Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nyfa

I've been looking into the New York Film Academy's one year screenwriting program, but I'm having a hard time finding legitimate reviews. There's a ton of mixed reviews for their hands-on film programs, but nothing for screenwriting. Any DDers take this course or know someone who has?
    Aaaa! Gobble gobble gobble gobble!

Re: Nyfa

Originally posted by Jack_Culver View Post
    I've been looking into the New York Film Academy's one year screenwriting program, but I'm having a hard time finding legitimate reviews. There's a ton of mixed reviews for their hands-on film programs, but nothing for screenwriting. Any DDers take this course or know someone who has?

Jack, if you are in New York, you would be far better served by taking The New School's screenwriting classes.

Comment

Re: Nyfa

My experience was good. They had us write a feature(1 for the entire course and story development for the 2nd) and a tv pilot/episode, learned how to pitch, produce a short from page to film, lots of scene studies, group discussions(but this can only be as good as the writing I found), I felt like there was a bad cop/good cop routine when it came to criticism(crucial for a new writer), and at the end, you get to pitch to industry professionals.
      I learned a lot because I walked in there without little to no knowledge on the techniques and structure of writing. In theory, sure, I read a couple of books and scripts. But when the material was broken down in group discussions, the experience cannot be compared from just going off excerpts in a book. The other main thing that had an impact on me is the immersion into the world of JUST writing. That, I think made me commit that this is something that I really want to do.
      The only thing I found frustrating at times was the lack of structure of the curriculum. Some days, we(students) decided what we wanted to do. I don't know if it was because the program was new(I went to the Burbank location) or because you can't rush creative juices.
      Overall, if you want a real beginners course and have the time to do it, absolutely. If you have written a few and have a good grasp of concept, structure, and dialogue, maybe just a writer's group would do.

Comment

Working...
      X