No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
    if i thought you were serious would you think less of yourself?
    Probably a 50/50 chance of it...

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
      Haha I guess what I really meant was, it's a great number for Greg. I forgot about the 3 script limit. I guess that makes me even more surprised at the high number of entries.

As someone has mentioned, the online submission system has probably helped push those numbers. Glad Nicholl has finally got one set up. Hard-copy contest submission was sooo 2006.
      Since reading costs and total entry fees are about the same, receiving more scripts really isn't all that great. Just more work.

On the other hand, setting records is usually fun, and this one has been standing for far too long. When the mail arrives later this morning, we'll probably be able to estimate whether we've gone over 6073. If not today, then probably tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
        Since reading costs and total entry fees are about the same, receiving more scripts really isn't all that great. Just more work.

On the other hand, setting records is usually fun, and this one has been standing for far too long. When the mail arrives later this morning, we'll probably be able to estimate whether we've gone over 6073. If not today, then probably tomorrow.
        Hi Greg,

given the likelihood that there will be a record-breaking year in terms of entries, will more fellowships/finalists/semi/quarterfinalists be named?

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
          Hi Greg,

given the likelihood that there will be a record-breaking year in terms of entries, will more fellowships/finalists/semi/quarterfinalists be named?
          I would expect that to be the case. In past years, quarters have been about 5 percent of the total. Semi's about 2 percent. Or at least in those neighborhoods.

Comment

Hi Greg,

They award "up to" five fellowships. I doubt that would change just because entries are up.

Comment

Best of luck, DDers! A few of you are going to find your lives changed in ways I can't even convey.

And those of you who come close, who make the semis or quarters or get one of those kind little notes from Greg in real ink, will have that amazing feeling of knowing that you're really on the right track, that maybe you aren't crazy for thinking you can do this....

Comment

What happens when you put in a logline in the synopsis box? Are you disqualified?

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                  I would expect that to be the case. In past years, quarters have been about 5 percent of the total. Semi's about 2 percent. Or at least in those neighborhoods.
                  Hi Greg,

Ken has it right. Quarterfinalists will be around 5%, so at least 300. Semifinalists might be around 115-120, depending upon where a scoring demarcation appears.

Most years, there have been 10 finalists. That's a reasonable number of scripts for Nicholl Committee members to read in preparation for the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                    Ken has it right. Quarterfinalists will be around 5%, so at least 300. Semifinalists might be around 115-120, depending upon where a scoring demarcation appears.

Most years, there have been 10 finalists. That's a reasonable number of scripts for Nicholl Committee members to read in preparation for the meeting.
                    Great. Thanks for the info, Greg.

Comment

• Re: Will PDF formatting issues affect Nicholl judging?

Dear Greg,

When converting my two scripts to PDF (from Word), several page breaks resulted in line spacing issues. Specifically, some scene headings were left at the bottom of one page, with their descriptions at the top of the next. Also, in a few instances, spaces were eliminated between character dialogue and the next scene heading. Otherwise, the script formatting is perfect.

I couldn't resolve this issue before having to submit the scripts (still haven't, as a matter of fact). Will this alone kill my chances at a fellowship? Tell me now, please - so I can prepare myself for the worst:-(

Comment

• Re: Will PDF formatting issues affect Nicholl judging?

Originally posted by RileysGhost View Post
                        Dear Greg,

When converting my two scripts to PDF (from Word), several page breaks resulted in line spacing issues. Specifically, some scene headings were left at the bottom of one page, with their descriptions at the top of the next. Also, in a few instances, spaces were eliminated between character dialogue and the next scene heading. Otherwise, the script formatting is perfect.

I couldn't resolve this issue before having to submit the scripts (still haven't, as a matter of fact). Will this alone kill my chances at a fellowship? Tell me now, please - so I can prepare myself for the worst:-(
                        Short answer: You should be fine.

Long answer, this doesn't specifically answer it BUT if you proves they still read scripts. So one that is properly formatted with 1 formatting error shouldn't be a big issue.

Q: What happens to scripts that aren’t formatted correctly?

A: We read them. We evaluate thousands of entries in a typical year, and correctly formatted scripts not only make a better initial impression, they are actually easier to read.

Q: Format won’t disqualify a writer, then, but does it affect a script’s chances at a full read?

A: Yes. Some degree of professionalism is expected. A grossly out-of-format script will almost certainly not be read cover to cover. Furthermore, if a manuscript looks and reads like a stage play rather than a screenplay, it’s not going to fare very well, because the Nicholl competition is not a playwriting contest.
                        There are undoubtedly talented people oblivious to formatting issues who take a stab at screenwriting and turn out terrific scripts. But a reader who picks up an entry that looks nothing like a script does not anticipate one of these exceptional reads, but rather one that will be tedious and even painful. That initial resistance is almost impossible for a script to overcome.
                        http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks. I completely freaked out when I saw the snafu the pdf did to the Word doc (which, in my opinion, was perfect) on my formatted script. I falsely assumed converting to .pdf was like taking a picture of each page and that it would not mess with the formatting at all. A big falsehood.

I do believe the quality of writing is the key component to the Nicholls competition, but I know that formatting can be an indicator of one's talent.

Comment

Riley,

If you've been a DDP member since 05, I'm assuming you've been writing for at least that long, so how come you haven't switched to a screenwriting program yet? Most of them transfer to pdf without a hitch.

Just out of curiosity, what's been keeping you in the dark ages of word?...

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal
                              In the FAQs, we tried to equate log line and short synopsis. A detailed log line would be best for us in terms of assisting in the assigning of scripts to readers.

A blank synopsis box could lead to disqualification, since it is a required field. Most likely, we shall ask the entrant for a detailed log line/short synopsis when the field is left blank.
                              So that's what that thing was for... The "FACTS." When you spelled it wrong...he...he... I'm a... well, you can fill that in at your leisure. Thanks Greg. You're a fine young man with all the work you've accomplished. Isn't this known in the industry as (( /

Comment

Originally posted by joe78 View Post
                                Riley,

If you've been a DDP member since 05, I'm assuming you've been writing for at least that long, so how come you haven't switched to a screenwriting program yet? Most of them transfer to pdf without a hitch.

Just out of curiosity, what's been keeping you in the dark ages of word?...
                                I'm what you would call a dinosaur when it comes to computers. Also, I had a bad, bad experience with Final Draft several years ago (lost 20 pages of script at the most inopportune time in my career) and swore off all apps as a result. You make a good point, however, and I'll look into purchasing something again. Never had a problem with Acrobat converting Word before this year, but I guess all good things must come to an end.

Comment

Working...
                                X