Cannes-Are you going? Is your Manager or Agent going? Survival Kit?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannes-Are you going? Is your Manager or Agent going? Survival Kit?

Quentin Tarantino's WWII epic masterpiece "Inglourious Basterds" is headed to the French Riviera.

I'm thinking of taking my VISA and calling the TRAVEL AGENCY and booking a flight.

Should I do it????

Is this a place to market?

Is this the place to pitch?

Any DD members ever went to Cannes!

Is your manager going?

Is your agent going?

Please share your advice, nightmares and success and survival tips...

Thank you.
    Last edited by Ben; 04-02-2009, 06:09 AM.
    You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
    Paul Harvey
    -
    -
    -

Re: Cannes-Are you going? Is your Manager or Agent going? Survival Kit?

Hi Ben,

All of my producing partnerships (LA producer, New York producer) and my ongoing paid assignment work (UK production company) has come from Cannes. I won't be there this year though. I need to use the money I would splash out for the festival for other producing activities.

See my blog for my past experiences of Cannes. I've been there 7 times.
    Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
    Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

I've been to Cannes, but not when the festival was on. Nice place.

Comment

I was planning to go this year, but other plans have taken priority. There are some good survival guides/books on Cannes available. And the website.
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

The year I went I ended up making plans the first week of May. All the hotels in Cannes were booked, so I stayed in Antibes. It's about 15 minutes by commuter train. The only problem is that the train stops running around midnight, so if you plan to attend any parties (super if you get that opportunity, you never know) then you're stuck with finding a way to get back. But it's less expensive as hotels tend to be pricey in Cannes, especially since the dollar is low now against the euro. If you're on a budget, you can find inexpensive accommodations on this site. http://www.travellerspoint.com/budge...dation-en.html

If for no other reason, the south of France is amazing and you'll feel the energy at the festival which can be a great motivator.

Comment

I was there three years ago and it was phenomenal.
            But my recommendation -- do not go unless you have at least one or two projects and know people that are connected -- Because the only way to make it worth it, is if you are able to get into some parties and screenings, this is a must.

I was lucky to go with some great peeps... went to EXTREMELY cool parties, even met some A list actors which surprised me for how cool and approachable they were. The best thing about Cannes is that if you have a project, it's the place to pitch, simply because everyone is so relaxed -- they're sipping champagne on a multi million dollar boat with nothing to worry about... and the energy level and enthusiasm is up the wazoo--

So keep in mind.

1. Have one or two projects ready to pitch or give to someone (script or otherwise)...

2. be able to get in to the parties and screenings.

3. have a business card, even if it just says your name, e-mail and number... This works well in Cannes because you meet a lot of people from overseas.

4. Have sex with someone there (preferably a woman ... most of the people are connected so trust me, It'll be good for your career and will do wonders for your stress levels .

5. Sell yourself like a French whore (Don't be mad, I love the French) -- Everyone is there to do business so don't hold back, be friendly, charming, be George Clooney --

6. Make the best of it, 'cause when you come back -- your credit card statement will be waiting for you .

If you can do it -- I'd say f%$#@' go.
            There's nothing in the world like the Cannes Film Festival. Believe me.

Comment

I'm thinking about going. As GS mentioned, I have the two scripts (projects) ready to go, but no connected peeps. Damn. No parties for me then. I need better friends and contacts.
              Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

cmmora... I suggest you try to get a press credential -- there are ways to get it... actually one of the girls I met in France -- she did that and went to most of the screenings (she did not work for any magazines or newspapers).

This might sound weird but -- if you speak some French you can contact people (producers, agents etc) that might be going and tell them that you can be their assistant there for free as long as they help you get into parties etc... (believe it or not, met a guy who did that with a Producer)

There are ways to get into parties... you gotta be sneaky and think ahead -- take a laptop / laser printer with you just in case -- who knows what can happen?:

But I'm not suggesting doing things illegally just do what works better for you. Good luck.

If you are seriously going... I could check to see if I have some people there you can contact. Not sure... but only if you are seriously going. Not promising anything -- Just saying If lucky I might find some of those old contacts....

Comment

No Cannes for me. I get stuck with the Polar Film Festival.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1979 View Post
                    cmmora... I suggest you try to get a press credential -- there are ways to get it... actually one of the girls I met in France -- she did that and went to most of the screenings (she did not work for any magazines or newspapers).

This might sound weird but -- if you speak some French you can contact people (producers, agents etc) that might be going and tell them that you can be their assistant there for free as long as they help you get into parties etc... (believe it or not, met a guy who did that with a Producer)

There are ways to get into parties... you gotta be sneaky and think ahead -- take a laptop / laser printer with you just in case -- who knows what can happen?:

But I'm not suggesting doing things illegally just do what works better for you. Good luck.

If you are seriously going... I could check to see if I have some people there you can contact. Not sure... but only if you are seriously going. Not promising anything -- Just saying If lucky I might find some of those old contacts....
                    Good stuff.

4. Have sex with someone there (preferably a woman ... most of the people are connected so trust me, It'll be good for your career and will do wonders for your stress levels .
                    This goes double for women screenwriters.
                    If you really like it you can have the rights
                    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Thanks for the advice GS. I'm still in the planning stage. I'll let you know if I can actually swing this.

Do companies there take meetings with writer/directors trying to sell their scripts? Sorry for the newbie question.

cmmora
                      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Like I said, everyone is there to do business, so meetings are a must... they're very casual and relaxed -- you're in the fvckin' Riviera for god's sake... --if they can't relaxed there then we're doomed...

But be ready -- know your story well -- be short, in case the moment comes. But more importantly be friendly, entertaining... over there is more about having fun while doing business than anything else. They want to make deals... but they also want to have fun stories to tell the shmucks who stayed at the office when they come back. You'll find out that most of the times, When you party with guys from LA (ask for their cards, nothing else) If you were cool about it, they'll remember you -- so make sure you wait till you come back to hit them up... 95 % of them they're like ****, that guy was ****in' cool... Yeah send me what you have... let's go have drinks soon... so be wise --

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X