Austin Film Festival: Giving Free Feedback With Entry:Second Rounds.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Film Festival: Giving Free Feedback With Entry:Second Rounds.

Hey just heard this. Very encouraging.
    Thank you. I'm applying 100%.
    http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/feedback09

Cheers.
    You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
    Paul Harvey
    -
    -
    -

Re: Austin Film Festival: Giving Free Feedback With Entry:Second Rounds.

thanks for the info Ben. It doesn't look like they're accepting online submissions, which would make my life so much easier. It'll cost a fortune to courier a script from where i am

Comment

What's the lowdown on this contest these days? I remember it carrying some weight a few years back.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of this contest and the Fest. I'd say it's in the Top 3.

Comment

Top 3. Contest, conference and atmosphere are all superb. Still not as respected as Nicholl in the industry, but it can certainly open a few doors for the winners. And those who don't win can get great no-pressure access to LA-types at the conference.

Comment

i think it's great austin is doing this. it'll definitely generate buzz among tyro screenwriters.

Comment

Does anyone know the timeframe for QF/SF/finalist/winner announcements?

I'm having trouble finding it on the Austin website.

Comment

Keen - from my experience (2007 and 2008), they send letters out around Labor Day timeframe (last full week of August) either thanking writers for participating or to inform them they made it to the second round but no further.

Semi-Finalists get a phone call during this timeframe.

Then, from the list of Semi-Finalists, they (AFF) determine the top 4 or 5 Finalists (which I believe is another phone call...didn't make it to the Finalist round).

Again, all this usually happens around the Labor Day timeframe.

Comment

just struck me: how have finalists done in terms of getting repped? i know excess baggage won the festival years back and was made into a movie but since then any notable successes?

Comment

Cheers for the replies. The early deadline has passed and it just seemed like nobody's really talking about this contest. But it's good to hear that it does still generate some buzz for the winners.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                      just struck me: how have finalists done in terms of getting repped? i know excess baggage won the festival years back and was made into a movie but since then any notable successes?
                      http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/success_stories

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post

The year I won comedy, the drama winner got repped at William Morris. This year I plan on winning drama to give the comedy winner a shot at being repped at a big 5. Me, I'll stick with poverty, obscurity, and eating my own collar as a substitute for happiness and real food.

Comment

Just entered the contest today with my comedy script, after spending a century searching for some damn brass brads. Finally found a store that ordered them for me, came out much cheaper than getting them online.

So basically, is it only worth going to the conference if you're a semi-finalist or above? (you do find out prior to the conference, correct?)

Comment

Originally posted by RGF View Post
                            The year I won comedy, the drama winner got repped at William Morris. This year I plan on winning drama to give the comedy winner a shot at being repped at a big 5. Me, I'll stick with poverty, obscurity, and eating my own collar as a substitute for happiness and real food.
                            Whoa, you actually won! Congratulations. So I see it didn't work out as you may have hoped, but was there any interest in yourself / script or nothing at all?

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                              Whoa, you actually won! Congratulations. So I see it didn't work out as you may have hoped, but was there any interest in yourself / script or nothing at all?
                              It opened a lot of doors. I had 5 or 6 read requests right at the festival. And I used the win to do a mass query campaign and I got a bunch of other read requests after the festival. For about 3 months or so, I actually could get my foot in the door in places I thought were impossible. Some of these connections remain to this day...and I still have an open door at CAA...in fact they just requested my latest screenplay which isn't even written yet (just based on the title). So, I can say that the fest does make you a lot of connections, and gets you read by some of the biggest people in the biz, but if you don't have a commercial property (mine was more of an indie comedy) then you have to go back to the drawing board and come up with material they want.

But I can't speak for the Finalists or Semi-Finalists. I don't know how valuable that is. I do know some Finalists from my year got repped too.

Now, excuse me....I have an urge to play an old Beck tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X