And the official 5 finalists of the Scriptshadow Screenplay Contest are...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: And the official 5 finalists of the Scriptshadow Screenplay Contest are...

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
    This situation makes it very clear, as Joe points out, that consultants are merely unrepped writers trying to get into the business just like the rest of us. They hold no special powers, knowledge, or skill beyond what other skilled amateurs possess. They simply choose to charge other amateurs money for their opinion.
    Uh, Jim obviously holds some special knowledge and skill, because he [Ed. did pretty well] in the contest.
    Last edited by loopdesign; 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM.
    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

• Re: And the official 5 finalists of the Scriptshadow Screenplay Contest are...

Well, if he won Loop, I missed the announcement.

-------

Sorry to go on & on about this ... But the main point I was trying to make in earlier posts is...

consultants-for-hire like JM are not "industry insiders". They are for the most part outsiders trying to sell a script just like the rest of us.

Consultants may have an English degree & charge for their opinion, but they are esentially in the same place career-wise as the rest of us amateurs.

I think there's a tendancy to believe that b/c these people charge money that they have some extra special knowledge about writing & getting ahead in the industry. I don't think that's necessarily true. Very few of these consultants are working screenwriters, after all.

Not to totally knock consultants... I'm sure some of their advice & opinions are great, I just wouldn't pay any person $1500 to hear them.

Last edited by Laura Reyna; 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM. Reason: typos etc...

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

My best confusion is that Mr. Mercurio offers introductions to showbusiness people as a prize in his own contest. But then he entered Wilsonhead's where the prize is introductions to showbusiness people!! Who can clarify for that oddness, ha ha!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenda View Post
          My best confusion is that Mr. Mercurio offers introductions to showbusiness people as a prize in his own contest. But then he entered Wilsonhead's where the prize is introductions to showbusiness people!! Who can clarify for that oddness, ha ha!!
          I was wondering about this myself. Mr. Mercurio says he will introduce you to the players, why can't he do this for himself?
          Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Omar and myself are engaged in a heated debate as to which script will be the winner. It's a toss-up right now between two of the top 5 scripts. The debate has gotten so intense that we had to walk away or we'll end up killing each other.

We will reconvene this evening so cooler heads can prevail. A winner shall be announced tomorrow as planned.
            Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

How about TWO winners?

Now hug it out.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleWriter View Post
                How about TWO winners?

Now hug it out.
                Good point Pale. if these two scripts are so good, as to have two grown people getting all hot and bothered, then take them both. We get so wrapped up in trying to fine just one winner, that we forget that the real goal is finding writers who have the potential of being great.
                Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album View Post
                  Omar and myself are engaged in a heated debate as to which script will be the winner. It's a toss-up right now between two of the top 5 scripts. The debate has gotten so intense that we had to walk away or we'll end up killing each other.

We will reconvene this evening so cooler heads can prevail. A winner shall be announced tomorrow as planned.
                  Might I suggest a refreshing beverage with President Obama?
                  Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
                    I was wondering about this myself. Mr. Mercurio says he will introduce you to the players, why can't he do this for himself?
                    He can.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLucas View Post
                      He can.
                      oh I see now. He's looking for better contacts than he has access to for his own gig. Makes sense.

Comment

I think ScriptShadow did a really cool thing for the members here. I hope in the long run that the entire process eventually helps him in someway too.

I am inspired by the generosity and would like to find a way to contribute to this community in the way he did. I offered a prize to the other finalists in Private messages. I would like to donate up to 95 copies of my DVD Killer Endings to the nonfinalists of the contest who are interested. Not because anyone needs it but as a way to say HEY! After the dust settles, I will talk to SS about the logistics.

I am appreciative that SS ran this contest and will remain grateful. Thanks, SS.

Peace,
                        Jim
                        Last edited by Jim Mercurio; 07-31-2009, 06:56 AM. Reason: Writing is rewriting

Comment

Yeah, but do you or do you not eat cat food?

Comment

Jim, would it be possible for you to tell us some, or maybe all if you are feeling generous, of the things Tony Gilroy does that a newer writer may not. Having seen Michael Clayton a few times, I would be REALLY interested in hearing of some of the mechanics at play that I may not have been aware of. And yes, I did read the screenplay. I think there is a bit of snobbery among writers with technique. Like this guy can do things and it's brilliant. But if you do it, then you are not 'writing properly'

Thanks for your time.
                            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

There's no way I'm reading all that.

Comment

me neither.

but i must say, when men let things build up and fester in their systems it causes prostate cancer. so, it's a good thing for jim's sake that he let it spew.

Comment

Working...
                                X