Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundance Film Festival

got an email which said notifications for entrants are going out this wk before public announcement. anyone submitted a short/feature/doc this year? btw, last year the public announcement was on dec 4 a thursday.

Re: Sundance Film Festival

In the past, I think those accepted were notified during the Thanksgiving weekend. I always assume that if I haven't heard anything by the Monday after Thanksgiving then I'm about to get a rejection.

Comment

Are you talking about the labs? I was a "finalist" for the labs and met with them. They called us individually and I met with the director. I had coffee with them. I'm saying this because it's not about emails with them, it's a personal decision that takes time. They will call you and meet you before deciding. If there was a notification date listed and you haven't heard from them, you have your answer. I got the call way before the notification dates came around.

As a side note, the process practically killed me. They "implied" that I was in after we met. I made a ton of plans and told everyone. Then a few weeks later they told me I was out (VIA EMAIL)

Just something to chew on

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
        Are you talking about the labs? I was a "finalist" for the labs and met with them. They called us individually and I met with the director. I had coffee with them. I'm saying this because it's not about emails with them, it's a personal decision that takes time. They will call you and meet you before deciding. If there was a notification date listed and you haven't heard from them, you have your answer. I got the call way before the notification dates came around.

As a side note, the process practically killed me. They "implied" that I was in after we met. I made a ton of plans and told everyone. Then a few weeks later they told me I was out (VIA EMAIL)

dang horrible process with the labs. i do mean the film festival though.

Comment

Is it true that it's pretty tough to be selected unless you already have industry-types recommending you and generally talking you up to them?

Comment

Originally posted by malfernan View Post
            Is it true that it's pretty tough to be selected unless you already have industry-types recommending you and generally talking you up to them?
            I would say it is pretty tough, though not impossible. The actor who played Mr. Eko on Lost was selected one year. I believe David Gordon Green was selected for the lab with All the Real Girls (after George Washington was rejected by the festival).

The whole thing can make you go crazy. Wes Anderson got into the lab with the script of Bottle Rocket (after the festival showed the short film), but the feature film was rejected from the festival.

Comment

That's just brutal.

Comment

yeah, that really sucks, telly.
                is it true that it's pretty tough to be selected unless you already have industry-types recommending you and generally talking you up to them?
                sundance used to be for the up and coming nobodies but it's grown so big that independent flick lovin' celebrities/actors get involved and mess up the fairness of the judging process just enough to make it not fair.

Comment

got the email yesterday night. im out.

Comment

My bro and I submitted a short we made. Haven't heard back yet.

What submission number were you, lordmanji? Did you submit through Withoutabox by any chance? Just talked to my producer, says he hasn't received any word yet.

Also in consideration for the Lab. Hoping to hear something about an interview soon. Our manager touched base with his contact there, who said our script got good coverage and they are "in the final throes of reading and decision making."
                    Last edited by ihavebiglips; 12-02-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                      My bro and I submitted a short we made. Haven't heard back yet.

What submission number were you, lordmanji? Did you submit through Withoutabox by any chance? Just talked to my producer, says he hasn't received any word yet.

Also in consideration for the Lab. Hoping to hear something about an interview soon. Our manager touched base with his contract there, who said our script got good coverage and they are "in the final throes of reading and decision making."
                      dont remember what my submission was. but i did drop off the movie on the day before the final deadline date.

good luck on the lab!

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                        dont remember what my submission was. but i did drop off the movie on the day before the final deadline date.

good luck on the lab!
                        Cool, thanks.

One more question: Was your submission a short or a feature?

Saw a rejection letter on the DVXUser msg boards... letter said they had a record 9,800 entries this year. Yowzah!

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                          Cool, thanks.

One more question: Was your submission a short or a feature?

Saw a rejection letter on the DVXUser msg boards... letter said they had a record 9,800 entries this year. Yowzah!
                          it was a feature =/ hopefully slamdance is nicer to me.

edit: just saw Grace which played at Sundance last year in its midnight section and man, that was a snoozer. i feel a little better now that i see what taste they have there.
                          Last edited by lordmanji; 12-02-2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

What's the hold up with the shorts announcement?

Comment

Originally posted by qualitycontrol View Post
                              What's the hold up with the shorts announcement?
                              just announced: http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/blo...s-for-2010.php

Comment

Working...
                              X