Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming contests?!

TrackingB.com and what else are coming up??????
    a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Re: upcoming contests?!

MovieBytes has a list.

Or go on Withoutabox. You can search contests or browse contests.
    Ton out there.
    "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by C.C.Baxter View Post
      MovieBytes has a list.

Or go on Withoutabox. You can search contests or browse contests.
      Ton out there.
      I've heard the screenwriting world is small... even if you're far far from LA: I followed your tip to check out MovieBytes, and what's on the front page? An interview with a friend of mine. It did remind me we're long overdue for a game of Trivial Pursuit. Too funny.

Thanks for the recommendations. Two new additions to my bookmarks.

Comment

COMEDY SCRIPTS
        http://www.lacomedyshorts.com/lacs20...pts/submit.htm

extended deadline, Dec. 18

link to moviebytes' page

http://www.moviebytes.com/contests.cfm?category=All

Comment

Originally posted by RichMike View Post
          TrackingB.com and what else are coming up??????
          Though we don't have the best list in the world, you can also track upcoming contests off our front page. There is a list there to remind users of deadlines in the next couple of months.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

great! i need to open my eyes when on the front page and skip past those darn script sales!
            a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
              Though we don't have the best list in the world, you can also track upcoming contests off our front page. There is a list there to remind users of deadlines in the next couple of months.
              Hey Will,

This brings up a question you've surely answered before. How come you don't run a contest? Seems like a natural thing to do considering the potential of success and history DD has.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                Hey Will,

This brings up a question you've surely answered before. How come you don't run a contest? Seems like a natural thing to do considering the potential of success and history DD has.
                People have asked about it in the past and I've thought a little bit about.

For me, I just felt we do not have much to offer right now that a ton of other contests don't already cover; other than possibly making an earnest/honest effort of it. The time, energy and cost to run one can be a major hurdle. I wouldn't want to charge folks an arm & a leg to enter but we couldn't be as magnanimous as say the Nicholl Fellowship, for example. Granted no one would expect that from us, but still we need to bring in enough money to cover our time, costs, possibly reader costs, etc.

Also, since I hear & see so much chat about contests, good and bad, I'm a bit hypersensitive to doing a great job thus I'm probably a little to self-defeatist to try.
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Where they fall down is that the finalists don't seem to sell their scripts. There's a bit of a money prize, and a few get requests for reads, and it does seem to give a number of writers positive encouragement, but at the end of the day, it's likely only very few scripts are viable I guess, and maybe the readers aren't on target with regards to knowing what viable is.

The people choosing the winners should be agents, maybe the winners should get representation. Not just requests in their inbox's, but actual representation. Now, that would be a good prize.

It'd be a good contest if agents and managers were involved in the judging.

Maybe if you had ten reps, and a thousand entries, you could email the logline and first ten pages of a hundred entries to each, and whichever those reps select to read can be called semifinalists. And then every rep has access to all semifinalist scripts. And whichever one lands a rep is the winner.

Comment

I'm with Maralyn. I think I've entered 3 contests over the six years I've been writing. I never truted the "we'll get you exposure" award (outside of TrackingB). I mean, with enough work you should be able to do that yourself! If a contest was to secure a producer willing to purchase the winner, or at least option the script, that would be intriguing. The producer of course would be directly involved with reading the finalists and creating parameters from the start. Or, a manager/agent that's willing to take on the winner, that would also be cool. I think I've seen that before in contests out there, right? But the producer award, not so much.

Interesting.

Either way, Will. You have a good thing here so I get it. But if you ever decide to take a whack at it you'd have plenty of writers/resources here that would gladly hook you up with their reps and CE's willing to look at (secure) the winners. I for one would be thrilled to hand over some great connections to you to discuss options with. And I'm a nobody. There's ample somebodys on this board that would help too.

Just another thought to chew on.

Comment

Re: Upcoming contests?!

Those are all good thoughts, you two. I'll definitely keep that in mind. We'd want to standout and be a bit different with so many already out there so this gives me something to ponder.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                        The producer of course would be directly involved with reading the finalists
                        Except that "readers" are deciding who the finalists are. All contests do that. They eliminate by way of paying a group of people who aren't buyers to cull them. And readers don't know what's viable, only producers do. That's why they end up seeing scripts that were culled out of contests early winning Oscars. As opposed to winning scripts even getting produced.

And this whole thing of paying people to read scripts that they don't even like. Cruel. I don't see how anything good can come from that. It must all just look like mud to them. Eliminate the readers.

Tough love. Let reps cull by way of the first ten pages, then a producer chooses the winner, and both the writer and the producer get 10K each to develop the project.

Prize: A producer AND a development budget.

(best....contest....ever....)

Comment

Working...
                        X