Bluecat Screenplay 2009 Quarterfinalist Announced. What's The Point????

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluecat Screenplay 2009 Quarterfinalist Announced. What's The Point????

I don't know what to make of this list?

Happy and sad and disgusted!

Mixed emotion.

I'm stunned by the length?

What does this list really mean?

This looks more like a lucrative money grabbing business.

The list gets longer and longer every year -- why?

I could be wrong.

http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/winner/2009_finals.php
    You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
    Paul Harvey
    -
    -
    -

Re: Bluecat Screenplay 2009 Quarterfinalist Announced. What's The Point????

I noticed some of the titles on that list have been put down twice for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      I'm stunned by the length?
      The list gets longer and longer every year -- why?
      http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/winner/2009_finals.php
      Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
      I noticed some of the titles on that list have been put down twice for some reason.
      A couple thoughts on this:

The double listings are for resubmitted scripts, so technically one script can get listed multiple times.

Secondly, the list keeps getting longer each year because it's the top 20% and they've been getting more and more entries each year.

Both of these items seem to lead towards the general ego massage that is the QF list. Not that that's a bad thing. Some of us can use a little once in a while...as long as our expectations are in the right place. The semis and finalists lists are more interesting, but it's been debated here what the actual value of the whole experience is.

In my experience, I've been on the QF list 4 times in the past. It was SUPER for about a week, but then I had to get back to the whole writing part of writing and moved on. It definitely does not compare to the Nicholl QFs, which are announced next month.

That's my $.02...
      ED
      Really? Worst film you ever saw...?
      (beat)
      Well, my next one will be better.

Comment

The only reason I can think of for doubles is that their first entry made it through as well as their resubmitted entry. I'm pretty okay with not making this lengthy cut but I gotta say - I love the script I submitted so I'm a tiny bit bummed. Cookie crumbles and all that.

Congrats and good luck to the QF's!

beat me to it!
        Last edited by ; 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM. Reason: dang.

Comment

I actually made the list!

Who knows what it means, but I really feel like the feedback was great, and helped improve my script.

wenonah, don't sweat it....I bet you take Nicholl this year!
          HL

Comment

Originally posted by wenonah View Post
            'm pretty okay with not making this lengthy cut but I gotta say - I love the script I submitted so I'm a tiny bit bummed. Cookie crumbles and all that.
            I ditto HL on this. No worries, wenonah. Sounded like the first round feedback was a little, um, quirky this year. Good luck to everybody during this QF/SF season!
            ED
            Really? Worst film you ever saw...?
            (beat)
            Well, my next one will be better.

Comment

Hmph, I advanced to the quarterfinals as well. Good luck to everyone (to use an empty, but pleasant sounding phrase).

Comment

well, i didn't make the list. but it's probably because i didn't enter.

i just here to say i think it would be interesting if there was some real focus on some contest like this. i'm jumping on this one in particular b/c... say, the contest was to write the next project for an actor, philip seymore hoffman, for example. yeah, it wouldn't generate as many submissions but it would be more rewarding. actually, any actor, producer, or director could do this and the entry fees could help pay for the production... or their mortgage and car note.

Comment

Originally posted by Unfinishe View Post
                  Hmph, I advanced to the quarterfinals as well. Good luck to everyone (to use an empty, but pleasant sounding phrase).
                  So you've posted on the boards twice, and one of those times was to congratulate yourself about a Quarter Finals placement? Good luck, dude.
                  Last edited by loopdesign; 06-25-2009, 06:38 AM.
                  "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
                  - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                    well, i didn't make the list. but it's probably because i didn't enter.

i just here to say i think it would be interesting if there was some real focus on some contest like this. i'm jumping on this one in particular b/c... say, the contest was to write the next project for an actor, philip seymore hoffman, for example. yeah, it wouldn't generate as many submissions but it would be more rewarding. actually, any actor, producer, or director could do this and the entry fees could help pay for the production... or their mortgage and car note.
                    This is a cool idea. Small film contest results in a small film! So if the BIG contests get an average of 4000 entries, let's say The Nikee Contest would generate 2000 — at 40 bucks a pop, that only brings us up to 80K. It's not enough. You'd have to incorporate a Nikee Film contest too, and the winning director would get the money to shoot the winning screenplay (?!) I dunno, would that work? Then, is there some kind of profit sharing on the back end if the film makes it to Sundance or whatever? Anyway, cool idea!
                    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
                    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by loopdesign View Post
                      So you've posted on the boards twice, and one of those times was to congratulate yourself about a Quarter Finals placement? Good luck, dude.
                      Calm down. It was just an excuse to bump the thread. I'm more of a lurker.

Comment

I made it in twice.

Though DID NOT make it into Page.
                        If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you. - J.C.

Comment

Good job, Wildchild! Congrats!
                          HL

Comment

Originally posted by HLTassin View Post
                            Good job, Wildchild! Congrats!
                            Thanks, HL. Congrats to you too!
                            If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you. - J.C.

Comment

Three scripts still in the running in this one (HORROR COMIC, WEDDING KNIGHT, and BURIED SOUTH).

Next cut announced on July 15th!

Wish I'd taken advantage of the resbumit but was busy working on a new script. Ah well.

Gordy runs a great contest. Nice guy, too.
                              "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X