• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by joe78 View Post
    Anyone else still awaiting confirmation of their submission?

I trust that Greg et al have it under control; but I suspect this means that the record will indeed be broken...
    The names continue to slow us down. We crossed 6000 earlier this afternoon. The total will be above 6300.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
    You know I have some ideas as well that might help Nicholl next year in the handling of these screenplays. Perhaps each person can have a "profile" where their screenplays are stored. And each year, there is a "resubmit application" button where upon the same screenplay that was successfully formatted last year is resubmitted. I know I've resubmitted the exact screenplay a number of times without any modifications.

That way, if the title page has been corrected once, it will not have to be corrected again the next year when it is resubmitted. Just a thought.
    We don't plan on storing the scripts so this won't happen. Besides, I suspect more people rewrite their submissions than leave them exactly as is.

It takes about two minutes to upload a script within the application. I don't really think making it any easier will affect anyone.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
    If I recall, on the final upload page, the request that writers remove their personal information was written in grey text buried between two other lines also written in grey text.

I was surprised that, on that page, the point wasn't made far more forcefully and in a visually unmissable way. I imagine it will be next year.
    It's been in the rules and the FAQs for years. Overlooked by hundreds and hundreds year in and out.

We expect entrants to read the rules.

Information within the application was intended to be in addition to all that was provided earlier.

Unless we put it in 64 pt, it would still be overlooked by some and ignored by others.

Leave a comment:

• Harbinger
    replied

I think if we engage our logic drives for a second, it's kind of inevitable that the record was broken.

When the most reputable contest on god's green earth suddenly cries 'Do away with those brads. Save your printer ink. Worry nought about international paper sizes.'

And makes submission as easy as clicking a button (or two) then you're inevitably going to get floods of new people attracted by the ease of entry almost like Nicholl had invented a new lube.

And on that thoroughly unsavory note, I shall bid adieu with the prediction that the record was smashed by at least one hundred. Thankfully due to the Nicholl's percentage policy on those that advance, it doesn't make a huge impact.

Roll on July.

Leave a comment:

• joe78
    replied

Anyone else still awaiting confirmation of their submission?

I trust that Greg et al have it under control; but I suspect this means that the record will indeed be broken...

Leave a comment:

• marcoguarda
    replied

I know I'm late for this year, but it could turn out a useful information for the next one.

I have found this little freeware -- for personal use -- utility.

BullZip PDF Printer.

http://www.bullzip.com

It installs itself as a printer, so you have to print the file on this "virtual printer" to actually produce the pdf file.

A most peculiar tool is that you can decide on the print windows -- 'document' tag -- which information you want to appear in the final pdf document and modify it accordingly -- in this case replace the "author" line with a blank or a dash.

M.

Leave a comment:

• KenRichards
    Guest replied

Originally posted by grant View Post
    There are a few ways where you could problematically rip off the first page of a pdf and replace it with a page that just had the title (for example) from the database. I've done crazier stuff with PDFs at the day job.

Anyway, if you think it's worth trying to set something up for next year, feel free to send me a pm. I'll get you my contact info and we could talk more details.
    You know I have some ideas as well that might help Nicholl next year in the handling of these screenplays. Perhaps each person can have a "profile" where their screenplays are stored. And each year, there is a "resubmit application" button where upon the same screenplay that was successfully formatted last year is resubmitted. I know I've resubmitted the exact screenplay a number of times without any modifications.

That way, if the title page has been corrected once, it will not have to be corrected again the next year when it is resubmitted. Just a thought.
    Last edited by ; 05-19-2009, 06:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• grant
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    I assume you're speaking of the doc properties problem and not of names on the PDF script.

For doc props, how does a script open 6000 pdf files at once? If you could do that, I could see using a global sweep to erase the title and name field in doc props. Otherwise, I assume the script would open each PDF in turn, erase the fields, then close. BTW, this is all within our database, if that makes a difference.

For individuals to remove your names, it is easiest to remove the information prior to creating the PDF. It's just pulling the information from the original file (FD, MM, Word, etc.), which in turn is probably pulling the information from your computer set-up.
    There are a few ways where you could problematically rip off the first page of a pdf and replace it with a page that just had the title (for example) from the database. I've done crazier stuff with PDFs at the day job.

Anyway, if you think it's worth trying to set something up for next year, feel free to send me a pm. I'll get you my contact info and we could talk more details.

Leave a comment:

• TheKeenGuy
    replied

If I recall, on the final upload page, the request that writers remove their personal information was written in grey text buried between two other lines also written in grey text.

I was surprised that, on that page, the point wasn't made far more forcefully and in a visually unmissable way. I imagine it will be next year.

Leave a comment:

• Sinnycal
    replied

It's just pulling the information from the original file (FD, MM, Word, etc.), which in turn is probably pulling the information from your computer set-up.
    Then you guys have at least one script written by Hal-9000.

Leave a comment:

• carcar
    replied

Who knew? Now I'm wondering if I've disqualified myself from any other competitions...

Hey! That explains it!

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by grant View Post
    If you're doing this by hand, I could probably write a computer script to do it all in one fell swoop. For next year, I mean.
    I assume you're speaking of the doc properties problem and not of names on the PDF script.

For doc props, how does a script open 6000 pdf files at once? If you could do that, I could see using a global sweep to erase the title and name field in doc props. Otherwise, I assume the script would open each PDF in turn, erase the fields, then close. BTW, this is all within our database, if that makes a difference.

For individuals to remove your names, it is easiest to remove the information prior to creating the PDF. It's just pulling the information from the original file (FD, MM, Word, etc.), which in turn is probably pulling the information from your computer set-up.

Leave a comment:

• grant
    replied

I think that nearly every PDF remaining to be processed has a name on the script or in doc props or both.
    If you're doing this by hand, I could probably write a computer script to do it all in one fell swoop. For next year, I mean.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

i don't think FD has that problem. greg only mentioned PDF versions. did they accept movie magic?

Leave a comment:

• ShariMacD
    replied

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
    Thankful that the Nicholl is lenient and forgiving,
    HH
    Me, too. I didn't know to watch for this and am definitely one of the guilty parties. Thanks, HH, for the answer. And thank you, Greg, for patiently taking care of this for all of us.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X