvantages for a late entry: As we stack up an ever increasing number of higher scoring scripts, the scoring line for rereads tends to be higher (i.e., it's harder to receive a second read).

My recommendation: enter near April 25-27. If you do so, you will be among the first 50% of all entries. Your script probably won't be among the first scripts read by any reader, but it will be read early enough that burn-out and familiarity with premises and genres probably won't be a factor.

Entering online late on May 1 or mailing media mail or from a foreign country on May 1 probably will place your script among the last few hundred read. Although we try to keep things as even as possible throughout the reading period, I would try to avoid being read at the end when there is a possibility of a crunch.

Of course, with this being the first year in which we probably will have 2000 PDF entries, it may alter all of the above slightly.
        Hi Greg,

thanks for the valuable insight. Could you explain what a "reread scoring line" is and why when you submit can affect it?

Comment

Hi Greg,

thanks for the valuable insight. Could you explain what a "reread scoring line" is and why when you submit can affect it?
          There is a score that generates second reads.

Early on, zero scripts have been reread. Given that I believe some readers to be tougher early and less so later, I tend to be lenient on rereads, and so the scoring mark has a little flexibility in the first month or so of the competition.

Once second read scripts start to pile up, the score begins to firm up.

After about June 1, the line is set in stone.

By June 1, we've completed more than half of all the reading, which is why I suggest entering a few days prior to the deadline. That will put an entry into the first half of all scripts, close to the middle.

All of this is based on past years with hard copy entries. With PDF entries, the numbers and dates may shift a little, though I suspect most entries will arrive at the deadline and during the week after for properly postmarked hard copies.

This portion of the process probably affects only dozens of scripts, not hundreds. All of these scripts will have received a marginal first score, which means they would still need two good or better scores to have a chance to advance.

Comment

There is a score that generates second reads.

Early on, zero scripts have been reread. Given that I believe some readers to be tougher early and less so later, I tend to be lenient on rereads, and so the scoring mark has a little flexibility in the first month or so of the competition.

Once second read scripts start to pile up, the score begins to firm up.

After about June 1, the line is set in stone.

By June 1, we've completed more than half of all the reading, which is why I suggest entering a few days prior to the deadline. That will put an entry into the first half of all scripts, close to the middle.

All of this is based on past years with hard copy entries. With PDF entries, the numbers and dates may shift a little, though I suspect most entries will arrive at the deadline and during the week after for properly postmarked hard copies.

This portion of the process probably affects only dozens of scripts, not hundreds. All of these scripts will have received a marginal first score, which means they would still need two good or better scores to have a chance to advance.
            Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking time to answer these questions. One more question: are the rereads conducted by a different reader? And is the "score" a result of scores that are so low a reader bias is assumed?

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking time to answer these questions. One more question: are the rereads conducted by a different reader? And is the "score" a result of scores that are so low a reader bias is assumed?
              Well, yes, rereads are conducted by a different reader.

I'm not sure what your second question means.

When a competition receives thousands of entries, there are plenty of scripts that deserve extremely low scores.

I encourage readers to let me know when a script might have escaped them, so we occasionally reread scripts on the chance that an initial reader just didn't get it.

Comment

The 2009 Nicholl Fellowship application is now available.

Good luck to all.
                Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Leech View Post
                  The 2009 Nicholl Fellowship application is now available.

Good luck to all.
                  I don't need luck.

I'm sleeping with the program coordinator's picture under my pillow.

Comment

Well, yes, rereads are conducted by a different reader.

I'm not sure what your second question means.

When a competition receives thousands of entries, there are plenty of scripts that deserve extremely low scores.

I encourage readers to let me know when a script might have escaped them, so we occasionally reread scripts on the chance that an initial reader just didn't get it.
                    Oh I see. I was mistaken impressed that if the score was too low then those would be considered for rereads but your explanation makes much more sense

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
                      I don't need luck.

I'm sleeping with the program coordinator's picture under my pillow.
                      But she said I was the only one

Comment

I just noticed, as of this time and date, the online application is experiencing technical difficulties, so you can't submit the script as a pdf just yet. You can only download the three-page application.
                        Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I know this is a bit of a bump, but I was wondering... I'm currently a sophomore in college. In the off, off, off chance I win...what happens? Would I get to postpone the fellowship year all the way until I graduated? Additionally...if one wins, and then sells a script before starting the fellowship year, what happens? I'm assuming that won't disqualify the person, right?

Just curious...

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Q: What would happen if a full-time student was a winner of the competition?

A: That has happened on several occasions. A student winner would simply defer the beginning of the fellowship year until after the completion of his or her educational requirements. For instance, if we awarded a student a Nicholl Fellowship in November, and the student was not slated to graduate until the following June, we would defer the start of the fellowship year until June.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl...ml#eligibility

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                              I know this is a bit of a bump, but I was wondering... I'm currently a sophomore in college. In the off, off, off chance I win...what happens? Would I get to postpone the fellowship year all the way until I graduated? Additionally...if one wins, and then sells a script before starting the fellowship year, what happens? I'm assuming that won't disqualify the person, right?

Just curious...
                              Ada was nice enough to quote the Nicholl FAQs regarding a student deferment, so I'll expand a bit and address the second part of your question.

If a sophomore won, the fellowship could be deferred until after graduation. Or perhaps we would allow you to spend your summers writing. We have had fellowship years broken into several months periods over a several year period.

If someone sold a script right after winning a Nicholl Fellowship and then kept on working over the next two years, that Fellow would only receive his first check. Mike Rich is an example of that.

Also possible would be selling a script and then returning to complete the fellowship at a later time. Several fellows have had that experience.

Comment

FYI - the Nicholl online application capable of accepting PDF uploads is now live.

Just over 20 scripts have been entered as PDFs thus far.

Thanks for your patience.

Some quick pointers if you do plan to enter online with a PDF.

You need a Visa or Mastercard.
                                You should have your script's log line worked out prior to starting the application.
                                If you are part of a collaborative team, you should have all the contact information for both members of the team.
                                You should prepare a PDF script file without your name, address, phone, e-mail or other identifying information. Only the Script Title should be on the title page. WGA registration number is also permitted on the title page.
                                Your PDF file needs to be under 2.0 MB. If your PDF file was converted through Final Draft or Movie Magic or another script processor, it will be probably be closer to 250K. Scanned files can get large and the system will not allow any large files to be uploaded.
                                You should know the location of your PDF so you can find it quickly (the online application allows you to browse your files to upload it).

Best of luck to all who decide to enter.

Comment

Working...
                                X