No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C.C BAXTER - A cheat and a LIar

Originally posted by editor View Post
    This contest is about who has the best title, not who has the best social network. For those of us who don't live in 90210, for those of us through a quirk in the post-9/11 laws who can't leave Canada, what worth is a Contest based on who you know and how effectively you campaign?

And advising people to vote for you on the grounds that you "need the money" is just disgusting.
    Wow...

I think that's a little overboard, isn't it?

Comment

Re: C.C BAXTER - A cheat and a LIar

Originally posted by editor View Post
      This contest is about who has the best title, not who has the best social network. For those of us who don't live in 90210, for those of us through a quirk in the post-9/11 laws who can't leave Canada, what worth is a Contest based on who you know and how effectively you campaign?

And advising people to vote for you on the grounds that you "need the money" is just disgusting.
      Gordy Hoffman, who runs the contest, encouraged the contestants to campaign for votes. The open nature of the contest was about drawing people to the webpage.

From Gordy himself...

While I encourage you to spread the word and ask people to support you, please consider not finding a way to cheat to win this contest. The restarting of this contest is largely due to our efforts to keep people from consciously cheating and finding a way to vote for themselves a hundred times an hour. This is not in the BlueCat spirit.
      Member C.C. Baxter was doing exactly what Gordy encouraged, and received only a few hundred votes, as opposed to some other contestants who had votes jump by the thousands in very short periods of time.

So before you come to this message board and call people cheaters and liars, you should investigate just a little to see if you actually know what you are talking about.

It doesn't matter though, because the open voting has been shut down. Again, according to Gordy...

The complaints about cheating and the complaints about the complaints about cheating have forced us to end the polling.

The BlueCat readers will determine the top four out of the finalists and the top 4 titles will each receive $250.

Results will be posted on our Facebook Page on Sunday, February 7th at Noon PST.
      So please, stop attacking someone for something they did not do.
      Last edited by TheKeenGuy; 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Re: BlueCat Screenwriting Title Contest

Gordy Hoffman who runs BlueCat invited campaigning.

Writers are an independent bunch. They can ignore my post, vote for me, or go to the site and vote for whatever title they prefer. Many of the votes your script received may have been from free thinking screenwriters who went to the site based on my link. If you read my posts I asked people to consider voting for me and that's all.

Google links for the contest page and people were posting it on internet gaming sites, myspace pages, twitter, you name it. If you've ever read a Variety or Hollywood Reporter you may have seen promo pages for Oscar/ Golden Globes/you name it saying "Please consider voting for ____."
        The Academy allows it; BlueCat shouldn't?

The problem with public voting was it allowed potential fraud through proxy voting (a quick google search explains how that can happen). This is why I suggested closed voting (one vote per person / the world of voters limited to previous BlueCat contest entrants OR a panel of professionals).

Fortunately Gordy shut down the public voting. A panel consisting of the BlueCat readers will pick the top four titles and each will receive $250.

Best of luck to everyone in their screenwriting careers.
        "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

No offense to CC or any of the other participants, but I think this contest is pretty inane anyway. What's the point of a "great" title if there's no great script to go with it?

People rarely remember titles anyway. When you look up what to see in the theatre, it's "let's see the Clooney movie" or "let's see Harry Potter." "Up" is a good title because it's short and easy to remember, but it's not necessarily clever.

Gordy's whole "Love Liza" explanation points out how useless the contest is, because people couldn't even remember if his title was supposed to have a comma or not. Clearly, if the comma changed things so much, then it wasn't a great title in the first place.

I've had real problems with how Bluecat does things over the years, and running a system where you encourage people to solicit votes then worry that people are soliciting too many votes over a title with no script or logline attached shows that the contest is pointless. It's not like you're going to query a producer saying, "hey, read my script, it won the BlueCat best title contest!"

Comment

Glantern,

Agree. Title doesn't get you very far but it's an incentive for people to enter the contest early. Fees for entering contests adds up quickly. Nice to have a chance to win a few dollars back. This is in addition to the main contest and nice to have an extra shot. Something like a First Ten Pages would be cool as well.

BlueCat has several other awards this year -- best script from a foreign country, etc. Not sure if it "means anything" either but I entered early because of the title contest.

Comment

If you are in it for the $$$, that's fine, I can understand that, but BlueCat really soils whatever brand name it has by offering all of these contests.

The main contest has been a major debating point on this board for years. Personally, the one year I entered, I found it to be incredibly pointless and the feedback to be completely worthless. Others, however, have had good experiences with it.

Comment

I don't see how making more opportunities for writers available to win something hurts the BlueCat brand. Notes are always a hit or miss. Not everyone will respond to your material.

I'll post the winners of the title contest February 7th when they are announced.

Comment

Originally posted by C.C.Baxter View Post
                  I don't see how making more opportunities for writers available to win something hurts the BlueCat brand.
                  Maybe it would if BlueCat had a brand???
                  "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I don't really think a "TITLE" contest is worth getting the competitive spirit up.

If the contest required that a script be made available to BlueCat once the title was picked, then the "contest" might serve a purpose.

I think that the contest is just another numbers game, to recruit readers, possibly new membership, and intice writers to enter their scripts (@ a $75 fee) in other contests.

I think just paying Evil $65 and let him judge your script on it's merits - you win......
                    Echo

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post
                      I don't really think a "TITLE" contest is worth getting the competitive spirit up.

If the contest required that a script be made available to BlueCat once the title was picked, then the "contest" might serve a purpose.

I think that the contest is just another numbers game, to recruit readers, possibly new membership, and intice writers to enter their scripts (@ a $75 fee) in other contests.

I think just paying Evil $65 and let him judge your script on it's merits - you win......
                      Echo
                      Wait, so you didn't have to prove that you had a script to go with your title?

Man, if I'd known that I'd have entered 'Megan Fox vs Jessica Alba: Jell-O Wrestling Frenzy'

Although actually, I probably could write a script for that...
                      "Only nothing is impossible."
                      - Grant Morrison

Comment

4 out of 20 will receive $250. That's more money than many contests pay for first place.

The scripts are still in the running for the $10,000 first prize. Win/win situation.

Don't get the complaints. Many contestants wait until the last minute to enter their script. This 'early bird prize' was a way to motivate early entries and keep the staff of readers busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post

Echo
                          Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                          Wait, so you didn't have to prove that you had a script to go with your title?

Man, if I'd known that I'd have entered 'Megan Fox vs Jessica Alba: Jell-O Wrestling Frenzy'

Although actually, I probably could write a script for that...
                          No, this isn't correct. You couldn't just enter the title contest. It was an offshoot of the script contest. No script, no entry for title contest.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

"No, this isn't correct. You couldn't just enter the title contest. It was an offshoot of the script contest. No script, no entry for title contest."

I didn't see that anywhere
                            My mistook

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                              'Megan Fox vs Jessica Alba: Jell-O Wrestling Frenzy'...
                              Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
                              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I was one of the four $250 winners. Not sure who the other winners were.

Comment

Working...
                                X