Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl success stories?

anyone here if any of this year's nicholl finalists/winners were optioned/sold?

or if any of the writers at least gained representation?

there was so much buzz around Pure, that i'm surprised i haven't heard of a sale yet....

but maybe i'm missing something?

Re: Nicholl success stories?

You'll start hearing movement after the holidays. Give it a couple weeks. I'm sure something will pop.

Comment

It couldn't have helped that just when the writers were getting buzz and momentum from their Nicholl win, a green-eyed, loudmouthed wannabe with a blog decided to rip most of them to shreds....

Comment

Originally posted by morecaffeineplease View Post
        It couldn't have helped that just when the writers were getting buzz and momentum from their Nicholl win, a green-eyed, loudmouthed wannabe with a blog decided to rip most of them to shreds....
        I believe his eyes are actually blue.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Those scripts are, for the most part, not mass-market movies. Nicholl loves to award the artsy, overly-dramatic, please-kill-me-now period pieces that would pull no real weight in the marketplace. The writers are going to get lots of attention and probably assignments, but don't be surprised if nothing actually sells.

(make no mistake: big congrats to the writers! especially the Pure guy who was the only one to get outside of LA. But Nicholl awards the scripts that are close to opposite of what studios are actually looking for)

Comment

Originally posted by morecaffeineplease View Post
            When I first heard that one of the winning scripts was a look at the white commercial farming industry in 2002 Zimbabwe, I naturally assumed there was already a bidding war inching closer and closer to the eight figure mark. It's just the sort of thing you can see Hollywood clamoring for. So you can imagine my outrage when a blog's review of the script killed all of that heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
              When I first heard that one of the winning scripts was a look at the white commercial farming industry in 2002 Zimbabwe, I naturally assumed there was already a bidding war inching closer and closer to the eight figure mark. It's just the sort of thing you can see Hollywood clamoring for. So you can imagine my outrage when a blog's review of the script killed all of that heat.

Duh, Zimbabwe is en fuego.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
                Surely you jest.
                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                  Surely you jest.
                  He's being "ironic" - refering to the ScriptShadow debacle...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
                    He's being "ironic" - refering to the ScriptShadow debacle...
                    He's also mischaracterizing the script, but who cares anything about accuracy when you're idly typing away in a forum or on a blog?

Comment

No one should be slagging off unsold scripts on the internet. No one's got the right.

Comment

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
                        No one should be slagging off unsold scripts on the internet. No one's got the right.
                        Why not? Where's that rule written?
                        If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                        Dave Barry

Comment

In the civilized mind.

Dump as much as you like on produced material. It's out there. But unsold scripts are delicate. And not everyone can read them and judge for themselves.

Bad form.

Comment

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
                            In the civilized mind.

Dump as much as you like on produced material. It's out there. But unsold scripts are delicate. And not everyone can read them and judge for themselves.

Bad form.
                            Agreed, very bad form and mean-spirited. Why erode someone's sense of accomplishment, for what reason? "Critical analysis"?? The Nicholl's aim as I understand it is to recognize quality writing, and it seems to me that those calling the shots as to which scripts win are well-qualified to make that call. Not so sure about the reviewer who delights in ripping to shreds.

Comment

It's a thoughtless and ugly betrayal of all writers. For them to feel so unsafe on the internet.

I think someone should blog in the comments section of his blog.

Like, why can't you get yourself a life carson?

Or, like, how come YOU can't sell a script carson?

Or, like, what makes you think your crap smells like roses carson?

Comment

Working...
                              X