Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horror screenplay comps

I am going to submit my horror screenplay this year to comps. However, I am thinking it would be best to stick to competitions that focus on horror. What are the good horror screenplay competitions - any info much appreciated.
    826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Re: horror screenplay comps

PAGE has a horror category. And it's one of the best overall....that's a must-enter.

Comment

Join Withoutabox, and browse moviebytes.

Tons of info.

Comment

Champion Competition has a low budget horror prize. Prize is $500 or a rewrite/option deal for a micro-budgeted feature. Also, one of the quarterfinalists optioned his horror-thriller script to one of the producers who was helping to judge.

Last year there ended up being only 3-5 quarterfinalists vying for the LBH prize.

Peace,
        Jim

Comment

Re: Horror screenplay comps

I've had very positive experiences with ShriekFest and the Eerie Horror Film Festival. Both are very professionally run, plus I've gotten referrals from placing or reaching the finals in both. I also recommend PAGE.
          Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Slamdance has a horror prize/category.
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Slamdance still hasn't announced their horror winner yet and their TV winner last summer just happened to work for the company.
              Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Some good suggestions, I'll probably try Shriekfest, Eerie and maybe Page.
                826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

I'll vouch for ScreamFest, which I won back around 2004-05 with a sci-fi script that had horror overtones. It's far and away the coolest award/trophy I've ever received anywhere. I wish I could describe it (and how heavy it is), though this pic probably doesn't do it justice. I think it might have been designed by the late Stan Winston (not sure).
                  http://www.splinterfilm.com/images/screamfest_award.png
                  http://www.screamfestla.com

I think they're a strictly horror genre contest now, but it's not chopped liver. If I were a horror genre kinda writer and lookin' to get exposure via the contest route, that'd be at the top of my list.

Here's an old thread that might be helpful.
                  http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=2236
                  http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=30215

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned it.

Comment

What a mighty trophy. And yes, Stan Winston did design it. I've kept an eye on the contest, but it seems like the winners and finalists are too often schlocky stuff like nuclear squirrels and ghoul school. Also you have to enter hard copies.
                    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                      -but it seems like the winners and finalists are too often schlocky stuff like nuclear squirrels and ghoul school.
                      Ouch.

Sorry . . . couldn't resist.

I'm not a good environmentalist, but my wife is from New Zealand so it kinda balances it out.

Comment

The Nicholl has proved to be a horror screenplay competion for me.
                        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Me and your wife might have a little something in common, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                            Me and your wife might have a little something in common, Michael
                            Sounds kinky.

Hey, you from NZ then? Or just an environmentalist?

Knowing New Zealand, you guys probably know each other, too.

Comment

Check Pm
                              Last edited by Jules; 02-13-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X