Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shows for 1/2 hr comedy spec?

So I guess 30 Rock and Modern Family would be the obvious ones. Anything else?

Also, I went to a TV writing workshop at the WGA and the suggestions were to write a pilot not a spec to showcase "originality." Has anyone else heard this advice?

Re: What shows for 1/2 hr comedy spec?

A show that'll still be on the air.

A zillion SIMPSONS specs out there for that reason.

Extremely difficult (impossible) to write and sell a pilot. Plus, they don't want a 'premise pilot' as it's not a typical episode. But might fly in a contest.
    "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: What shows for 1/2 hr comedy spec?

Originally posted by Nuwanda View Post
      So I guess 30 Rock and Modern Family would be the obvious ones. Anything else?

Also, I went to a TV writing workshop at the WGA and the suggestions were to write a pilot not a spec to showcase "originality." Has anyone else heard this advice?
      Do a search on "writing a pilot". We've had some threads on this before. General consensus: it's good to have a pilot as a writing sample to show your voice. Pilot sales by newbies are exceptionally rare, but many people in the biz will read a pilot as a writing sample these days.

Speccable sitcoms? Whaddya like?

Big Bang Theory is an absolute hit, ranking near the top in terms of viewers in the 18-49 demo. It's also a hit show created by the showrunner who created the last bona fide sitcom hit, 2 1/2 Men. I expect there will be an avalanche of BBT specs, which may be good or bad depending on your POV.

Modern Family is another hit. Consistently in the top 25 in the 18-49 demo. It may be early to spec it. Things can change. Samantha Who tanked without its DWTS lead in, going from top ten show to cancelled in the space of a year. If I had to bet, I'd say it will stick around and become a bigger hit as more people discover it. Spec it if you like it.

Glee also manages to sneak into the top 25 in the demo. It's clearly the best new hour long comedy. If you love it, and you have a feel for it, spec it.

There may still be some people in the biz who don't consider animation specs to be good samples, but we're in the Animation Domination era. No way to ignore the fact that The Simpsons, Family Guy, and now the Cleveland Show consistently rate in the top 20 shows for the 18-49 demo. Even American Dad turns up occasionally in the top 25. Again, it may be early to spec the Cleveland show, but I'm betting it'll be around for years.

I'm keeping my eye on Community, and Cougar Town.

Weeds and It's Always Sunny are two commonly specced shows that have been around awhile. I don't think they're played out yet.
      If you really like it you can have the rights
      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Working...
      X