Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screenwriting Expo 2009

thanks Mike, seems like it's what you make of it... I'll be there. As Wayne Gretzky says, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Comment

Truer words were never spoken.

Comment

yup.

rock on!
        a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

for first timers it's especially a great experience. you will be amongst thousands of other aspiring scriptwriters from all over the world... and sometimes from your own home town. network!

pick and choose your seminars wisely. but know that the free open panels are the best b/c these professionals are only there to help you. they're not trying to sell their expertise like some.

and if you can stay until the very end then do so. sometimes they give away stuff.

Comment

thanks for the info everyone, which pass do you recommend, the gold or the standard? My goal is to meet people and network, not attend how to seminars....

Comment

Well, I bought the gold, just cuz I think it's easier than picking and choosing. It also gets you access to all three networking parties. But it sounds like if you're skipping all the seminars, you might save money with the basic.

Comment

while i warn of avoiding "how to" seminars, i highly suggest trying to learn from people who are working writers like Will Akers and Bill Marsili.

readers / consultants like Pilar and Julie Gray are definitely worth hearing for different reasons.

take some classes and definitely hit the free panels.

the first year there were over 3,000 people there (2002), so you could hang out and "network." only a fraction of that attend now. just hanging out to "network" might turn into a weird situation with so few people there.

seminars and classes will also help you network and meet people.

it's a dance; 99% of the teachers will have a book or service. the question is, how can their content help you to be a better writer and/or better network in the industry.

Originally posted by nuvuefilms View Post
                thanks for the info everyone, which pass do you recommend, the gold or the standard? My goal is to meet people and network, not attend how to seminars....
                a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Don't forget to bring business cards. And don't just hand them out to agents and producers, but your fellow writers. The secret of networking is to network with everyone, not just people you think are in a position to help your career. Everyone at the expo has the potential to become the next big thing. What Mr. Goldman says every year is true, "no one knows anything."

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X