Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenwriting Expo 2009

I'm planning on going for the first time to the Expo this year in October, but haven't registered yet because I wanted to hear from those who have gone in the past. Considering this is going to be my first trip to LA, I want to make sure I'm not wasting time and money, ya know.

Any feedback?

Re: Screenwriting Expo 2009

so far i've gone to every other one - that makes 3 out of 6 i think.
    anyhoo - you will not be wasting your time and money. have fun!

Comment

What do you guys think of going to the pitchfest thing there and pitching a web series I'm filming -- web series is adapted from a feature script I have.

Are people looking for stacks of paper or something they can finance? I mean-- maybe it's all the same anyway.

Comment

Can you pitch a web series? If that's the case, I should think about pitching mine.

Comment

I am considering attending and was thinking about entering a script in the contest as well. Nice little historical drama I'm just polishing. Then I looked at the categories:

- Action-Adventure
          - Thriller
          - Sci-Fi - Comedy
          - Family
          - Animation - Low Budget Indie
          - Horror
          - Fantasy
          Guess they're trying to tell me something.
          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
          Dave Barry

Comment

the great american pitchfest or the fade in pitchfest are better places to pitch your stuff and much more economical b/c you can pitch all day long and if you pitch to the wrong person then you can just move on to the next. at the expo you must be very selective b/c you don't have that freedom. but if you're going to be there and find a match/someone who's looking for what you have to offer, then go ahead and do it. and yes, there are a few looking for alternative and new media but only a few.

Comment

Hi, I'm new to the board, but not to screenwriting. I've been to two Expos, and I thought they were worthwhile. I'm sure there are better pitchfests, but I agree that it's worth a shot if you see a company that seems ideal for your project. Also, if they're still offering the Gold Pass, I'd recommend trying that so you can change your class selections while you're there.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisaw View Post
                Hi, I'm new to the board, but not to screenwriting. I've been to two Expos, and I thought they were worthwhile. I'm sure there are better pitchfests, but I agree that it's worth a shot if you see a company that seems ideal for your project. Also, if they're still offering the Gold Pass, I'd recommend trying that so you can change your class selections while you're there.
                Hey Elisa,

what exactly about the Expo's pitchfest made it worthwhile?

Comment

For starters, I live in Florida, so just being around other writers was great. One person I met out there joined my online writing group, and I also met up with another group member at Expo, which was nice to put a face to the writing.

I took some interesting classes. There's a huge list of them, and if you've been doing this for a while, you can certainly skip a large number. But I took a great rewrite class that opened my eyes to a new way to tackle rewrites. There were some other good ones too - specifically on the marketing front. They also have a live writing contest that's fun to enter.

Some people go out there thinking this is their big chance to sell a script. They believe they'll either meet someone influential or win someone over in the pitching.

I think if you go out with that mindset, you come home disappointed. You spend more time speaking to other writers than to anyone with a lot of influence.

For me, after both trips, I just left with a renewed interest in writing. One trip, I also took some time and met with a producer who was shopping one of my scripts for co-financing, so that certainly made the trip better. But the trip where I just went out for Expo was also very enjoyable.

Comment

I've never been to the Expo, but I've heard pretty good things about it.

However, save your $$$ on the contest, which is one of the worst-run of all the big name contests. The last two years, they've been extremely disorganized. It's not worth the money.

For more info, there are other threads about it on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                      What do you guys think of going to the pitchfest thing there and pitching a web series I'm filming -- web series is adapted from a feature script I have.

Are people looking for stacks of paper or something they can finance? I mean-- maybe it's all the same anyway.
                      Probably not worth it, as a general rule, there's not really any money out there for a web series.

Comment

PM me with specific questions. I went to the first Expo in 2002, and all years until this past one. Not sure about this year.

However, last time I posted with my opinions about the pitchfest vs. the classes, Bill Donovan emailed me for explanations ... which took up far too much of my time.

Love the Expo. Do not like the pitchfest or the contest.

Go, make the most, network, have fun and try a bunch of teachers on various topics if you want to get your feet wet.

If you have a specific genre, topic or weakness to address, I found it beneficial one year to really attack that one area with multiple classes so that you retain that core info.

Again, PM me if you have questions on teachers or classes and I will share my opinion privately.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Pro2k5 View Post
                        I'm planning on going for the first time to the Expo this year in October, but haven't registered yet because I wanted to hear from those who have gone in the past. Considering this is going to be my first trip to LA, I want to make sure I'm not wasting time and money, ya know.

Any feedback?
                        a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

I went 2 years ago (2007). It was worth it to me. Be sure to get the Gold Pass. There were some dorky classes so I was able to leave in the middle and go attend a different one because Gold Pass lets you get in to any class. There was one in particular that sucked - it was titled something like "Relieve Writer's Block." Sounds good right? Well it was about breathing exercises! Half the class walked out.

I also did the Pitch Pit - my first one - and rocked it! I pitched to 4 companies and got requests for my script from 2 of them - BIG ones - not your average joe-schmo production company. ... Of course, this was also just before the writer's strike so the guys I pitched to ended up losing their jobs and therefore my script never saw the light of day.... But I can still say I had a 50% success rate at the Pitch Pit!
                          www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000
                            There was one in particular that sucked - it was titled something like "Relieve Writer's Block." Sounds good right? Well it was about breathing exercises! Half the class walked out.
                            Don't see any purpose to that aside from coming up with the sequel to Waiting To Exhale.
                            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Last year was my first venture to the Expo and I loved every minute of it. It is well worth the effort and expense to be around other writers and thrive off the energy of your peers.

Meet a lot a of people, talk a lot, observe a lot.

It IS a good idea, as a previous poster mentioned, to take seminars designed to improve your specific screenwriting weaknesses.

If you're writing scripts with female leads, you absolutely CANNOT afford to miss Pilar Alessandra's Writing The Chick Flick seminar. This is gold for any writer looking to develop a good female lead.

Of course Michael Hague is a guru and for very good reason: His The Hero's Two Journeys seminar is also a can't-miss class.

You should also hear Tina Andrews speak if possible-she was the hidden gem of last year's expo. If she doesn't get you motivated nothing will.

I went to one of the networking events and ended up meeting both Bill Donavan and Pasha McKenly afterwards. They really are dedicated people who are trying to improve the Expo. they listened to every praise and criticism I had, and there was some followup after the Expo. I don't think any conversation or email with them is lost time at all.

If you're going to pitch (and I strongly recommend it if just for the experience of pitching) practice before you go. Have your idea honed down to a sharp two minutes at most--then you've got three minutes to chat with the Exec.

Be vibrant when pitching. Have your energy level up at every pitch--these execs WANT to hear a great story and it is up to you to keep their attention from the first split second. Keep eye contact. Know your story. Be pleasant, alert, and polite. Of course, if you're confused about your pitch or story is weak, you'll lose them no matter what else you do.

My pitch stats: 21 pitches, 13 requests to read.

Ken Rotcop also offers great seminars on pitching. Get there a day early and take one!

I loved the CS Open script competition as well. If you can't write under pressure, get out now. I was one point shy of qualifying for the second round but the judge's feedback was spot-on, so I felt a pretty good sense of achievement.

Amenities: I stayed at the Biltmore for 129.00 a night. An incredible value for a 5-star hotel within walking distance to the Expo. the Wilshire Grand is the host hotel this year and is even less expensive. Lots of good places to eat and a Denny's across the street if you're on a strict budget.

I regret not being able to attend this year's event but I strongly, strongly suggest you get there if you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X