And the official 5 finalists of the Scriptshadow Screenplay Contest are...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: And the official 5 finalists of the Scriptshadow Screenplay Contest are...

when I went to work today I last read post #57, wow, the posts started going down hill after that. the way I see it is Wilson let us all win just by giving us a free read. Because of my entry's genre I was pretty sure it wouldn't make it, but I am still glad a reader like wilson gave it the once over. thank you Wilson and congrats to all the finalists.

Comment

• Re: And the official 5 finalists of the Scriptshadow Screenplay Contest are...

Originally posted by ScriptShadow View Post

And guys, don't get too wrapped up in this. Seriously.
      Bu...bu..but you're Scriptshadow....?

I wasn't even in the contest hehe...which is why I think you should tell me the other four just in case something happens to you.

I can be Switzerland.
      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Honestly, I read this script that sold for a million bucks this weekend and had it been in this contest, I kid you not the script would not have finished Top 80. I swear to you. So what does it mean really?
        Means you've given five* of us DDers a shot at the gold ring. Good work. Hope the drama doesn't discourage you from giving this another go down the road, 'cause it's something special.

*Well, a hundred of us, actually.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Honestly, I read this script that sold for a million bucks this weekend and had it been in this contest, I kid you not the script would not have finished Top 80. I swear to you. So what does it mean really?
          It means eighty of us will be millionaires before the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
            It means eighty of us will be millionaires before the end of the year.
            sounds about right.

Comment

Whoa! Best action film of the contest? Sweet deal! Thanks for such a high compliment, SS. I'm glad the script was as fun for you to read as it was for me to write.

Congrats to the other three mentioned. I know SS was having a hard time making that final decision. It seems there's one heck of a talent pool here.
              For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
              Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

Those were 4 of the 8 that were battling for those last two slots. Should I just never post the second foursome so everyone can think they're theirs?

And guys, don't get too wrapped up in this. Seriously. If you read Scriptshadow, you know how picky and quirky I can be with what works and what doesn't (I've trashed scripts that sold for a million dollars - which I'll be doing again this week btw). It's just one person's opinion. There were some very well-written scripts that just weren't my cup of tea.

Treehouse gang? (Just a guess)
                Last edited by Jules; 07-19-2009, 02:02 AM. Reason: a
                It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Chavaden
                  Title: Blood Snow
                  Genre: Ensemble Drama
                  Logline: Four dysfunctional families converge in a devastating chain of events.

This dark drama had some shades of American Beauty in it. A unique cast of characters. Not enough drive behind the story though (yet).

Phatgirl
                  Title: Scout's Honor
                  Genre: Comedy
                  Logline: An unscrupulous businessman must re-earn his childhood Eagle Scout award in order to hold onto a big high-profile client. In the process, he reconnects with his 11 year old son.

This was my favorite comedy of the bunch. I was laughing all over the place. Would've liked to have seen a slightly more convincing setup, but overall, good stuff.

RGF
                  Title: Meltdown
                  Genre: Ensemble Comedy
                  Logline: Over the course of one strange day, customers and employees of the Holiday Furniture Company suffer through an escalating series of emotional, physical and mechanical meltdowns...until one staggering moment of synchronicity turns city-wide chaos to order.

RGF probably had the most unique voice of all the scripts I read. Much like Blood Snow though, there wasn't a lot driving the story. Figure that part out, and I can see this script impressing a lot of people.

JonnyAtlas
                  Title: Empty Pockets and a Loaded Gun
                  Genre: Action
                  Logline: When an impoverished barista's secret life as a hitman comes crashing into his "normal" world, he must fight his way through government agents and mafia henchmen in order to protect and finally live happily-ever-after with his pacifist girlfriend.

Jonny had the best action film of the contest. I told him I thought the action genre being pretty far down on my favorites list hurt him. But this one was a fun ride.

I hope to do more of these soon.

Wow....nice way to wake up this morning. To even be amongst this group of Finalists and Honorable Mentions makes me feel like a winner...considering the amazing talent pool here at DDP. Thanks, Wilson, for the compliment, and the kick in the ass!

Comment

Those were 4 of the 8 that were battling for those last two slots. Should I just never post the second foursome so everyone can think they're theirs?

