X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• invaderujin
    replied
    Re: BlueCat Question

Group hug everybody! Group hug! Everybody in!

Except for those mean nasty scum-bag moderators who lock all these threads that go off topic. I hope they choke on Jeff's $10k script notes and die.

Leave a comment:

• Tig
    replied

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Holy sh!t, an unexploited niche!

10k for read + detailed notes + a lecture how it's a bad idea to pay for notes. First come, first serve.
    Rather pricey there Mr. Lowell. Wonder if some rich person calls your bluff. If they do, please let us know.

Leave a comment:

• LMPurves
    replied

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    Email the mods -- they locked it, not at my request.
    They can clear up the mystery. Oh, by the way -- I read your blog. I accept your apology.
    I was actually going to let you have the last word, but...

That post actually made me laugh.

Touche.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
    The other thread *mysteriously* became locked, as soon as there were a couple of posts questioning your ability, or I would have continued my thoughts there.
    Email the mods -- they locked it, not at my request.
    They can clear up the mystery. Oh, by the way -- I read your blog. I accept your apology.

Leave a comment:

• LMPurves
    replied

Yes, I put myself out there and you commented in that older thread.

Why continue repeating yourself on the subject of my qualifications, here in this thread on another topic?

Was it a tuna fish sandwich?
    The other thread *mysteriously* became locked, as soon as there were a couple of posts questioning your ability, or I would have continued my thoughts there.

And incidentally, I don't eat fish from a can, or tuna fish sandwiches for that matter. But I digress...

Since YOU brought up the subject of your qualifications in this post, I shall comment again.

Why are you so defensive?

You have to know that putting yourself out there would create some flack, and you should have been prepared for it.

Instead of becoming defensive, you could have took the professional approach and responded to my comments as to the reasons you feel qualified to give script notes, or you could have even ignored me, for that matter.

I posted my thoughts.

You got defensive.

That pretty much speaks for itself.

And, I invite your response to this post, as I am more than happy to give you the last word, but I won't be "playing" this game anymore.

Like I said before...

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Never read "their" threads, so I can not comment. But if I did, I probably would have posted the same as I've posted with you.

YOU put yourself out there by creating a thread offering script services and I merely responded with my thoughts.

I questioned your professional ability to give said notes based on your experience.

And, to be frank, I don't believe you are qualified.

However, it was never personal, sc111, and if that is the way you perceive it, I can't help that.

Good luck.
    Yes, I put myself out there and you commented in that older thread.

Why continue repeating yourself on the subject of my qualifications, here in this thread on another topic?

Was it a tuna fish sandwich?

Leave a comment:

• JeffLowell
    replied

(As per my memory I have yet to see a working screenwriter offer script notes services here.)
    Holy sh!t, an unexploited niche!

10k for read + detailed notes + a lecture how it's a bad idea to pay for notes. First come, first serve.

Leave a comment:

• LMPurves
    replied

Did I steal your lunch in a past life? Seriously. You seem to have signalled me out for some reason.

There have been many people offering notes on the announcement page over the years, the majority of which are not working writers.

Some are studio readers, others have other credentials, like having worked at studios in the past.

(As per my memory I have yet to see a working screenwriter offer script notes services here.)

Yet I don't see you posting your objections in their threads. What's up with that? Did I offend you in some way?

Edited to add: I just reread your last post. I'm not sure what you mean in terms of "paid to write."
    Do you mean paid to write screenplays? Or paid to write in another industry or medium?
    Never read "their" threads, so I can not comment. But if I did, I probably would have posted the same as I've posted with you.

YOU put yourself out there by creating a thread offering script services and I merely responded with my thoughts.

I questioned your professional ability to give said notes based on your experience.

And, to be frank, I don't believe you are qualified.

However, it was never personal, sc111, and if that is the way you perceive it, I can't help that.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

You don't need to sell a script to be a professional writer.

You only need to get paid to write.
    Did I steal your lunch in a past life? Seriously. You seem to have signalled me out for some reason.

There have been many people offering notes on the announcement page over the years, the majority of which are not working writers.

Some are studio readers, others have other credentials, like having worked at studios in the past.

Yet I don't see you posting your objections in their threads. What's up with that? Did I offend you in some way?

Edited to add: I just reread your last post. I'm not sure what you mean in terms of "paid to write."
    Do you mean paid to write screenplays? Or paid to write in another industry or medium?
    Last edited by sc111; 02-16-2009, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LMPurves
    replied

I made it clear in my original announcement I have not sold a script yet.

Perhaps you should read it again.
    You don't need to sell a script to be a professional screenwriter.

You only need to have been paid to write a screenplay.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Professional screenwriters are not eligible to enter contests.

You enter them, which tells me you are not a professional writer, yet you offer script note services?

I've already made it known I don't pay for notes, but if I ever did, it would definitely be with a professional writer.
    I made it clear in my original announcement I have not sold a script yet.

Perhaps you should read it again.

Leave a comment:

• BBPLou
    replied

This is a great website, thanks for the link

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
    adding to that - know that one critique is the feedback on one voice/one person. it can be very good and useful. i got some good feedback last year. but, i heard mixed reviews from many other contestants.

one place to check on contest reviews is at http://www.moviebytes.com

Leave a comment:

• BBPLou
    replied

Thanks for your input - can you recommend any in regards to impacting a career? Thanks again -

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
    I split contests into two categories. One for contests that can be leveraged and potentially impact a career, and the other for contests that are good for really cheap feedback and maybe a bit of an ego boost.

The problem with BlueCat is that it wants to go on both lists and doesn't rank very high on either.

Leave a comment:

• LMPurves
    replied

I think one of my two scripts entered (at the same time) had notes written by a $10/ script Craigslist reader.

It started with the big criticism that I had capped the names of minor characters who had speaking parts. I was told I should never cap the names of minor characters. Ever. Which is completely wrong. The brief notes went downhill from there. Ironically, this script had received a consider from New Line the year before.

Notes on the other script sort of hinted the reader had more experience and may read for studios. This person said my script was the best spec s/he's read in almost a year. Other points made revealed the reader had experience giving notes in terms of the notations made. However, even with this glowing feedback I didn't make the first cut.

My experience leads me to believe it's hit or miss in terms of Bluecat readers.
    Professional screenwriters are not eligible to enter contests.

You enter them, which tells me you are not a professional writer, yet you offer script note services?

I've already made it known I don't pay for notes, but if I ever did, it would definitely be with a professional writer.

And if anyone wants some insider info on notes...

It's all about networking. Get yourself out there, get your name known to people, and you will eventually find some real professionals who will help you with reads. (and they won't charge you, either)

Leave a comment:

• Tig
    replied

I know one guy who reads for a big studio and they only pay him $60. It's a shame but that's HOLLYWOOD for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X