Austin Film Festival: Giving Free Feedback With Entry:Second Rounds.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin Film Festival: Giving Free Feedback With Entry:Second Rounds.

Ah, that makes sense. Sounds like it is certainly a great deal. My script is about as mass market as I can write, which of course is what Hollywood wants... but the real question is whether the AFF wants it.

Comment

"So basically, is it only worth going to the conference if you're a semi-finalist or above? (you do find out prior to the conference, correct?)"

If you make to the semi-finalist round (or higher), definitely go. They have special panels with industry types that are only open to those who place.

If you're good at networking and there are some people at the conference you'd like to try to meet, go. The folks are VERY accessible, though you might have to fight through other writers trying to network as well.

RE: What AFF wants. They seem to be very open to both indie and mass market (I placed as a semi-finalist and mine was a broad comedy). But as you know with contests, it's a crap shoot. You just never know.

Comment

Forgot to answer the other question...yes...you do find out before the conference if you're a semi-finalist.

Usually you'll get notification around Labor Day if you're a Semi-Finalist (or not). If you see a letter in your mailbox around that timeframe, it's not good. Austin will call those who finished as Semi-Finalist.

Then, 3 or 4 weeks later, you'll learn if you're a Finalist or not.

Comment

Excellent. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
            So basically, is it only worth going to the conference if you're a semi-finalist or above? (you do find out prior to the conference, correct?)
            I was only a second rounder when I went, but I can't see how being a semi-finalist would've made the conference a better experience. There is an exclusive panel only open to semi-finalists and above, but then there is also an exclusive panel for second rounders. Last year, the second rounder panel consisted primarily of listening to Robert Townsend tell amusing stories. It was cool, but so were dozens of panels open to anyone with a festival badge. I'm sure the conference would've been every bit as worthwhile if I hadn't even entered the competition.

Winning would offer a big boost to the conference experience, I'm sure, but that's a given.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
              Does anyone know the timeframe for QF/SF/finalist/winner announcements?

I'm having trouble finding it on the Austin website.

First Rounders, Second Rounders and Semifinalists will be notified by September 2. Finalists will be selected and notified by September 23. Winners are announced at the Awards Luncheon in Austin on October 24.

Hope this helps.

--Alex

Comment

Yup! And you probably didn't notice, but I'm the same person who was asking about this on Triggerstreet, where I already thanked you.

But, thanks again!

Comment

Question about the "Latitude Award" for another $20...what's up with that? Is it worth it?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
                  HL

Comment

RE: Latitude Award.

For the extra dough, the Latitude Production Co will pick a script that they would be interested in producing (the winner also gets some $, a trophy, and reimbursement of airfare/hotel).

Though it doesn't say this on the website, in the past Latitude was looking for low(er) budget films (Correct me if I'm wrong on this Alex).

Also (in the past), Curtis met with not only the winner but a lot of the other folks who entered this part of the contest (semi-finalists/finalists). He seemed like a stand-up guy, very approachable.

The Latitude Award is kind of like the Abstract Prize in TrackingB's contest. Your work gets a look by someone in the industry (in TrackingB's case, it's a management co, not a production co.). So yeah, you could query these guys on your own and if your material is strong enough, you may not even need the contest avenue.

So...is it worth it? I guess it all depends where you place.

Comment

Originally posted by RGF View Post
                      ..in fact they just requested my latest screenplay which isn't even written yet (just based on the title).
                      ?wha?
                      "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
                      - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by loopdesign View Post
                        ?wha?

Yep. It's nice to have people who are interested in reading me...but it would be nicer if they'd stop just requesting scripts and actually rep me. I think I'm still dancing around the ability to actually nail a sellable high-concept script. Maybe the next one.

But the point is that winning top fests makes you connections. CAA is just one of them for me. If you nurture those connections, and try and remain top-of-mind...especially difficult if your like me and don't live in LA...then you open doors to getting read (even if the script isn't written yet). Wacky...I know. But I'll take it.

Comment

Thanks PaleWriter. Very helpful info.
                          HL

Comment

Working...
                          X