No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by RileysGhost View Post
    I'm what you would call a dinosaur when it comes to computers. Also, I had a bad, bad experience with Final Draft several years ago (lost 20 pages of script at the most inopportune time in my career) and swore off all apps as a result. You make a good point, however, and I'll look into purchasing something again. Never had a problem with Acrobat converting Word before this year, but I guess all good things must come to an end.
    I used WordPerfect (!) for screenplays for a long, long time. When I started writing scripts, it was long enough ago that specialized programs didn't really exist yet, and I just got used to WP and stubbornly stuck with it. I finally switched to Final Draft, hmm, maybe a year and a half ago, and... my god, it's full of stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Porkaccino View Post
      I used WordPerfect (!) for screenplays for a long, long time. When I started writing scripts, it was long enough ago that specialized programs didn't really exist yet, and I just got used to WP and stubbornly stuck with it. I finally switched to Final Draft, hmm, maybe a year and a half ago, and... my god, it's full of stars.
      That's the telescope you're looking through...

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

So, Greg, has the record officially been broken yet? Have we topped 6073 submissions???

Comment

Hey, here's a question.

So I have this friend, Scooby-bloated Bill. Anyway, when he submitted his script, he was in a huge hurry and after his submission, he realized that there was a very stupid editing mistake in his draft. It seems, from what he told me, that the first 10 pages or so he erased every "hea" in the word "head" that appears. So "head" reads "d".

" ...that's paulie, my d clerk." or "...a big, red d with the hair greased back." or "he just stands and shakes his d."

It probably happened 5 or 6 times. Is he dead in the water? Is it all over? You can tell me the truth. It is, after all just a friend.

Tell me the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by ruby-throated phil View Post
            Hey, here's a question.

So I have this friend, Scooby-bloated Bill. Anyway, when he submitted his script, he was in a huge hurry and after his submission, he realized that there was a very stupid editing mistake in his draft. It seems, from what he told me, that the first 10 pages or so he erased every "hea" in the word "head" that appears. So "head" reads "d".

" ...that's paulie, my d clerk." or "...a big, red d with the hair greased back." or "he just stands and shakes his d."

It probably happened 5 or 6 times. Is he dead in the water? Is it all over? You can tell me the truth. It is, after all just a friend.

Tell me the truth.
            Your "friend" will be fine and that last example may get him into the semis.
            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Makes me hope I didn't submit any mistakes. Dadgum Open Office likes to fracture my script from here to Fresno.

Comment

Yeah. I...I mean my friend feels like a total ass.

Comment

Hey, here's a question.

Tell me the truth.
                  You are never dead in the water. You do after all have next year. Which is the case on a continual basis for all of us. If you don't hit it this year, next year come back swinging.

Comment

Yeah. I...I mean my friend feels like a total ass.
                    It's okay if that happens once. The important thing is to tell yourself that it will never happen again.

I got a producer to read a script a while ago that had way too many typos, and even had the wrong character name in a few dialog blocks. (I changed the name.) I of course never heard from him again. Same butchered script got into the quarter-finals of some reasonably big contest. I'd like to think it would have gone further without the stupid mistakes, not that I'll ever know.

Maybe it was the typos. Maybe not. But I'm never going to do that again. I don't care if I need to spend a week proofing it. I don't care if I need to read it out loud ten times to catch all that minor stuff.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                      You are never dead in the water. You do after all have next year. Which is the case on a continual basis for all of us. If you don't hit it this year, next year come back swinging.
                      I agree with this and with what grant says, learn from your mistakes and just don't ever do them again. But once you make them and they've passed you by, there's not much you can do but learn from them. Just keep one foot in front of the other and keep going and improving.

But when I read your posts ruby-throated phil, I just had to laugh and I really needed one then, so thanks for that and know you are not alone.

And good luck to everyone!
                      Last edited by Tig; 05-09-2009, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Greg, I know how busy you must be and I think people bug you with too many stupid questions on this board, but I heard something last night that really disturbed me, and I'm hoping you can find a moment to respond. I met one of your judges at a party last night, and she told me that you guys aren't actually printing out the scripts this year. Your judges are being asked to read all the online entries on their computers.

Respectfully, I do realize it's expensive to print out so many scripts, and it's not the "green" thing to do. But I also know how difficult it is to read a whole screenplay online. Much less the dozens of screenplays your judges are being asked to review. So this is very disturbing to me, because I fear those of us who entered online are going to be at a real disadvantage. Your competition is such a career-maker, this is very important to those of us who entered.

Do you really think it's a good idea to ask your judges to read all of our screenplays online? Don't you think that makes the job of evaluating scripts much more difficult for them? And for those of us who entered online, doesn't that put us at a real disadvantage? I know you're out to find the best material, so surely you want to give all your contestants a level playing field and give your judges the best possible chance to find great scripts?

One day hopefully the Kindle technology will make it easier to read screenplays in a digital format, but at this stage of the game, asking people to read scripts on their computers seems like a real mistake.

Comment

Entered a digital copy last year. Didn't do me any harm.
                          twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
                            Entered a digital copy last year. Didn't do me any harm.

snap.

Comment

One of the winners last year was a digital submission--and there were only 3% digital submissions last year.

This year, I think the digital submissions are around 80%. All three of my entries were digital this year. I'm not worried.

But I am curious--did we break the record for total submissions this year?...

Comment

Originally posted by joe78 View Post
                                One of the winners last year was a digital submission--
                                I wonder who it was?

Comment

Working...
                                X