This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueCat Question

I am debating on submitting my script to the BlueCat contest - This is the first contest I would be entering, can anyone offer any feedback or info on the contest? Obviously I read the website, etc - I am really interested in the critique you get back -Any further info or insight is appreciated - Thanks

Lou
    Lou
    [email protected]

Re: BlueCat Question

I think Bluecat is a good contest. I entered last year and was quite pleased with the feedback. For your first contest I think it is a good one, because you will at least get some indication as to what works or doesn't. It was the first feedback I got on my last screenplay and I found it very helpful. The analysis isn't exhaustive (about one page -- I think) but is a good starting point for getting some outside feedback on your script. My only complaint on the feedback was that they sort of held back on the criticism a little bit. I got about 3/4 page of what they liked in the script and just about a quarter of a page on what they didn't. I would rather they took the gloves off and let me know a little more about what wasn't working. I'm sure that may depend on the reader. But overall a very positive experience.

Comment

adding to that - know that one critique is the feedback on one voice/one person. it can be very good and useful. i got some good feedback last year. but, i heard mixed reviews from many other contestants.

one place to check on contest reviews is at http://www.moviebytes.com

Comment

They find (at least some of) their readers on craigslist and pay them 10 bucks. If you're after ten dollar opinions, you could just go on craigslist and pay five or six people to read your script for you for the same price as the entry fee.

Comment

I think one of my two scripts entered (at the same time) had notes written by a $10/ script Craigslist reader.

It started with the big criticism that I had capped the names of minor characters who had speaking parts. I was told I should never cap the names of minor characters. Ever. Which is completely wrong. The brief notes went downhill from there. Ironically, this script had received a consider from New Line the year before.

Notes on the other script sort of hinted the reader had more experience and may read for studios. This person said my script was the best spec s/he's read in almost a year. Other points made revealed the reader had experience giving notes in terms of the notations made. However, even with this glowing feedback I didn't make the first cut.

My experience leads me to believe it's hit or miss in terms of Bluecat readers.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I split contests into two categories. One for contests that can be leveraged and potentially impact a career, and the other for contests that are good for really cheap feedback and maybe a bit of an ego boost.

The problem with BlueCat is that it wants to go on both lists and doesn't rank very high on either.

Comment

This is all great information, thanks everyone for your help and input

Lou
              Lou
              [email protected]

Comment

bluecat is good for feedback but no one in industry really cares for it and somehow a crappy movie - gary the tennis coach - was a past winner.

Comment

Don't waste your money.

Comment

I know one guy who reads for a big studio and they only pay him $60. It's a shame but that's HOLLYWOOD for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                      I think one of my two scripts entered (at the same time) had notes written by a $10/ script Craigslist reader.

It started with the big criticism that I had capped the names of minor characters who had speaking parts. I was told I should never cap the names of minor characters. Ever. Which is completely wrong. The brief notes went downhill from there. Ironically, this script had received a consider from New Line the year before.

Notes on the other script sort of hinted the reader had more experience and may read for studios. This person said my script was the best spec s/he's read in almost a year. Other points made revealed the reader had experience giving notes in terms of the notations made. However, even with this glowing feedback I didn't make the first cut.

My experience leads me to believe it's hit or miss in terms of Bluecat readers.
                      Professional screenwriters are not eligible to enter contests.

You enter them, which tells me you are not a professional writer, yet you offer script note services?

I've already made it known I don't pay for notes, but if I ever did, it would definitely be with a professional writer.

And if anyone wants some insider info on notes...

It's all about networking. Get yourself out there, get your name known to people, and you will eventually find some real professionals who will help you with reads. (and they won't charge you, either)
                      il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Thanks for your input - can you recommend any in regards to impacting a career? Thanks again -

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
                        I split contests into two categories. One for contests that can be leveraged and potentially impact a career, and the other for contests that are good for really cheap feedback and maybe a bit of an ego boost.

The problem with BlueCat is that it wants to go on both lists and doesn't rank very high on either.
                        Lou
                        [email protected]

Comment

This is a great website, thanks for the link

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                          adding to that - know that one critique is the feedback on one voice/one person. it can be very good and useful. i got some good feedback last year. but, i heard mixed reviews from many other contestants.

one place to check on contest reviews is at http://www.moviebytes.com
                          Lou
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
                            Professional screenwriters are not eligible to enter contests.

You enter them, which tells me you are not a professional writer, yet you offer script note services?

I've already made it known I don't pay for notes, but if I ever did, it would definitely be with a professional writer.
                            I made it clear in my original announcement I have not sold a script yet.

Perhaps you should read it again.
                            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              I made it clear in my original announcement I have not sold a script yet.

Perhaps you should read it again.
                              You don't need to sell a script to be a professional screenwriter.

You only need to have been paid to write a screenplay.
                              il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Working...
                              X