Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptsavvy

Anyone here have any experience with scriptsavvy.net?

If so, your thoughts on the feedback? I've received mine for November and I was pleasantly surprised by its (mostly) praise. However, I'd like to know what's generally considered a "good" score.

Re: Scriptsavvy

Script Savvy gets a big 'thumbs up' from us. The monthly contest response is great but the key is their feedback - consistently excellent and the best value for the money. Generally you need a '54' score (out of 60) to make it to honorable mention. We've had one script make that so far. Regardless, the coverage is worth it no matter the contest result which is just a bonus.

Comment

Thank you so much for the response.

And, 54? Aw shucks. My score's a 50.

Comment

Great contest. Feedback is worth the entry fee.

Winning score depends on the month. Irin Evers won one month with a 59/60. Someone else won with a 57/60 another month.
        "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've entered once and was very pleased. I was an honorable mention and got several reads off of that, but didn't opt for the feedback since I'd had no experience with them before. I plan to enter again but this time with the feedback. I recommend it, good experience.

Comment

I don't know how generous the scriptsavvy people really are, but my dialogue is a 10, so... just gotta work on the whole "plot" thing.

Comment

I entered the contest once before.

The feedback was good in some parts, but terrible in others...they said I didn't use the proper font size. I never changed the Final Draft default, which is Courier 12. They also were very picky about commas being used or omitted for different emphasis on a certain sentence. They also gave me crap about mentioning a specific song and using capitalization for emphasizing words that are not sound effects.

However, the story and character bits were intriguing and helpful. They just need to lighten up a bit when it comes to format and other little things that literally don't matter.

My total score was 52.

Comment

I did it once, thought the feedback was generally helpful. I got a 54. I don't think I'll do it again but I may change my mind.

Does anyone get less than 50? I'm guessing not. Seems like this contest is primarily aimed to encouraging writers, so they seem to temper the criticism somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
                  Seems like this contest is primarily aimed to encouraging writers, so they seem to temper the criticism somewhat.
                  Sometimes more than somewhat. I know for a fact they have a directive to take it down a notch on tough love.

Comment

hmmm....I've never entered the montly scriptsavvy contest and after reading this thread I probably won't ever. I don't need sugarcoating...if I want someone to tell me how great my script is I'll ask my wife to read it.

If I'm paying for feedback I'd rather the reader over-scrutinize. If I don't agree with the reader, then that's fine. But it at least gives me things to think about. Plus, a little self loathing and demoralization goes a long way.

MT
                    If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Hi guys!

Donna White, Coordinator of the Script Savvy Monthly Screenplay Contest here.

A writer friend told me about this thread so I thought I'd shed some light.

Regarding scores, a good score is anything over 50. It usually takes something in the very high 50s to be considered for winner or honorable mentions. (We've only had a handful of authors score a perfect 60 in all of our five years of running the contest.)

The average score usually runs somewhere in the low 40s, so it's not true that we only give out high scores. It is probably true that people who don't score very well are less likely to discuss their scores with others.

In terms of our feedback style, it is true that our readers are told to be constructive, however, we do not sugarcoat our feedback. Readers are instructed to be honest as well.

Script Savvy's goal or "mission statement", is to help authors succeed. So our feedback is presented in a way that is meant to be beneficial for the author and to help them improve their work.

We do have a "no tolerance" policy for readers who get their jollies being snarky and condescending.

I'm always happy to answer questions, so feel free to contact me at [email protected] any time.

Thanks for the complimentary posts above, and happy writing to you all!

Comment

Working...
                      X