Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundance Creative Producer's Lab

I think Monday is the announcement date. A script I wrote and am attached to direct --Dysfunction Junction-- is in the final rounds with a producer. Anyone else as a a writer or producer up for the lab?

Tangential babbling.....

I was on the set of the low budget film I was exec producing this month and I started to get that sick "why I am not directing" feeling in my stomach. And then I was preparing myself for the eventual "what if" letdown of Sundance or, maybe it's called the "what if not" letdown. But then I started a discussion with the producer who is attached to DJ and I pitched an idea for a feature that could be shot for 10k in two weeks. And we both said, "F#*& it! Let's just do it."

Ironically, I have been working on an article on Exploitation of Concept for my first newsletter issue due out next month. This film is based on a very simple premise/concept and will be shot without a completed script. Unless the development and rehearsal process yields one. And the germination of the core of the idea was enhanced by an exercise I made students do in my class in DC last month (where their job was to exploit a concept I gave them).

It feels good to just know I am going to be SHOOTING SOMETHING. And it takes the pressure off getting in the Lab. And it's a weird synergistic dovetailing of teaching, writing and filmmaking.

I know, I know, get a room. Or a blog.

Just sharing and checking to see if anyone else is in that anticipation mode.

;-)

Jim

Re: Sundance Creative Producer's Lab

good luck jimbo!

methinks sundance has changed. it used to be about really talented nobodies breaking in. you have to be somebody to get your foot in the door, kinda changed. all the indie-loving stars want to be a part of sundance these days. it's more who you know now. not trying to take anything away from your chances though.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
      good luck jimbo!

methinks sundance has changed. it used to be about really talented nobodies breaking in. you have to be somebody to get your foot in the door, kinda changed. all the indie-loving stars want to be a part of sundance these days. it's more who you know now. not trying to take anything away from your chances though.
      I hear you. The last time I was up for a slot in one of their labs, John Leguizamo got a spot. Thanks. And Thanks.

Comment

Great minds must think alike. The title of my third script was Dysfunction Junction.

Best of luck with Sundance, Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandoraisme View Post
          Great minds must think alike. The title of my third script was Dysfunction Junction.

Best of luck with Sundance, Jim.
          Thanks. I don't actually get in. The producer and my script get in. But I will take it. ;-)

Great minds....yes.

Comment

but if that producer gets in can't he hire you as his director?

Comment

but if that producer gets in can't he hire you as his director?
              I am attached to direct. I was just clarifying that I am not the one who gets in.

Peace,
              Jim

Comment

hey - if someone/the leader on your team wins then you all win. filmmaking is a team sport

lol! you think leonardo thought himself a loser when he was the only one not nominated for an oscar in titanic?

oops! he probably did. bad example. sorry!

Comment

lol! you think leonardo thought himself a loser when he was the only one not nominated for an oscar in titanic?
                  Not if he got backend.

Comment

Speaking of backend, we didn't get in. Grrrr.

Comment

dammit, janet!

anyhoo - now you mean... HE didn't get in.

Comment

Working...
                      X