The final, final, final deadline..no really.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final, final, final deadline..no really.

What's up with this? Is Nichol the only one that has a real deadline?

I guess it's nice sometimes...but only if you KNOW about it. I'm not familiar with Austin, so when they say June 1st is it really June 1st?
    HL

Re: The final, final, final deadline..no really.

Ann, I think Page and ScriptPimp extended their deadlines to the 15th of May, but I was wondering about the Austin SW contest. It says the deadline is June 1st, but I'm wondering if it's 'understood' that they, also, will have extended deadines.
    HL

Comment

I think Nicholl is the only contest with one deadline. Which is why they get, like, 3000 submissions in 3 days. Everyone waits until the last minute to enter. So all the other contests do these multiple deadlines so they stagger their submission volume.

Personally, I never wait until the final deadlines to submit, because the entry fees are higher at the end and because I'm always afraid I'll run into some ugly technological snafu at the very last minute -- like the whole Nicholl mess this year, which would drive me crazy. I was so grateful I already had my script in when their website went down.

Anyhow, I say enter as soon as your script is ready. Saves you money and saves you stress.

(Of course, as we all know, you always need to proofread your script before you submit it.)

Comment

Originally posted by HLTassin View Post
        Ann, I think Page and ScriptPimp extended their deadlines to the 15th of May, but I was wondering about the Austin SW contest. It says the deadline is June 1st, but I'm wondering if it's 'understood' that they, also, will have extended deadines.

I don't remember for absolute certain about Austin's deadlines. Anybody remember what they did last year?

Comment

What's up with this? Is Nichol the only one that has a real deadline?
          yes b/c most other contests... no matter what they say... are really about making money. they always charge more to submit after the final deadline. they probably have a minimum number of submissions to pay for the prize money and they won't know if they've made that minimum until after the due date.

if they let people resubmit with new pages and the extra fee then there'd be a real mess so they don't even try that. lol!

Comment

Thanks guys. It's just that there were a few things I'd change on the script I sent to Page and Nicholl, and if I'd known I had a few more weeks (with Page) it might have helped.

I feel pretty good about this script now so I guess I'll submit to Austin now. However, knowing me, I'll still find something I missed or would do differently.

Do y'all go through this nitpicking your script to death? I wonder if I just need to learn to let it go and move on to the next thing.
            HL

Comment

I nitpick mine to death and call myself in rewrite hell. I always seem to see in a reread that I could have written something better or had overlooked something. And if I find a mistake, I'm sure that if I go through it one more time that I'll surely find something else and usually do. Some say that's being a perfectionist. I've never thought of myself as a perfectionist, but I guess I might be when it comes to screenwriting.

So I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.
              Last edited by Tig; 05-09-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Here's a red flag. If a contest extends a deadline it's for the money...Plain and simple. Case closed for all contests that do this. Don't waste your money.

Comment

Originally posted by HLTassin View Post

Well [tugs on his collar] now that you mention it...

This year we have actually extended both our early deadline and our late deadline by one week. The reason is because our website and email was experiencing "technical difficulties" (i.e. not working) last week and there were a lot of people who couldn't get the application or answers to their questions.

In our defense, this is the first time we have ever extended the deadline in 16 years. Bad timing I suppose.

Feel free to email me with any questions or complaints -- or you can just post complaints here if you like

Thanks,
                  Alex

Comment

Apologies, I should tell you the new deadlines I suppose.

They are:

May 22 (early Screenplay)
                    June 8 (Final screenplay/teleplay)

--Alex

Comment

Assuming you're a representative of Austin, Alex (which you might want to clarify since I also considered you might be Page and Script Pimp ), could I ask if you have any plans to allow PDF submissions?

Comment

Thanks Alex, for the dates. That actually helps a lot!
                        HL

Comment

Alex, will the new entry deadlines affect your notification dates? If so, what are the revised notification dates? Thx!

Comment

Alex can I just send you my money and you can buy something cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                              Assuming you're a representative of Austin, Alex (which you might want to clarify since I also considered you might be Page and Script Pimp ), could I ask if you have any plans to allow PDF submissions?
                              Yes, I am the Competition Director for Austin. I would love to accept digital submissions. We were not able to get a system in place for this year, but I will be talk to the Nicholl about how their system worked and pushing to have one in place in the next couple of years.

Originally posted by Nostalgialover View Post
                              Alex, will the new entry deadlines affect your notification dates? If so, what are the revised notification dates? Thx!

The notification dates are going to remain the same and those I promise we will meet.

Thanks,
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X