No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRACKINGB.COM Contest

Hey, guys and girls!

I'd like to take a minute away from arguing against fascism and for rational, thoughtful suicide to illuminate the wonders of the trackingb.com screenwriting contest (which is in no way affiliated with fascism or suicide ).

My bro and I entered this contest last year with a page-one rewrite of a script that made the Top 30 overall in the 2008 Nicholl competition. That Nicholl placement garnered us only two reads (good reads, but still). I believe it had something to do with Nicholl only publishing genre and title (our title was HEART, a drama - sounds prosaic, but the story is far from it).

Well, we decided to enter the trackingb.com contest as well, based off the endorsement of Joe 9alt and others. Good move.

It's a smaller contest, with some stiff competition, as only people that are actually taking screenwriting seriously enough to be tracking industry trends and such were exposed to it in infancy. Our rewritten script finished as an honorable mention with trackingb, Top 8 out of almost 800 entries, if I remember right.

Well, based off of that contest placement we got WAY more requests for our script than the Top 30 Nicholl gave us, and The Insider also put our logline up with the title on the website - a boon, in our case.

This put us in touch with a few managers and prodcos, one of which (manager) loved our writing but understandably had a few issues with the script's commercial prospects. We went ahead and finished a rewrite on another script and sent it to our new contacts. Lo and behold, we had a couple offers of representation.

We settled on a manager (the one previously mentioned) in June and last week, with him getting us in some very exclusive rooms, signed with a top agent at WME (so no, they are not on lockdown, to answer another thread's question).

The point being: this small contest has some weight to it.

Placing in the trackingb.com contest had more of an impact for us than placing in the Top 30 out of 5,224 entries in the Nicholl. This is no reflection on the Nicholl, just an illustration of what the trackingb.com contest can do for a screenwriter.

If your script is in sound shape and ready to go, you'd be wise to consider entering it in the trackingb.com contest.

I think the early deadline this year is September 1st. Get to work. Make something happen.

Re: TRACKINGB.COM Contest

Darn it, Lips. Now the word is out and those 800 entries will swell to 8,000!

Really, that was nice of you to share

And congrats on all the great news you mentioned. So exciting!

Comment

I remember reading the logline for "Heart" somewhere (?) and thinking it was a great premise. Congrats and continued success.
      "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
      - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

I wholeheartedly second all the praises lips is singing about the trackingb contest.

Just ending up an honorable mention led to to a chain of events that saw me eventually landing at UTA.

Can't recommend this competition enough.
        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Agreed on all counts. Landed my current rep off this contest as well. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Just to chime in... I was an honorable mention, got a manager, and within two months of placing, had a spec go out wide that is still getting us in rooms, and am now currently up for multiple assignments, while working with two high powered producers on other specs.

ENTER!
            http://twitter.com/JohnSwetnam

Comment

Ditto on all accounts. 1st year finalist, agent, big producer, and finally, notable actor. Amazing contest.

Comment

I'm in. Gearing my spec up for the late December deadline.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Count me in. Shooting for the Nov. 15th deadline.

Comment

I'm hoping to finish my new script in time for the late late deadline. If not, I'll just send in the one from the ScriptShadow contest.

Comment

Where do I sign up? I'll send something in.
                      I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                        Where do I sign up? I'll send something in.
                        http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=861

Comment

I'm in. Twice.

Glad to hear of people's success, tho' I was already on board.

Comment

Thanks for the link Lips. I'm going to shoot for the November 15th deadline. I think I have the first script lined up for it.
                            I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'll have three ready for November deadline.
                              If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                              Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X