No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why (Most) Screenplay Competitions Suck

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
    This would only apply if the only factor in a film getting made was the screenplay being available.

But we all know about the dozens of other limits. For example, there is a limited amount of money available for funding the films, and even if the number of films made doubled, people would not simply watch twice as many films (or, at the least, wouldn't PAY to watch them!).

Good luck,

Mac
    Certainly you are right that there are other factors that limit production. But all factors lead back to distribution. The reason there isn't "funding" is because those sources of funding know how difficult it is to get a film distributed. So, those source don't make themselves available as the chances of getting distributed are so limited. In other words, it's not a good investment if you can't get it distributed, so no one wants to invest. I'm sure we've all heard of films being made, but never distributed? Even the famous instances where films were "funded" by credit cards, only to never be distributed. In the end, if it's going to be distributed, it's going to be distributed by about five companies. If they choose not to, it ain't going to be distributed.

But yes, you are right. There are many factors and markets do weed out the bad (or at least they are supposed to). But Hollywood doesn't operate on a purely free market template.
    Last edited by KenRichards; 04-11-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

In other words, it's not a good investment if you can't get it distributed, so no one wants to invest. I'm sure we've all heard of films being made, but never distributed? Even the famous instances where films were "funded" by credit cards, only to never be distributed. In the end, if it's going to be distributed, it's going to be distributed by about five companies. If they choose not to, it ain't going to be distributed.
      Soooo... You're saying those five companies should make lots of bad investments in things they think won't make money?

While many contests try to help their contestants get a leg up, I think most contest directors are pretty straightforward and aware of what their competition can and cannot do. There isn't a single contest that can guarantee a career in the film industry. There are some that can offer an enormous leg up, but in the end it always comes down to the writer and his, her, or their writing.

Personally, I don't think there are a lot of bad contests. I think there are a lot of poorly-run contests-- ones that have rotten communication skills, flawed judging, or questionable prizes. But that's a bit like saying the clerk at Jack in the Box screwed up your order, so therefore the whole franchise is about cheating their customers.

However, I think the percentage of competitions out there that are deliberately screwing writers out of their money is very small. And often inflated by... well, folks who can't fathom any other reason they didn't win the grand prize...

Comment

why on earth would any production company agree to read scriptapalooza? and to the op, i find it hard to believe that you read 120 scripts for a contest. were you getting paid for it? i mean, i find it illogical for any contest to ask a judge to read anything but the finalists which id think would be no more than 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Script a Wish View Post

1. Disney Feature Writing Fellowship Program

This competition is one of the very best at jump starting careers...
          http://www.disneyfeaturewritingfellowshipprogram.com/
          Following that link, I found:
          The Walt Disney Studios' Feature Writing Fellowship Program has been indefinitely suspended.

The ABC TV Writing Fellowship program is still going, though.

Very interesting personal story, thanks.
          --Jim

Comment

Working...
          X