And guys, don't get too wrapped up in this. Seriously. If you read Scriptshadow, you know how picky and quirky I can be with what works and what doesn't (I've trashed scripts that sold for a million dollars - which I'll be doing again this week btw). It's just one person's opinion. There were some very well-written scripts that just weren't my cup of tea.

In reality, my claims of wanting to hold on to pretense are just tongue-in-cheek banter.

I'd love to see more names- it's cool to hear about how good other DD'ers scripts are, and how imaginative the loglines are.
                    Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

In order to steer this thread back to the positive aspects of the contest, here are a few scripts that showed a ton of promise. And like I said, any of them could've jumped into that Top 5 slot. It really was a free-for-all those final days.

Chavaden
                      Title: Blood Snow
                      Genre: Ensemble Drama
                      Logline: Four dysfunctional families converge in a devastating chain of events.

This dark drama had some shades of American Beauty in it. A unique cast of characters. Not enough drive behind the story though (yet).

Phatgirl
                      Title: Scout's Honor
                      Genre: Comedy
                      Logline: An unscrupulous businessman must re-earn his childhood Eagle Scout award in order to hold onto a big high-profile client. In the process, he reconnects with his 11 year old son.

This was my favorite comedy of the bunch. I was laughing all over the place. Would've liked to have seen a slightly more convincing setup, but overall, good stuff.

RGF
                      Title: Meltdown
                      Genre: Ensemble Comedy
                      Logline: Over the course of one strange day, customers and employees of the Holiday Furniture Company suffer through an escalating series of emotional, physical and mechanical meltdowns...until one staggering moment of synchronicity turns city-wide chaos to order.

RGF probably had the most unique voice of all the scripts I read. Much like Blood Snow though, there wasn't a lot driving the story. Figure that part out, and I can see this script impressing a lot of people.

JonnyAtlas
                      Title: Empty Pockets and a Loaded Gun
                      Genre: Action
                      Logline: When an impoverished barista's secret life as a hitman comes crashing into his "normal" world, he must fight his way through government agents and mafia henchmen in order to protect and finally live happily-ever-after with his pacifist girlfriend.

Jonny had the best action film of the contest. I told him I thought the action genre being pretty far down on my favorites list hurt him. But this one was a fun ride.

I hope to do more of these soon.
                      Phatgirl rocks! Hear she's got an even funnier new spec on the way ...

Comment

The more curiosity fed, the better! We know it's very subjective, but it's still fun to hear about.
                        Twitter: @jboffer

Comment

Congrats to all five! Well done, guys!

Comment

My compliments to the finalists and honorable mentions. It's good to know that Scriptshadow had a hard time deciding. (Don't take that the wrong way SS.) What I should it's good to know there are so many future A-listers on DD. After all, we're in this game to take on Hollywood eventually so we better be at pro-level.

Thanks Wilson for providing so much excitement and discussion. I can't imagine the amount of work you had to volunteer. Kuddos.

Rum.

Comment

you know how picky and quirky I can be with what works and what doesn't (I've trashed scripts that sold for a million dollars - which I'll be doing again this week btw).
                              Congrats to everyone mentioned. Some really great concepts mentioned. Best of luck. Hopefully we'll see some of them officially reviewed on Scriptshadow after the big sale!
                              "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
                              - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
                                My script is an edgy no-concept drama.
                                Had to say one thing before I took a little time off.

This sentence really made me think. We all know a drama is a hard sell. And no concept?

I turned in a a high concept big budget script. Something that I have been pushing my partner to sell to Sony or Dreamworks.

I'm not saying I should have won by any means. I'm just saying that at a certain level, scripts need to be big and sell for a lot of money to take care of all of those concerned.

Actor's need their quote, agent's need their share, same with the manager.

A couple of years ago we could have sold a script to Fox Atomic, but it just wasn't an offer that would take care of everybody. There's a reason scripts are written a certain way.

If I've spelled anything wrong or if you don't believe me, please save your posts. I just want to watch the ESPY's and relax.

Jeff Shurtleff
                                Last edited by Jeff_Shurtleff; 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM.
                                "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Working...
                                X