• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bono
    replied
    Re: Disney

That really stinks.

So TV is still going but feature side is dead?

Leave a comment:

• cvolante

• cvolante
    replied

Bummer.

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji

• lordmanji
    replied

wow so the program's been suspended? they should at least pick this year's fellows though after making us wait so long.

Leave a comment:

• writer0825

• writer0825
    replied

I saw that too artisone after I saw something about 2 girls getting into the program. That sucks as it was one of the more respected fellowship programs!!!

Leave a comment:

• artisone
    Regular

• artisone
    replied

I just heard that this is the last year that Disney is doing the feature side of the Disney Fellowship. There will be no more due to budget cuts.

Leave a comment:

• Leech
    replied

Well I'm not entirely sure if I am going to enter Zoetrope.

The script I'm entering in the Nicholl is a high-concept (and no, it's not the one I posted in Story Development) and I'm going to execute a heavy-handed campaign for it. I've never worked so hard on a script as I have for this one. If I don't get considerable traction from my queries and phone pitches, then I'll need to rely on contests that offer valuable exposure to get the script's concept out there.

Trying to ground myself in realism, the only exposure I expect from Zoetrope is to the companies it lists on its site, who will read either the logline or script if I at least place as a finalist. I don't expect Zoetrope to do more than that. And there are some worthwhile companies listed, and there are some that I wouldn't query because I'm somewhat familiar with their tastes.

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji

• lordmanji
    replied

Originally posted by Leech View Post
    Thanks for the update.

That was one of the competitions I was planning to enter this year. I guess it's just down to the Nicholl, Trackingb, and possibly Zoetrope.
    why zoetrope?

Leave a comment:

• jimjimgrande

• jimjimgrande
    replied

Originally posted by morecaffeineplease View Post

I am also wondering if there's any point to entering this if you don't have an ethnic-sounding name, even if you are a minority. On the application they make a big deal about being equal opportunity, but it kind of seems like a wild coincidence that in a blind selection process, all the chosen candidates just happen to have ethnic-sounding names?
    Though it might be blind in terms of determining finalists, once that pool has been formed, each applicant gets LOTS of face time with various execs and such.

Leave a comment:

• Leech
    replied

Thanks for the update.

That was one of the competitions I was planning to enter this year. I guess it's just down to the Nicholl, Trackingb, and possibly Zoetrope.

Leave a comment:

• Jooles
    New User

• Jooles
    replied

I found this posted on the www.disneyfeaturewritingfellowshipprogram.com home page:

"The Walt Disney Studios' Feature Writing Fellowship Program has been indefinitely suspended. If you are interested in learning more about the Disney | ABC Television Group's Television Writing Fellowship, please visit www.disneyabctalentdevelopment.com."

WOW!

I've been trying to get an application and release for the ABC Daytime Writing Program and was told that it's on hiatus until the Spring and to check back in April. I emailed them on the 1st, but no response yet. Now with CBS canceling "Guiding Light," I wonder what effect this will have on the ABC program.

Leave a comment:

• citybrave
    replied

Hey Caffeine --
    I don't think you're offending anyone; it's just the way things work. I knew someone who finaled in Disney with a terrific script and was then asked to submit a photograph. The writer is caucasian, and did not advance beyond the photo. But he shrugged it off, and told our writers group that he knew it was a diversity program when he applied. Yes, everyone should apply -- but bear in mind that the program encourages minority writers to apply as there are far fewer of them in the industry.

Leave a comment:

• morecaffeineplease
    New User

• morecaffeineplease
    replied

I know non-minorities on very rare occasions make the cut, I'm just wondering if it's by accident. Like does the applicant submit a minority themed script and they have a borderline ethnic-sounding name and nobody realizes they're whitebread til after they make the finals and have the in person interview? On the other hand if I am a Black woman named Sam J. McAllister, will they think I'm a privileged rugby player from Connecticut and cut me in the first round?

The only Disney winning entry I ever read was an autobiographical script (the main character even had the screenwriter's name) about the hardship of growing up black and female and poor and of a very unusual religion in the inner city. Can't help but wonder if that factored into making the cut, if you weighed that subject matter against an equally well-written script about a middle class white teenage boy having WASPy problems. The fellowship script would never sell in Hollywood, which tells me they're looking for something besides the ability to write sellable scripts.

I hope I don't offend anyone with these questions, I'm just trying to determine should I send my best and most commercial "Hollywood" script to this program, or one that's a little more Sundancey and all about the Minority Experience? I'd try both but they only let you send 1 script!!

Leave a comment:

• artisone
    Regular

• artisone
    replied

They definitely want to push diversity, but ethnicities go through the program, including whities.

Leave a comment:

• morecaffeineplease
    New User

• morecaffeineplease
    started a topic Disney

Disney

I've been trying to find out who made the features cut this year. There's nothing on the fellowship site, but I found this press release:

http://www.abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/d...x?id=020309_09

It only seems to be talking about TV fellows. Did they not bother with feature fellows this time?

I am also wondering if there's any point to entering this if you don't have an ethnic-sounding name, even if you are a minority. On the application they make a big deal about being equal opportunity, but it kind of seems like a wild coincidence that in a blind selection process, all the chosen candidates just happen to have ethnic-sounding names?
Working...
X