Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2009

Honestly? I think that if you're entering 5+ scripts (100!!?!?!) then the chances of them being ALL sh!t are VERY high. People who enter, say... 5+ scripts are probably pretty desperate to win. How confident can you be, if you throw every damn script at the wall, hoping one will stick, instead of focusing on your BEST work, and submitting that?

Comment

Originally posted by Erehwon View Post
      Honestly? I think that if you're entering 5+ scripts (100!!?!?!) then the chances of them being ALL sh!t are VERY high.
      You must be right. I think I entered four during one particular year and none of them advanced. Still, I saw merit in each one, but then I've been delusional about my talent for a long time.

For example, I'm planning to submit three scripts this year - two new spec scripts and another one that I recently rewrote after watching a live reading and gathering considerable feedback.

I can't help it. I think they're all worthy enough to compete with the best and the brightest.

Comment

I hear ya. Hey, I've entered two at a time, usually.

Comment

Given the strenght of the contest (and low cost), you'd be a fool not to send in the max. amount and see how they play out.

EJ

Comment

Honestly? I think that if you're entering 5+ scripts (100!!?!?!) then the chances of them being ALL sh!t are VERY high. People who enter, say... 5+ scripts are probably pretty desperate to win. How confident can you be, if you throw every damn script at the wall, hoping one will stick, instead of focusing on your BEST work, and submitting that?

I don't think that's a valid assumption at all. Some people write lots of bad scripts, others write lots of good scripts.

Lawrence Kasdan (The Big Chill, Body Heat, etc.) wrote 6 scripts in 7 years (and for all I know, submitted them all to the Nicholl...) before he ever sold one.

Many people on this board have stories about how a script advanced some years but not others. Writing well is the main thing, but the taste of the readers is also a factor, so it helps to have scripts that appeal to various tastes.

If it wasn't for this new rule, I'd have 4 scripts in competition this year (including two former semi-fi's) and would be cranking away on # 5 in hopes of having another ticket in the barrel by May 1. I don't see how that's an abuse of the system...

I think that allowing relatively unlimited entries (maybe 10 max?) encourages people to keep writing and trying new styles and genres.

However, I can also understand wanting to give each script a fresh set of eyes.... Maybe in this economy it will be easier to recruit more readers?

LauriD
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
              I don't think that's a valid assumption at all. Some people write lots of bad scripts, others write lots of good scripts.

Lawrence Kasdan (The Big Chill, Body Heat, etc.) wrote 6 scripts in 7 years (and for all I know, submitted them all to the Nicholl...) before he ever sold one.

Many people on this board have stories about how a script advanced some years but not others. Writing well is the main thing, but the taste of the readers is also a factor, so it helps to have scripts that appeal to various tastes.

If it wasn't for this new rule, I'd have 4 scripts in competition this year (including two former semi-fi's) and would be cranking away on # 5 in hopes of having another ticket in the barrel by May 1. I don't see how that's an abuse of the system...

I think that allowing relatively unlimited entries (maybe 10 max?) encourages people to keep writing and trying new styles and genres.

However, I can also understand wanting to give each script a fresh set of eyes.... Maybe in this economy it will be easier to recruit more readers?

LauriD
              It's an abuse of the system if, say, writers are throwing every script they have at the Nicholl, in a desperate attempt that ONE of them will stick. Why not just focus on your best work, polish that (or those three or four), and go with that? And I don't see the connection between allowing people to enter 10 scripts somehow keeps them writing. What should keep you writing, I would think, is your drive and love of writing, not in whether you do well in a contest.

And I really don't think your Kasdan example plays out, at least the way you wrote it. He wrote 6 scripts in 7 years. Lots of guys do that before they ever sell anything. How does that have to do with entering a kajillion scripts in the Nicholl?

Comment

It's an abuse of the system if, say, writers are throwing every script they have at the Nicholl, in a desperate attempt that ONE of them will stick.
                Coulda swore that was the system.

Comment

It's an abuse of the system if, say, writers are throwing every script they have at the Nicholl, in a desperate attempt that ONE of them will stick.
                  Having thrown more than a few scripts into the system, it never seemed like an act of desperation to me. More likely, general confusion over how readers might respond to different types of material.

Look, I've written scripts where I didn't have a great feeling about them -- and then one of them ends up as a Nicholl Finalist. And I've written scripts where I start practicing my Oscar speech and wondering when I should quit my day job -- and they go nowhere.

So I guess some people do a better job of self-analysis and self-critique of their work. As for abuse of the system. Heck, I've paid my money and in return, I receive the service that I've paid for -- the privilege and opportunity to participate in perhaps the most reputable screenwriting contest in the land. It all seems fair and equitable to me, including whatever script submittal limitations are deemed appropriate. It's their contest.

Comment

Hey, I got no problem with the limitation. I've entered scripts that I thought were winners, and they went nowhere, and the opposite's happened, too, where a script I wrote in like a month went to the semi's.

And I've also certainly done my part to support the Nicholl, for like the last 8-9 years, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
                      So I guess some people do a better job of self-analysis and self-critique of their work. As for abuse of the system. Heck, I've paid my money and in return, I receive the service that I've paid for -- the privilege and opportunity to participate in perhaps the most reputable screenwriting contest in the land. It all seems fair and equitable to me, including whatever script submittal limitations are deemed appropriate. It's their contest.
                      Exactly. I've submitted multiple screenplays the past few years, and made the Semifinals with four different screenplays. Often the same script that dinked out in year one cracked through in year two. Just as often the script I considered "least likely to..." was the one that made the semi's. Ya never know.

The Nicholl is the best game in town. Nothing comes close. If Greg wants to limit multiple submissions, that's his choice and he's certainly entitled to do it. I'm just glad that I had the privilege in the past to enter whatever scripts I felt were ready for Nicholl scrutiny, and I will continue to enter until I either crack the finals or become ineligible (oh happy day!!!).

Late Night Writer

Comment

Hi Greg....I just checked the web site, and it said you are not currently accepting electronic script submissions...Is that expected to change before the 5-1 deadline?
                        thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by slsla View Post
                          Hi Greg....I just checked the web site, and it said you are not currently accepting electronic script submissions...Is that expected to change before the 5-1 deadline?
                          thanks!
                          From earlier in the thread:

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                          Actually, the Nicholl online process will allow uploads of PDF scripts in 2009.

And the online application code has been rewritten so we're fairly confident that entrants won't face the crashing problems that they encountered over the past three years.

We're in the midst of proofing the site pages and our Web folks have a little more tweaking to go. We had hoped to have it up this week but obviously missed that goal. If all goes smoothly, we're anticipating having it up late next week.
                          Our application and IT folks have run into a problem involving the server configuration. Once that is figured out and we do some testing, the application will be good to go. Hoping for next week now.

Comment

thanks for the update Greg, I'll keep checking back...

Comment

Will hard copy entries still be allowed? And I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but are writing teams (of two) permitted to enter?

Comment

Originally posted by citybrave View Post
                                Will hard copy entries still be allowed? And I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but are writing teams (of two) permitted to enter?
                                From the Nicholl website:

Q: Can collaborative teams enter the competition?

A: Yes, if the team consists of exactly two writers who are equal partners in all aspects of the creation of the script.

Each collaborator must fill out and sign a separate application form. One collaborator must be designated as the primary contact. If the collaborators are applying online, they must follow the instructions for adding a collaborator to an entry.

Comment

Working...
                                X