The Secrets of Action Screenwriting: Amazon.ca: William C. Martell ...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secrets of Action Screenwriting: Amazon.ca: William C. Martell ...

Two readers from two screenplay contests are telling me to read this great book by Willam C. Martell (DD member and great screenwriter).

Just wondering if its coming out soon??

Folks are telling me that my action scenes are visual but at times too cinematic and conceptual -- over-cooked??
    You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
    Paul Harvey
    -
    -
    -

Re: The Secrets of Action Screenwriting: Amazon.ca: William C. Martell ...

Originally posted by Ben View Post
    Two readers from two screenplay contests are telling me to read this great book by Willam C. Martell (DD member and great screenwriter).

I've got a copy; the guy who owned it before me is buried somewhere in the Mojave Desert.
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

At that price, he deserved it
      A lovely being, scarcely formed or moulded,
      A rose with all its sweetest leaves yet folded.

Comment

Totally different than any other screenwriting book I own! Get it! It's in small digestible bites, like popping open a can of pringles. When you're done, you'll know 300 ways to kill a man with an empty pringles can.

Comment

Originally posted by wenonah View Post
          Totally different than any other screenwriting book I own! Get it! It's in small digestible bites, like popping open a can of pringles. When you're done, you'll know 300 ways to kill a man with an empty pringles can.
          Martell should use this on the back cover.

Comment

I use mine all the time for quick reference. Outstanding book like no other screenwriting book on the market.

My first copy -- autographed. Hollywood-By-The-Bay

Back up copy has all the dog-eared pages.

When I started seeing copies selling for outrageous prices on E-bay etc. I called Lloyds of London.

If anyone gets a chance to bag a copy this book, go for it.

Hey, Bill --- how about a reprint? Make some of that moolah for yourself. Last time I heard, resales don't include residuals.

Comment

It's a great book. I got mine autographed when I took his equally great seminar. If you can find it, it would pick it up.

Bill, if you are listening... When is your next seminar...? Hopefully in another gambling town.
              Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Re: The Secrets of Action Screenwriting:William C. Martell ...

Originally posted by Ben View Post

Folks are telling me that my action scenes are visual but at times too cinematic and conceptual -- over-cooked??
                I've got a copy.. I was one of the lucky ones who managed to buy a copy with the rear cover slightly damaged..

I bought the majority of Bill's Blue books and the odd red one as well.. Had the lot shipped over to the UK..

Only thing with THE SECRETS OF ACTION SCREENWRITIG is the book is out of print and Bill hasn't updated or republished or published a revision..

Lots of folk cry out for this book but it's just not available..

Bill is a very busy man who juggles his time between writing his spec scripts, writing his screenwriting lessons, his tips and traveling giving screenwriting lessons all over the US, Europe, UK and Hong Kong.. So he doesn't seem to have time to spit..

I recieved an email from him today because I'm on his mailing list and he talks about THE SECRETS OF ACTION SCREENWRITING and how he's found the odd book sold on eBay or Amazon for sometimes up to $300.. I think the last on-line seller the price was $87 bucks..

I would visit his web site and email him and ask him when he's going to update the book and publish a new revision because you'd kill for a copy..

As a side note, if you seriously want this book I would find as many other folk who equally want this book, make a list and pester the guy until he republishes because THE SECRETS OF ACTION SCREENWRITING is one of the best books on nuts and bolts of screenwriting you'll ever likely to read and that's not an overstatement it is a fact..

There's probably five books on the market which are essential for a screenwriter..

#1 The Hero of a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
                #2 Screenplay by Syd Field
                #3 The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler
                #4 Inside Story The Power of the Transformational Arc by Dara Marks

and

#5 The Secrets Of Action Screenwriting by William C. Martell

With those five books the world is your oyster..

#1 deals with the concept of the monomyth or Hero's Journey, the quest structure as discovered across many cultures, art, religion, song, poetry and stories..

#2 to #4 deal with structure, character, theme, tone, plot, subplot..

#3 Condenses #1 and simplifies the monomyth for the writer who may find Joseph Campbell's work a tad mindblowingly taxing..

#5 deals with the nuts and bolts of screewriting which the other 3 books leave out...

Here's Bill's web site, check it out..

http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Here's Bill's email address:- [email protected]

Comment

I am working on a new edition... well, *slowly* working on a new edition. Too many other things keep taking me away from it.

PS: Ben, there are tips that pop up on action scenes every so often on the website.

PPS: The next two issues of Script have articles about action scenes.

- Bill
                  wcmartell
                  Last edited by wcmartell; 04-26-2009, 02:28 PM.
                  Free Script Tips:

Comment

Sounds kind of boring. Are there any pictures?

Comment

I took pictures of some native girls, but they weren't fully developed... so I'm going back in a couple of years...
                      Free Script Tips:

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                        I took pictures of some native girls, but they weren't fully developed... so I'm going back in a couple of years...

Comment

Ha!.
                          You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
                          Paul Harvey
                          -
                          -
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                            Just use a digital camera Bill. Seriously, it's 2009.

(would somebody buy Bill a clue?)
                            Bot
                            Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Bill - oh my God, that was good!

wenoah - great description.

I've had a copy of this book, suggest anyone who wants to write a good solid action script should read this first before you start your draft. Also, if you haven't done so, I suggest you go over to http://www.scriptsecrets.net and look at his 'Tips of the Day' and really soak this information.

Comment

Working...
                              X