Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script P.I.M.P.

Anyone have any experience with this contest?

http://www.scriptpimp.com/two/index....TOKEN=64435454

Re: Script P.I.M.P.

I won their random Subscription prize one year. My only experience.

Comment

I don't know much about Script PIMP, other than it pays its analysts a miserable rate. It strikes me as a coverage-factory with low standards.

A lot of these smaller outfits run screenplay competitions purely to generate profit/business. They might persuade a couple of low-end managers or indie producers to act as "judges" but often it's all smoke and mirrors. I once knew a crappy manager who started a competition just to make some $$ and maybe find a diamond in the rough. It worked for him, but I can promise you none of the "winners" got much out of it.

Stick to the screenwriting competitions which have some esteem and other DD'ers have had great experience with.
      NOTES / COVERAGE
      15,000+ Screenplays
      [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Well, I just tried to send them $90 for two scripts, but their on-line form didn't work, so... I spent about 15 minutes creating 2 "projects" on Without-a-Box to submit that way, but then I didn't qualify for the 10% discount. After all that, I decided to save the moolah. I suppose I'm covered for contests this Spring.

Comment

sigh. i entered by accident. i forgot that i saw a craig's list ad where they asked for execs to read for their contest and i think they were paying something like 10 bucks a read.

Comment

any other feedback on this competition?

Comment

No one else has anything to say about this comp? I know that it is unlikely, but I always have a silly worry that an unreputable site will rip off my story. I entered the comp because a few other sites had some good reviews of it.

Comment

Well, I had a previous experience, though I can't comment on the possibility of some site stealing your idea. I mean, ScriptPimP seems to have been around for-ever (say it like a Valley Girl), if that means anything.

I was a finalist (Top 20) about five years ago for this sci-fi thriller I wrote and even flew down from Seattle to their little awards ceremonies event at The Comedy Club or the Improv (can't remember). Had a nice time . . . went with a friend who lives in Glendale. I did a crummy job schmoozing though I did chat a bit with fellow writers and all that hooey.

Anyway, they picked the four "winners" (I wasn't one of them) and then had photo-ops (with the winners) and I think we can assume all the prizes and customary press releases went out shortly after.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Chadwick Clough guy has a decent and fairly well-known reputation for running a straight-up competition and decent company . . .

Comment

Thanks for sharing you experience.

What became of your script? Were you able to generate interest in it? Option it?

Comment

Long story about the script, but the short answer would be "no" (for a lot of reasons). It's no fault of ScriptPimp and I would certainly not expect a contest to open the doors . . . yeah, a successful placement in certain contests provides a potential opportunity that might otherwise not exist, but at the end of the day, I simply wasn't ready to leverage the result and capitalize on the buzz.

There were other circumstances, but I won't bore you with the details. It also won ScreamFest and was a finalist at Disney/ABC Fellowship. I know, what the hell happened then?

Story of my life, mate. Bartender . . . another round.

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
                        Long story about the script, but the short answer would be "no" (for a lot of reasons). It's no fault of ScriptPimp and I would certainly not expect a contest to open the doors . . . yeah, a successful placement in certain contests provides a potential opportunity that might otherwise not exist, but at the end of the day, I simply wasn't ready to leverage the result and capitalize on the buzz.

There were other circumstances, but I won't bore you with the details. It also won ScreamFest and was a finalist at Disney/ABC Fellowship. I know, what the hell happened then?

Story of my life, mate. Bartender . . . another round.
                        Just stick with it - I truly believe that persistence really pays off in this business.

I also was invited down to schmooze after the contest, in 2005. I hadn't placed in contest, but I guess they were curious about me. Didn't go, my Mom had just passed. Always wondered if I had given up some grand opportunity. I did win won of those on-line subscriptions to an e-mag, and five (?) years subscription to their site.
                        sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Working...
                        X