• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Makes Movies Expo

For anyone within earshot: http://www.michiganmakesmovies.com/

I'll be there.

Re: Michigan Makes Movies Expo

I'll check it out. I'm trying to get a job at that new movie studio in Allen Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
      I'll check it out. I'm trying to get a job at that new movie studio in Allen Park.
      Good luck! My latest script is partially set in MI, so who knows...

Comment

That's not a bad idea with the new tax incentives.

I know a guy who got a call out of the blue not long ago to have his apartment used for Ed Norton's character in a new movie with him and DeNiro. It won't be long before movie productions are commonplace here, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
          That's not a bad idea with the new tax incentives.

I know a guy who got a call out of the blue not long ago to have his apartment used for Ed Norton's character in a new movie with him and DeNiro. It won't be long before movie productions are commonplace here, I think.
          That's cool! We need to hold the Legislature's feet to the fire, as some are bulking on the tax incentive package - somewhat understood given the state's ****can economy.

I'm truly saddened when I read here and elsewhere about young talented people struggling to make it in film and related careers. One thing that some production-minded folks may wish to consider is teaching their craft. I have a hunch that there is or soon will be a fair demand for such programs outside of HW, as Detroit and other cities look for ways to reinvent themselves, following the collapse of the auto industry and manufacturing.

I know of two colleges in the SE Michigan area that are just now formalizing curricula in film and TV production. Here's what I'd do: Get a MFA (or MA), polish your CV, makes some calls. I might even teach some Eng courses, then approach the Dean or program director of the performing arts department with an idea for a new TV/film production program. If you can show there's industry demand, funding, etc, you may have a shot.

Now that I think about, I'm going to send the Michigan Expo info to our performing arts director/Dean. Maybe plant a seed...

Comment

I'm a Michigan man myself, but I'm out in Vegas for the summer. Go MSU! (Just graduated in May)

Good luck at the expo.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
              I'm truly saddened when I read here and elsewhere about young talented people struggling to make it in film and related careers. One thing that some production-minded folks may wish to consider is teaching their craft. I have a hunch that there is or soon will be a fair demand for such programs outside of HW, as Detroit and other cities look for ways to reinvent themselves, following the collapse of the auto industry and manufacturing.
              Oh, definitely. This new studio had a conference a couple of weeks ago where they invited unemployed auto workers and introduced a plan to provide training in all sorts of below-the-line film jobs. They're supposed to be hiring 3500 people in the coming months, and this is just the first of three studios planned in the area.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...906040406/1001

Comment

I LOVE the idea of auto workers shifting into film jobs! They're natural grips and gaffers and all that-- techy and good at carrying junk around. I didn't even think of all the computer jobs. Awesomeness!! Go DETROIT! GO BLUE! SAY YES TO MICHIGAN!!!

Comment

Me and a gazillion other folks attended this yesterday. What a great day! It was a blast to shake hands and chat with agents, producers, writers, etc. It was a real treat to hear Kathy McKee and her actress sister speak about their experiences in the biz.

I know that there are some real *******'s out there, but I'm tellin' you, EVERY person I met yesterday, from HW or elsewhere, was very gracious and nice.

McKee, et al really stressed the point that this industry wants to see your portfolio, what you've done, rather than how much formal training you've had. She said, "If you're new, do something. Get on a set. Sign up to be an extra. Build relationships and then network." Her sister (I can't recall her name) told a bittersweet story of how when she turned 40, the roles dried up. The turning point was when her agent called her in NY, telling her about an audition for the role of a maid. Shortly after, she quit acting, took 3 years to learn production (selling just about everything she owned to survive), and then opened her owned company. Very inspirational!

Right after, I signed up to be an extra at McKee's talent agency booth; more to get a feel of the atmosphere, the practical nuts and bolts of moviemaking. It was kinda weird, they had us scrawl our name and phone no. on small white board, hold it in front of us and then snapped a pic. I'm still not sure why they were interested in what type of car I drive????

According to McKee, there are at least 200 registered/licensed films being shot or readying to shoot in Michigan.

I chatted with two producers about my screenplay, exchanged business cards and got two requests to read it.

David Dean Bottrell gave a nice little talk (laced with a whole bunch of F-bombs!) about screenwriting basics. He's very funny!

SAG reps were there telling actors how to avoid getting screwed; some scary and sad stories out there.

I actually bumped into three people I knew, two from the education field and one a radio/TV voiceover guy.

I met an actor who's done some bit roles for the Weather Channel's, How Weather Changed History. We were both starving. The concession line was way long. Realizing we'd never make our next workshop, he says, "Hey, they're givin' candy and water away at the booths." We cut out of line and make a mad dash to the booths, feigning interest and snatching kit kats from the table!

All in all, a great time! I learned some things, got a stack of business cards to network from and had a whole lot of fun.
                  Last edited by bioprofessor; 07-13-2009, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I missed the Expo but met Erik Bauer--former owner of Creative Screenwriting--up here in MI (I went to UM) to scout some locations today for a low budget thriller we might shoot out here. We were in the Manistee forest and checked out a guy's property who had 700 acres on a lake in Muskegon. This 40% incentive thing is pretty amazing. If you make a 300k movie, to be able to promise 100k back to your investors is pretty sick.

There are a bunch of people up here excited to be part of movies.

Comment

I had to miss the expo, unfortunately.

I did recently see Thomas Jane in Wyandotte, though. So that was pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X