• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex McPhail
    replied
    Re: Austin or Trackingb?

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
    Austin is a great festival, but the screenwriting competition (for features) has not been that helpful to many writers (sure, there have been some, but not many in all the years it's been running). I was a finalist myself and never received any requests -- nor did it help me when I mentioned it in queries. Again, everyone recognizes that it's a great festival, but they really don't put too much stock in the competition (maybe its TV comp. is better than the feature one).
    Our screenplay competition is judged based on writing. We don't take into consideration budget or market viability in our judging. We do it this way because we are a writing competition and not a production company so we don't need or want to consider these things.

Now, what this means is that sometimes even our winning scripts are really not viable for the market place at that time. This can be due to several factors. Sometimes the budgets are huge and they are just not going to be optioned from a first time writer. Other times they are just not marketable, no matter how interesting or well done they might be. Regardless, what ends up happening is that we don't get as many outright sales from the competition. There are some, but certainly placing or even winning does not mean that you will have producers knocking down your door (if you find the competition that can deliver that, let me know). We do have a LOT of writers walk away from the experience with new representation and/or new industry contacts to work with.

We do promotion for our writers during and after the festival, but the best way to make these contacts is to be in Austin for the Conference and Festival no matter what level you made it to in the competition. We get a good number of success stories from 2nd Rounders and Semifinalists as well as Finalists and Winners, but if you don't come to Austin and you don't live in LA it is tough. Most of these people aren't going to pick up the phone and call you so it's up to you to meet them.

This is by no means an attack on any other competitions. From everything I know, TrackingB runs a good, fair competition and I encourage you to submit there as well as Austin. I just wanted to be clear about where we stand.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
    Alex McPhail
    Screenplay Competition Director
    AFF

Leave a comment:

• RGF
    replied

Austin is worth it if you attend, or if you win. Given the number of entries...you have a better shot of winning Tracking B. But Austin is fantastic if you go. Great seminars and atmosphere, and terrific networking possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• qualitycontrol
    replied

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
    Austin is a great festival, but the screenwriting competition (for features) has not been that helpful to many writers (sure, there have been some, but not many in all the years it's been running). I was a finalist myself and never received any requests -- nor did it help me when I mentioned it in queries. Again, everyone recognizes that it's a great festival, but they really don't put too much stock in the competition (maybe its TV comp. is better than the feature one).

On the other hand, I keep seeing that trackingb.com generates a lot of interest if you're a semi-finalist or finalist. I'd go for it over Austin.
    Anyone know if Austin is worth it for TV? Any input appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• winter dreams
    replied

Pasquali -- how would you characterize your finalist script? I've heard that Austin favors the character-driven, indie flavored scripts. Any credence to that in your experience?

Leave a comment:

• Pasquali56
    replied

On the other hand, I keep seeing that trackingb.com generates a lot of interest if you're a semi-finalist or finalist. I'd go for it over Austin.

Leave a comment:

• Anagram
    replied

Too bad Austin doesn't take online submissions.

Leave a comment:

• treacle_cutter
    replied

Thanks all. I'll probably do both since the deadline for trackingb isn't until Sept.

Leave a comment:

• Telly
    replied

Originally posted by polarpunk View Post
    You have a long time before the trackingb deadline.

What's Austin's deadline? If it's soon, do that one. I think TrackingB is like September? You should have time to scrape up more dough by then, yes? I wouldn't pass up either. Austin is the more established but TrackingB is the more upcoming and most likely far less entries to compete with. TrackingB is gaining some great buzz around these parts

Leave a comment:

• polarpunk
    replied

You have a long time before the trackingb deadline.

Leave a comment:

• LIMAMA
    replied

Both.

Leave a comment:

• NoNeckJoe
    replied

I'd go TrackingB. You have to be one of the top 8 to get anywhere with it, but people who've made it have gotten read all arpund town. I tihnk you'd get more traction from that than being a finalist at Austin.

Leave a comment:

• treacle_cutter
    started a topic Austin or Trackingb?

Austin or Trackingb?

I'm running low on disposable income and wanted to enter another contest besides Nicholl this year. Mainly, I'm looking to gain representation through a contest win or place. Which one, Austin or Trackingb, has a better history of getting finalists quality representation? Any comments would be appreciated.
Working...
X