No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by rumely View Post
    I would also like to know if Galahad would have been disqualified. I have a script "inspired by" a public domain short fantasy story (6 pages) that is over 100 years old. My version is completely different (the original didn't even have dialogue). Only the set up and a couple early plot points are shared. I suppose my question is this: When does "inspired by" become "adapted from"?
    Galahad is not similar to this case. In that, it's tough to point to the source material. Was it Once and Future King, Morte d'Arthur or some combination of many different sources?

In your case, clearly you used a sole source as your "inspiration." Would the script exist without the sole source?

Your script seems to be an adaptation.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. You do a great job keeping us all informed.

rum

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
        Would the script exist without the sole source?
        What a concise response that really answers the question of what is an adaptation by Nicholl standards. Thanks again Greg for stopping by so frequently and answering so many questions.
        http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how many scripts have been processed both pdf and hardcopy as of today?

Comment

Can someone clarify a very important point for me?

Nicholl Qualifications
            Screenwriters who have not earned more than $5,000 writing fictional work for film or television.

I earned more than $5k when a producer optioned my screenplay, which was based on an autobiography I had optioned. It wasn't fictional, it was true. Movie never got made.

Does that mean I am eligible to submit to the Nicholl now?

I always thought I couldn't submit because I had earned more than $5k, but this language implies it's for fictional work.

So, am I in?

Comment

Originally posted by baraka View Post
              Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how many scripts have been processed both pdf and hardcopy as of today?
              We try not to pay attention to such matters, but it might be 775.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnycomelately View Post
                Nicholl Qualifications
                Screenwriters who have not earned more than $5,000 writing fictional work for film or television.

I earned more than $5k when a producer optioned my screenplay, which was based on an autobiography I had optioned. It wasn't fictional, it was true. Movie never got made.

Does that mean I am eligible to submit to the Nicholl now?
                No, it doesn't mean that.

Scriptwriting for feature films = fictional. Not eligible if earnings over $5,000.

Writing news or documentaries or reality = non-fictional. No effect on eligibility.

Comment

No, it doesn't mean that.

Scriptwriting for feature films = fictional. Not eligible if earnings over $5,000.

Writing news or documentaries or reality = non-fictional. No effect on eligibility.
                  Darn!

But thank you for the prompt reply. Pretty amazing of you.

Comment

We try not to pay attention to such matters, but it might be 775.

Thank you for reading my annoying question and then answering it so quickly. Have a good weekend.

Comment

Greg, how is it that people are contacted with their positions for each level of the competition. Am I correct in that you send out letters for Quarterfinalists and Semifinalists...and then you call for the Finalists and Fellows? I read somewhere that that's how it was done.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

after you receive a letter that you have advanced to the semi-finals then you better turn your phone service back on.
                        just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                          Greg, how is it that people are contacted with their positions for each level of the competition. Am I correct in that you send out letters for Quarterfinalists and Semifinalists...and then you call for the Finalists and Fellows? I read somewhere that that's how it was done.
                          Just to make this clear, every entrant receives notification of their status throughout the competition. Regrets to most entrants, congratulations to the quarterfinalists. Regrets to many quarterfinalists, congratulations to the semifinalists. Regrets to the semifinalists, congratulations to the finalists.

Honestly, I don't know what we'll do this year. The majority of entrants will have online accounts, which means they can access records, which means we could put some results online. Nearly everyone has an e-mail address, so perhaps we could e-mail the regret and congratulations letters throughout the competition. Perhaps we would do both.

On the other hand, letters have a softer edge and a little more formality, and we could decide to continue to send letters to everyone. If we do make this decision, I suspect it will be the last year prior to switching over to e-mail and/or Web site announcement.

When we reach the finalist stage, we almost certainly will continue to call the 10 or so writers both as finalists and then as fellows (or not).

Comment

Hi, Greg. I am sure you have plenty of people submitting from all over the world. I wondered if when the scripts are being judge if you take into consideration that english may not be the writers first language.
                            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

When we reach the finalist stage, we almost certainly will continue to call the 10 or so writers both as finalists and then as fellows (or not).
                              you want my number now, greg?

or is that being just too cocky? lol!

Comment

Just to make this clear, every entrant receives notification of their status throughout the competition. Regrets to most entrants, congratulations to the quarterfinalists. Regrets to many quarterfinalists, congratulations to the semifinalists. Regrets to the semifinalists, congratulations to the finalists.

Honestly, I don't know what we'll do this year. The majority of entrants will have online accounts, which means they can access records, which means we could put some results online. Nearly everyone has an e-mail address, so perhaps we could e-mail the regret and congratulations letters throughout the competition. Perhaps we would do both.

On the other hand, letters have a softer edge and a little more formality, and we could decide to continue to send letters to everyone. If we do make this decision, I suspect it will be the last year prior to switching over to e-mail and/or Web site announcement.

definitely agree with you on letters having the softer edge. even though i didnt win, it was always nice to just receive the acknowledgment that i tried in the form of the letter.

Comment

Working...
                                X