Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest with the BEST Scripts

which top tier contests have the best written scripts to come out of them if anyone wants to take some guesses. im talking quality of script not anything else although i do realize there are different ways to judge quality.

Re: Contest with the BEST Scripts

wow okay no one wants to throw their hat into the ring? well ive read a few nicholl's scripts personally and think their quality is pretty high.

Comment

"well ive read a few nicholl's scripts personally and think their quality is pretty high"

duh...

Comment

Originally posted by wildswan View Post
        "well ive read a few nicholl's scripts personally and think their quality is pretty high"

duh...
        i know i know. but the reason why i bring it up is that for some of us who do well at some contests and we think we're the best and then we submit for a read to reps and they freaking hate it. i had an agent say she and some others read the winner of slamdance and the script was pretty awful in the third act.

Comment

Originally posted by wildswan View Post

duh...
          lol.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

We each have our own taste in screenplays and films. That's true of individual agents and contest judges, too. Somebody must have liked that Slamdance winner's third act.

Beyond that, there are a couple of differences between winning a contest and winning an agent.

For one thing, the only people participating in contests are unestablished writers, and the contest has to pick a winner. To win a contest, the judges have to decide you're the best of all the unestablished writers who entered. Though that may be pretty darn good, agents can't be forced to take on someone new.

Successful agents judge us against the established writers who are already making them money. For successful agents to decide they should take time and resources away from their current clients to take on someone new, they really have to be floored.

Also, contest judges often reward scripts they see as well-written and effective, regardless of marketability. Agents need scripts they can sell. A heartfeld drama may win a contest, but the agent may think it would be too hard for a newbie to break in with. Newbies most often break in with a low-price, clever high concept script in a popular genre like comedy, horror or thriller. Your drama may be more like the type of movie that would be made only if it's based on a popular book.

Or maybe the agent thinks your script has a sad ending the mass audience wouldn't like, and/or there's no star part an A-list actor would love to play. Or maybe the agent likes it but doesn't love it and just doesn't want the work of breaking in someone new.

A contest win will get you reads, but after that, they have to love it and think it's a good business decision. A lot of times they will tell you, "It's good writing, but I can't sell it. Bring me something I can sell."

Comment

also - some contests are sponsored by a production company looking for something specific. i was told this by the contest producer at slamdance. thanks to her i'm saving my money on that one.

Comment

Working...
              X