• Re: Nicholl 2009

Originally posted by Telly View Post
    I wonder who it was?

Hahaha. Thinking, thinking...
    http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
      Entered a digital copy last year. Didn't do me any harm.
      That's the understatement of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by wildswan View Post
        Greg, I know how busy you must be and I think people bug you with too many stupid questions on this board, but I heard something last night that really disturbed me, and I'm hoping you can find a moment to respond. I met one of your judges at a party last night, and she told me that you guys aren't actually printing out the scripts this year. Your judges are being asked to read all the online entries on their computers.

Respectfully, I do realize it's expensive to print out so many scripts, and it's not the "green" thing to do. But I also know how difficult it is to read a whole screenplay online. Much less the dozens of screenplays your judges are being asked to review. So this is very disturbing to me, because I fear those of us who entered online are going to be at a real disadvantage. Your competition is such a career-maker, this is very important to those of us who entered.

Do you really think it's a good idea to ask your judges to read all of our screenplays online? Don't you think that makes the job of evaluating scripts much more difficult for them? And for those of us who entered online, doesn't that put us at a real disadvantage? I know you're out to find the best material, so surely you want to give all your contestants a level playing field and give your judges the best possible chance to find great scripts?

One day hopefully the Kindle technology will make it easier to read screenplays in a digital format, but at this stage of the game, asking people to read scripts on their computers seems like a real mistake.
        Are you serious?
        "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
          Are you serious?
          I wouldn't be too harsh on him, it's a legitimate question. We all know it's much easier to kick back and read a hard copy over a .pdf, it's just a fact. I was mildly surprised they are not printing copies, but when it comes right down to it, you have to believe the reader is rational enough not to make judgments based on any personal discomfort while reading the script.

You should be cool, printed or not. Good luck guys!

Comment

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
            Entered a digital copy last year. Didn't do me any harm.
            The difference is they printed out the digital submissions for the judges last year. At least, that's what I understand from this particular judge.

Curious to hear what Greg has to say...

Comment

The difference is they printed out the digital submissions for the judges last year. At least, that's what I understand from this particular judge.
              Well maybe this is just me, but outside of one of my own scripts- I have never printed a single script to read and I have read dozens and dozens. I don't find it hard at all to read a pdf, but again... maybe that's just me.
              http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

This judge said it was much harder for her. And personally, I agree with her. I find reading a screenplay online much more difficult than reading a hard copy.

I guess she could print out all the scripts if she wanted to, but the cost of doing that would really add up, and they don't get paid that much to begin with.

Comment

Not in the first and quarterfinal rounds. We printed nothing. In fact, for the quarterfinals, we scanned every script and gave readers a choice. (One minor detail: last year there were only 139 PDF entries.) Either you misunderstood the Nicholl judge; or the judge misunderstood what we did; or the judge was a volunteer Academy member and read in the semifinal round.

For the semifinals, we also gave the volunteer Academy members a choice; most chose paper copies.

Hundreds and hundreds of scripts into it, I have no concerns about there being differences in judging between paper and PDFs.

We can't have an official final count until we've processed every script. Since every script has to be "handled" at least twice, it takes a while.

Comment

I see. If you only had 139 online entries last year, that makes sense. She was probably never asked to read a pdf last year, or she chose the paper copies when given the choice.

Just a suggestion: It would be good for us writers to have this info before we enter so we can make the choice. For me, I know next year I'll enter a hard copy of my script.

Thanks very much for your response!

Comment

Originally posted by lucidimage View Post
                      Well maybe this is just me, but outside of one of my own scripts- I have never printed a single script to read and I have read dozens and dozens. I don't find it hard at all to read a pdf, but again... maybe that's just me.
                      It's not just you.
                      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Or, wait... Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, Greg. I apologize. But if we submit hard copies of our scripts, will the judges have the opportunity to read them that way? Or will you just scan our submissions and the judges will end up reading them online no matter what?

Comment

Or will you just scan our submissions and the judges will end up reading them online no matter what?
                          Yes, they will scan every page of every hard-copy script into the system so it's all done online.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                            Yes, they will scan every page of every hard-copy script into the system so it's all done online.
                            Do you work for the Nicholl, too? I love how everyone answers for Greg.

Comment

Do you work for the Nicholl, too? I love how everyone answers for Greg.
                              No, Telly does not work for the Academy, but I'd be happy to address any other questions you may have.

Comment

Or, wait... Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, Greg. I apologize. But if we submit hard copies of our scripts, will the judges have the opportunity to read them that way? Or will you just scan our submissions and the judges will end up reading them online no matter what?
                                What he said is that by the quarterfinals, the scan the hard copies and give readers the choice with those scripts of hard copy or PDF.

I submitted online this year, and it never occurred to me that they would possibly print the script out for a reader rather than simply provide the reader with a PDF.

If readers really feel that they cannot properly evaluate a script unless they read a hard copy, I don't think that is the responsibility of the Nicholl competition.

The readers always have the option of printing it out at their own expense.

Comment

Working...
                                X